Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking for OP's bread yeast online. Should I get Active dry yeast?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
2 weeks in, lazily bubbling about every 5 sec
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198106/yeast__640_x_480__jpg-887550.JPG
View Quote
That's what I used. Worked fine so far
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198106/yeast__640_x_480__jpg-887550.JPG
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
You can buy it at any grocery store, Red Star is another brand that has active dry yeast.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can buy it at any grocery store, Red Star is another brand that has active dry yeast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Since I was brewing Skeeter Pee at the time, I used either EC-118 or Red Star Cuvee.  Skeeter Pee finishes at a higher ABV than beer, hence, requires a wine yeast like EC-118 or RS Cuvee.  Wine yeast is typically designed to take higher ABV than your typical beer yeast.

The mead I made in 2012 has a pretty high alcohol content, so it appears the yeast worked as planned.  I can't drink alcohol like I used to, so I don't brew any more.  

I have a bunch of the EC-118 and RS Cuvee left over, if someone wants it, let me know, I'll send it to you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
looks tasty
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, between the ammo storage and my pipe tobacco storage, I'm going to need a bigger house.   I can see this becoming another addiction I cannot afford...but will try anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hell, between the ammo storage and my pipe tobacco storage, I'm going to need a bigger house.  I can see this becoming another addiction I cannot afford...but will try anyway.
View Quote
Actually, it can become the opposite:  It's an addiction that is very affordable.  Back when I was making SP, the ingredients list was

6 gallons of water
Some propane to evaporate the chlorine and kill any wild yeast
Sugar (brown and white)
yeast
Some sort of juice (lime, orange, pineapple, apple, grape, whatever, combine as you wanted etc.)

The equipment was standard brewing stuff:  propane heater (most already have anyway), big kettle (look at your local brew club for guys upgrading to 10-15 gallon brew pots), some plastic tubing, a siphon (shown above, a couple bucks) and some space to brew (garage) and to store your wort or must while it's brewing (small man cave) and 5-6 gallon plastic buckets to brew in and 5 or 6 gallon plastic carboys to store your brew in.

Pretty simple, pretty cheap.  You can drink to your heart's content for not much money at all.  If it wasn't for my Afib problems, I'd still be doing it today.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
My mead efforts have inspired a friend of mine to start brewing again (didn’t know he did it in the first place). I may become his apprentice...
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
So my mead seems to be clearing up nicely.

I did see a bubble when I checked it out (I may have jiggled it loose).

What next?  Can it sit indefinitely with the airlock on? Does it need anything else to bottle it?  What would its shelf life be?

My son will be visiting before another batch would be ready and I will share this batch with him.

Thank you for all of the help in this thread.

I am thinking of blueberry or pomegranate next. Any tips?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Started a two gallon batch of JAOM today.  Well, two gallons of water, 7.5# honey.  Yummy!

Edit:  I stabilized the cyser last week, racked today.  My F.G. is 1.024, so 11-12%.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
24 days later - if mine is still bubbling, it’s very very slowly. It may be done. I seem to have lost a few drams of liquid (evaporation? Maybe just all the initial bubbles settling).
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
24 days later - if mine is still bubbling, it’s very very slowly. It may be done. I seem to have lost a few drams of liquid (evaporation? Maybe just all the initial bubbles settling).
View Quote
Yeah, some evaporates.  No big deal, you'll lose more to the lees after everything settles out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So my mead seems to be clearing up nicely.

I did see a bubble when I checked it out (I may have jiggled it loose).

What next?  Can it sit indefinitely with the airlock on? Does it need anything else to bottle it?  What would its shelf life be?

My son will be visiting before another batch would be ready and I will share this batch with him.

Thank you for all of the help in this thread.

I am thinking of blueberry or pomegranate next. Any tips?
View Quote
Yes, it can sit with just the airlock.  If it has stopped making CO2, you can change to a solid bung.

If you want your JAOM sparkling, you can add some sugar to your bottles, if you bottle it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hell, between the ammo storage and my pipe tobacco storage, I'm going to need a bigger house.   I can see this becoming another addiction I cannot afford...but will try anyway.
View Quote
Yep.  It's fun.  Half an hour of "work", lots of waiting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Day 31:

Starting to clear up nicely. Have some whitish sludge (lees) at the bottom of the carb: more sludge on the glass.  Stuff still floating.

Wonder what’s going to happen in another month...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, it can sit with just the airlock.  If it has stopped making CO2, you can change to a solid bung.

If you want your JAOM sparkling, you can add some sugar to your bottles, if you bottle it.
View Quote
In the interest of not hearing the bottles explode in the middle of the night, what are the quantities of sugar you've used?  In what size bottles?
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In the interest of not hearing the bottles explode in the middle of the night, what are the quantities of sugar you've used?  In what size bottles?
View Quote
I generally use beer bottles with the flip tops, 12-15 oz size for single servings.  If I were going to carbonate, I would use one of those candy sugar drops per bottle.

Any beer or champaign bottle should work, I have used regular beer bottles and caps.

Edit:  I haven't but I guess if you wanted to, you could use a priming sugar mix like when bottling beer, simply adjust the amount of sugar for the volume of mead you have.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I forwarded this thread to my wife and she started a batch in anticipation of my return home from deployment.  She's awesome.Attachment Attached File

After she sent me this pic, I realized I needed to have a quick talk with her on how an airlock works lol.

