Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2017 10:28:22 AM EDT
I read about these in GD-had no clue there was such a thing. My "normal" IPAs are close to them but I do the west coast bittering (not as much as some do).

I love the fruity hops smells/taste not crazy about the bitterness-its gotten old.

That said, anyone prefer these?

I have a batch going so we will see.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a clone of Bell's two hearted ale bottle conditioning now, one of the few IPAs I can drink.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
So I made one and it turned out well, there were a couple issues. 1) lots of hop sediment that clogged up my bottling wand.  2) the flavor seems to fade pretty fast. Your batch lasts maybe 6 weeks.

That being said, if you want it hazy, a few things to keep in mind. Yeast strain and water chemistry are important. You want a 2:1 chloride : sulfate ratio. And a lot of people are using London Ale III yeast from Wyeast.

Lastly, lots of LATE addition hops .  if you don't do all these things it won't turn out like you want it to.  There's also protein-rich grains that some people use for body and haze.  Here's an example.

80% Pale 2-row
10% malted wheat
10% flaked oats

Bittering: 0.75 oz warrior at 60 minutes
Flavor: 3oz hops at flame-out  (0 minutes)
Whirlpool: 3oz hops at 155 degrees for 30 minutes

Dry-hop- 1 or 2 additions of 2-3 oz of hops.

Common hop strains to use for NEIPA include Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy
Also Simcoe, Amarillo, Azacca, Centennial

Whirlpool/hop stand.  Basically you put your chiller in the pot, you chill down to 160 degrees. Then you stop the chiller. You add hops, and stir it every couple minutes.  You hold at this temp for 30 minutes (it'll decrease over time) and then after 30 minutes you chill down to 70 degrees, aerate, and pitch yeast as normal.  Also, obviously, don't use whirlfloc or irish moss.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
yep, you gotta keep the dry hops in the beer or it will fade quick.

I repitch on the yeast and usually have a pound of so of extra hops in the fermentor as well as the extra dry hops for each batch. The new batch will only have 8oz to start for the 1st one.

I also use a dry hop bottle for my serving kegs- it keeps 2-4oz of hops always on the beer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top