Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2017 11:25:12 AM EDT
I started a batch of extract, 5 gallons, on Oct 10. It initially bubbled quite fiercely, but it is down to about 1 bubble per 10 second this morning, on oct 15. It was my understanding that it should have fermented for at least a week, maybe 2 weeks. I may not have aerated the wort properly. Is it okay to start secondary fermentation today?

Edit for a new question:

As my first brew was such a success, I brewed another batch, this time a Stout. Midwest Supplies, their Beer, Simply Beer recipe. It turned out to have a good solid 6.2% alcohol (much better than my first batch's 4.2%), but it doesn't have a lot of stout flavor. I was expecting chocolate, coffee, and malt, but I'm not getting much of that. Are there ingredients I can add during the boil to this cheap recipe, or should I just move on to a more expensive, specialized recipe?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have mentioned, I did take a gravity reading before yeast pitching. 1.039 if I read it properly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Airlock activity is/is not a sign of fermentation.

Trust your hydrometer exclusively.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Airlock activity is/is not a sign of fermentation.

Trust your hydrometer exclusively.
View Quote
Is it safe to open the fermenter repeatedly to take readings? I thought that would permit microbe access?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I won't be kegging, I'll be bottling. Stand by, I'll take a reading. What should I be shooting for, with an OG of 1.039?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The recipe doesn't show a target gravity. I got hung up for a bit, I'll check the gravity later today.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd just let it sit for 10 days-two weeks before checking. To get an accurate reading this early you're going to have to knock the suspended CO2 out of the sample anyway.

Let the yeast do it's job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The recipe doesn't show a target gravity. I got hung up for a bit, I'll check the gravity later today.
I'd just let it sit for 10 days-two weeks before checking. To get an accurate reading this early you're going to have to knock the suspended CO2 out of the sample anyway.

Let the yeast do it's job.
Ok.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My auto siphon seems to be broken, I'm testing it on a bucket of water.

Can I start a simple tube siphon with my mouth without introducing bacteria? Do I have to keep the tube out of the rising liquid? How do people without auto siphons rack their beer?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My auto siphon seems to be broken, I'm testing it on a bucket of water.

Can I start a simple tube siphon with my mouth without introducing bacteria? Do I have to keep the tube out of the rising liquid? How do people without auto siphons rack their beer?
View Quote
You have have an elevation difference, fermenter above secondary.

My fermenters haves spigots, except for the glass carboy.

Keep the hose submerged, otherwise you will have splashing, which introduces oxygen that you do not want.

As has been noted, I rarely, rarely use a secondary. Two weeks in the primary works fine, even longer if I can't get to it for whatever reason.

I have had beers that I never saw a bubble in the airlock, they went so fast. Overnight. Still let them sit two weeks.

I also rarely check gravities with kits. Relax, give it two weeks, proceed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldnt start it with your mouth, that could very likely put some bugs in your beer.
~2 min in this guy shows how to do it
Racking Beer without a Auto Siphon - Moving beer and getting Tipsy!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
First off, airlock activity is only the indicator of the initial phase of fermentation. Your yeast will keep doing stuff for 2 weeks+ -  even months inside the bottle  (bottle conditioning).

Second, with extract brews there isn't a huge need to transfer to secondary. It introduces more risk of contamination and more oxygen into your brew.  My first 4 homebrews were primary > bottling bucket.  They were plenty clear with a little time in the bottle.
A general rule of thumb for brews under 8% is 14 days in a fermenter and 10-14 days bottle conditioning and they are ready to drink and fully carbonated.

For sanitation I use starsan, I got a 32 oz sprayer from lowes and I spray down everything 30 sec before it touches any beer. I even spray down the neck of my fermenters before I open them up. And I sanitize the bung before I put it back in the fermenter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Bottled today.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:24:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bottled today.
View Quote
Good luck!  I bet it turns out fine.  I bottled today also. Brewers Best Mexican Cerveza, again. Nice kit. I have a blond ale in another fermenter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what gravity did it finish out at when you bottled?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bottled today.
So what gravity did it finish out at when you bottled?
I forgot to measure it, so I cracked one of my bottles this morning to test. Came out to 1.004. OG was 1.039. If I have measured and calculated correctly, that should give an ABV of 4.6%, which seems a little low, but at least it's in the beer range. If it were 2%, I'd be very disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#20]
And with my fermenter available again, I brewed a Stout this morning. OG was 1.058. Hopefully this one will be in the 7% ABV range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's pretty good for extract. I rarely ever had them go below 1.010 when I was brewing with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot to measure it, so I cracked one of my bottles this morning to test. Came out to 1.004. OG was 1.039. If I have measured and calculated correctly, that should give an ABV of 4.6%, which seems a little low, but at least it's in the beer range. If it were 2%, I'd be very disappointed.
That's pretty good for extract. I rarely ever had them go below 1.010 when I was brewing with it.
Thanks! After I graduate, I'd love to get into all grain.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]
This is why I make wine and not beer.  Heck, I fermentation with only a towel over top of my buckets.  There's enough alcohol not to have to worry about bugs or germs in wine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is why I make wine and not beer.  Heck, I fermentation with only a towel over top of my buckets.  There's enough alcohol not to have to worry about bugs or germs in wine.
View Quote
Okay...
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Sipping on my very first homebrew. Hot damn. It's as good as a Pale Ale that costs 11 bucks per six pack.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Yessir, some very good beer can be brewed with good kits. I do kits, partial extracts, mini mashes and all grain.  The only drawback for me and all grain is I have to find better water than my tap, and more than RO.  If I do kits, RO water is fine, as the water chemistry in the extracts is true to beer type, or so I have read.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump for a new question in OP.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bump for a new question in OP.
View Quote
What is the newest recipe?  Only then can we tell you what might work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#30]

This is he ingredient list.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/qM6lBTZ.png

This is he ingredient list.
View Quote
The oatmeal stout I have in secondary used twice as much roasted barley and chocolate malt.

Edit. The recipe is a mini mash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top