Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 11:01:05 AM EDT
Moving to a new house and I want to ask some opinions about what to use as a top for my brew table.

Currently I have a 12 foot stainless table that has a sink on one end. It came out of a sams club bakery. It is lovely and works very well. However it is too long to use in my Garage at my new house. I am putting it in storage and will use it again someday.

Anyway, my new table is a stainless table frame that has, or had, cutting boards on it. Just like the one in the link 96 inches and plenty of room for storage underneath.

Here is the link to what my table frame used to be

My question is what should I use as a top? I will want to mount a sink into the end on the right side. On the left side I will have my hot water tank (220volt setup) and the rest will be open for milling, mashing, gunsmithing, and whatever else I need it for.

What would you guys recommend for a top? I have a place where I can get cheap granite, but not sure if having such a heavy top is a good idea.

Let me know what you guys would do.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps ask a welding shop to shorten your table?  It may end up being much cheaper.  If it were for my garage, I would build a 2" square box steel frame on polyurethane wheels.  May as well make a real brew station with the mash tank above the brew tank for gravity sparging. Build the burner into the table.  Use some nice valves, hoses, fittings from Beverage Factory.  Maybe add in a temperature controller, timer, auto heater for the mash tank.   Plumb for a cooling unit.  

Yeah, that project will get out of hand quickly.  

I haven't brewed for a while, but I may go that route.  I bought a commercial stove just to brew, so my brewery is simply my kitchen.  My next endeavor will involve a couple lagering friges.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Cutting it wouldn't be an option, besides I can use it for something else down the line. I already use a pump for hot water and to go from the boil kettle to the fermenter. I also have two glass front fermentation/lagering fridges. I have a burner that I bought that someone welded up that I converted to natural gas, so I'll be using that so I don't have to rely on propane.

I really don't want to go the rims route, I like the way I do things now, I just need to figure out what to use for a table top.

If it weren't for the keezer needing to be on that same wall (running taps into the house from it) I would be able to use my 12 ft table.

Oh well, at this point I think I'm just going to go the route of the granite unless something better hits me in the face before hand.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
damn double tap
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not go to home depot and see what kind of countertops they have available? They are relatively cheap and durable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Concrete. Stain it if you want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I have on it now, but they aren't deep enough. It said it was 30 inches deep but its only about 24 deep. Lost a lot of space that way.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Concrete. Stain it if you want.
View Quote

How would I go about doing a concrete top? I'm guessing I would build some sort of pan or something to pour the concrete into?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How would I go about doing a concrete top? I'm guessing I would build some sort of pan or something to pour the concrete into?
View Quote

Yes you would build a frame much like pouring a concrete slab and then disassemble the frame once the concrete has set.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top