Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 4:56:01 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After reading a couple threads I decided to try making a Mead. 5 gal of Mead and 1 gal of cherry melomel.

Mixed up about 6 gal of water/honey mix to get a projected ABV of about 12%.
Not sure how accurate my hydrometer is but whatever.

Added 1# of frozen sweet cherries (thawed and chopped) to a gallon jug, filled with the mead mixture, added yeast nutrient and us-05 yeast. 24 hrs later bubbling every 5 seconds.

Filled the 5 gallon carboy adding yeast nutrient and cote Des blancs yeast. Looks like boiling water! Bubbling airlock is constantly moving.

I plan on stirring the melomel every couple days.

Looks interesting so far
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking to make some Mead this year as well, first time for me.  
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Your melomel is self stirring, and unless you are simply agitating, the repeated introduction of a stirring implement increases the chance of infection.

It is however, your melomel. Do as you wish.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking to make some Mead this year as well, first time for me.  
Good stuff!
View Quote
Me also. Want to try the Pappazian cactus fruit melomel version!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your melomel is self stirring, and unless you are simply agitating, the repeated introduction of a stirring implement increases the chance of infection.

It is however, your melomel. Do as you wish.
View Quote
That was my initial thought. I was reading  last night and the theory was stirring helped remove co2 and pushing the fruit down/ mixing it up keeps it from drying out and affecting the flavor. We shall see. Won't be the first time I've screwed up
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That was my initial thought. I was reading  last night and the theory was stirring helped remove co2 and pushing the fruit down/ mixing it up keeps it from drying out and affecting the flavor. We shall see. Won't be the first time I've screwed up
View Quote
I de-gas after racking the must out of the fruit. ymmv.

My cherry mead, 3lbs cherries pitted and chopped.

Attachment Attached File

after racking

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
After a week the fermentation in the cherry slowed to almost nothing and the sediment was pretty deep so I racked it into a new bottle. Fermentation picked back up and it looks good.Attachment Attached File

The 5 gallon carboy is still bubbling away like crazy
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After a week the fermentation in the cherry slowed to almost nothing and the sediment was pretty deep so I racked it into a new bottle. Fermentation picked back up and it looks good.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/211099/IMG-20170417-193300-189651.JPG

The 5 gallon carboy is still bubbling away like crazy
View Quote
Looks great! Any new photos? Updates?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's time to rack them again. Left to right.. white Zinfandel, reiseling, Mead, and cherry melomel. The wines are just about done bubbling. The mead seems to be clearing, but very slowly. I'll taste it Tonite when I rack it and see how it is.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The mead had a very light honey flavor and is still a little harsh but is drinkable. I think it will smooth out quite nicely by the time it is 6 months old. The melomel is similar but not alot of cherry flavor. I'm happy for my first try
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Clearing nicely. Probably rack once more than bottle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You really make me want to try my hand at this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Do it. So far this year I've bottled 20 gallons of wine, five gallons of hard cider and will bottle this soon. I've given a bunch of the wine away and people love it. Doesn't take much time and is very easy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#13]
It's been almost 7 months since you posted this. I am curious about how your meads turned out. Updates?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Been busy here. One daughter got married and the other is finishing up college. Plus deer season. Life interrupts all my hobbies.

I bottled today and the Mead has mellowed quite a bit more and the honey flavor is mild but definitely there. Most of the harsh alcohol taste is gone. If it improves with age I'll be a happy man. Ended up with 15 750 ml bottles.

The Cherry melomel needs more aging for sure. Very faint cherry flavor, but more harsh than the original Mead. They started from the same batch.

It's been fun and I'll definitely make another batch.

Right now I've got strawberry wine fermenting and will be making a pink Moscato, plum and pear wine and another batch of cider this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top