Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2017 1:58:33 PM EDT
Been thinking about doing an elderflower metheglin with all the dried flowers I have.

Love the aroma of these things, and should go nicely with the orange blossom honey I have.  (Thinking about K1-V to bring out the floral notes, and then back-sweetening a bit after stabilization)

Question is, how much of these dried flowers should I use in a 7-gal batch?  I want the elderflower to come through, but not overpower the honey.

Thinking no more than 2 or 3 oz in secondary (or primary?).

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm about to do a lavender-blackberry mead and the instructions had me make a tea our of the lavender flowers and pitch that a few times. I think it was once at the start and once after I go to the secondary and add blackberries.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never done anything with elderflowers, so I have no idea how strong the flavor is.  Maybe start off with a lighter tea mixture for primary and "dry hop" with flowers in the secondary to taste?  Anyway, a recipe I saw online suggested about 3 ounces for a 5-gallon batch.  I used a 2 quart tea mixture for my dandelion mead primary on a 3 gallon batch, but elderflowers are probably a stronger aroma/flavor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top