Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 12:04:17 AM EDT
Buys fruit juice to make wine or cider?

Walmart Juicy juice strawberry kiwi, 2 gallons, 3 cups table sugar, yeast nutrient and US05 yeast slurry from another beer brew.

Started on the 5th, racked today, still bubbling, still sweet. O.G. 1.07, S.G. 1.024 at racking. I'll use metabisulfite and sorbate, degas, then isinglass to clear,  backsweeten if needed with strawberry and/or apple juice concentrates.

Gonna be good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
S.G.still 1.024, so added sorbate and metabislfite. Tuesday, I will add some isinglass and degas.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I mean, you can, but you're not starting with the best quality juice to begin with. Juicy juice is what, 35% juice?

I would try and use 100% juice and then add sugar as needed. You don't want High Fructose Corn Syrup wine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The jugs say 100% from concentrate, no sugar added. I do check the contents for sorbates and such, and see the ingredients.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess it is not actually a wine, as it's only about 6%abv, I am merely treating it as such with technique. I figure the wife and neighbors wives will like it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The jugs say 100% from concentrate, no sugar added. I do check the contents for sorbates and such, and see the ingredients.
View Quote
Didn't know that, that's good to know.

Also I would say it's a wine even if it's only 6%. What else could it be? I think wine is just classified as fermented fruit juice- generally thought of as grapes, but could be anything.

If you want to raise the gravity, in addition to using table sugar, you can use frozen juice concentrates for more flavor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Didn't know that, that's good to know.

Also I would say it's a wine even if it's only 6%. What else could it be? I think wine is just classified as fermented fruit juice- generally thought of as grapes, but could be anything.

If you want to raise the gravity, in addition to using table sugar, you can use frozen juice concentrates for more flavor.
View Quote
If I need to backsweeten, that is what I use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Backsweetened, bottled tonight. It's clear, tasty, and after losses, about 20 19oz little "pure leaf" tea bottles.

Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife is drinking her first glass today. "If it wasn't so cold, I could guzzle this!"
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for that recipe!  I will do that one for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top