ETA:  Attachment Attached File

ETA:
Attachment Attached File

ETA 07 June:Attachment Attached File

I should be home sometime this weekend to finally taste this.  The wife says it smells amazing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Lost of great info here!!  I'm getting ready to start my first 1 gallon batch of JAOM this weekend!!!  I've made lots of wine, this looks much easier!
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I have about 3 weeks to go on my batch ...
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Regarding adding water- can this be done any time during the process?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, just add it slowly, and do not exceed the max fill lines on either side.

Edit, thought this was in reference to adding water to the airlock.  See post below for adding water to the brew.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, but it should be boiled for ten to 15 minutes to drive oxygen from the water, then covered and cooled. Add gently to avoid splashing. Oxygen added too late can ruin a batch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, the strawberry melomel ended kinda bitter.  The cyser, everybody says is too sweet.  So, I combined them. The result is much better than either alone. I'm gonna bottle it and let it meld for a while.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yea, just add it slowly, and do not exceed the max fill lines on either side.

Edit, thought this was in reference to adding water to the airlock.  See post below for adding water to the brew.
View Quote
I probably misread it also.  Yes, water into the airlock at any time, as above.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, but it should be boiled for ten to 15 minutes to drive oxygen from the water, then covered and cooled. Add gently to avoid splashing. Oxygen added too late can ruin a batch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Going to wait until I rack it, I think, since I’m going to lose some volume there too (3-4 more weeks). I’m trying to avoid fucking with it as much as I can until I consider it done.

If I’m going to sit around and drink mead, I need some chain mail and a drinking horn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Just filtered mine, wow. I love it!

This is a recipe you really can't fuck up. I didn't follow the instructions very well and it still turned out pretty tasty. I started this on Feb 15th, so it's been going for a month and a half. I'm ready to start my next batch  I need to get a hydrometer for the next batch, curious on the alcohol content.

Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is a recipe you really can't fuck up. I didn't follow the instructions very well and it still turned out pretty tasty. I started this on Feb 15th, so it's been going for a month and a half. I'm ready to start my next batch  I need to get a hydrometer for the next batch, curious on the alcohol content.

https://i.imgur.com/BGozBqk.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, good stuff.  My bottles didn't last very long.  Good job!
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/BGozBqk.jpg
View Quote
Mine seems a lot darker amber than yours... I wonder what is different.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone got a link to a good siphon? And what type of cloth/filter for the end of the tube?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I siphoned mine Sunday. Got a lot of dead yeasties in it. I’m letting it settle and doing it again in a couple of days.

I tried it. It’s pretty good and most definitely alcoholic. In fact, it’s stouter than I expected.

The smell is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I finally racked mine today.  I intended to do it earlier.  I hoped to have had it done early enough that my son and I could share it  while he was home for Mother’s Day.

I used a straw for a thief last week to see what it was like before racking it.  I couldn’t get much, and what I got I thought tasted astringent.  I was disappointed and just blew it off, and I decided to wait.

So I thought what the hell, and I racked it today.  Since I live in Florida, oranges are quite abundant.  So I used this ginormous mutant orange I found at a farm stand. And I did add a little ginger.

Mine is most definitely orange flavored.  The astringency taste turned out to be alcohol.  It is quite potent, but it is very good.

Now I have to make more because I don’t think my son will get back here in time to get any of this batch. I’m thinking blueberry.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Clean, floral... definitely drinkable.

70 days since I made it.

ETA using the dregs to spritz my ribs on the smoker today.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Considering starting another batch with wine yeast.

Heavier on the berries this time, with a touch of ginger.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#43]
What comes first?  Your finished Mead or the govt approving your NFA tax stamp.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Wife just sent this photo of her mead.Attachment Attached File

I’ll be home on leave in 8 days.  There’s a lot of things I can’t wait to do, and this mead is one of them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Now I have to make more because I don’t think my son will get back here in time to get any of this batch. I’m thinking blueberry.
View Quote
Do yourself a favor and use a real recipe though.
If I were you, I'd make a "traditional" mead with something like D-47 yeast and plenty of nutrients.  Most any homebrew shop will have yeast nutrient available.
After 2 weeks, dump in 2 lbs per gallon of (thawed) frozen blueberries and also add 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon.
Let that sit for about 2 weeks, punching the fruit down every 3 days or so to keep them from getting nasty. Then remove or rack off the fruit and let it sit for 1-3 months.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If I were you, I'd make a "traditional" mead with something like D-47 yeast and plenty of nutrients.  Most any homebrew shop will have yeast nutrient available.
After 2 weeks, dump in 2 lbs per gallon of (thawed) frozen blueberries and also add 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon.
Let that sit for about 2 weeks, punching the fruit down every 3 days or so to keep them from getting nasty. Then remove or rack off the fruit and let it sit for 1-3 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used the recipe in the OP but just threw in a handful (really scientific measurement) of well washed blueberries. They just sat there the whole time and eventually sunk like the oranges.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I just bottled my first batch of JAOM.  Damn, this stuff is great!! And easy to make!   It tastes so much better than any of the wine I've made over the years. It's a little on the sweet side, but not bad.

I just made a new 1 gallon batch last night....this time I used some of the yeast I use when making wine instead of the yeast. Hopefully it will turn out as good (or better) than the first batch!
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone got a link to a good siphon? And what type of cloth/filter for the end of the tube?
View Quote
This is the first time I have ever quoted myself.

Would this be a reasonable choice for a siphon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HK4VW7V/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top