Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 11:19:34 PM EDT
Can I do this with essentially a bucket, airlock, yeast, and some apple juice?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple answer, yes.

However, if you watch one or two videos on youtube, you'll be better advised. Search "making hard cider."
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
5 gals of tree top apple juice 100% (sometimes Motts if the store is out of tree top)
10 LBS table sugar (wal mart brand cheap stuff)
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
1 tablespoon yeast nutrient (wyeast beer nutrient blend)

No rocket science here, just dump everything in the carboy and let the champagne yeast do it's thing.Primary till all bubbling of the air lock stops then wait a week.After the week is up rack to 2ndary (optional)
I used "super-kleer K.C."{kieselsol-chitosan} in 2ndary (optional) to clear the cider and the stuff is amazing.Cold crash in the freezer for an hour and bottle.

Do not attempt to drive,operate heavy machinery,or anything requiring coordination or basic motor skills after drinking this.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright, here's what I did.

5 gals of Tree Top Honeycrisp Cider
4 lbs of brown sugar
10 oz of molasses
Mangrove Jack M02 Cider yeast

Initial gravity was 1.085, which was on 2/23 and today the SG is 1.005, if I'm reading it correctly. Damn bubbles kept lifting it out of the fermenter.

I'm going to let it go till the fermentation stops, and then let it sit for the yeast to drop out. That yeast is supposed to live up till about 10-11% alcohol, and it's right there currently, but fermentation is showing no signs of slowing down.

I don't think this is going to need to mellow, and I believe that yeast might be responsible for that.

ETA: Goddamn, 10 lbs of sugar? What's your SG? 1.2?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
IDK what the sugar content of his juice was. But 10lbs of sugar in 5 gallons of water has a SG of 1.092 and should yield 14.1% abv.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IDK what the sugar content of his juice was. But 10lbs of sugar in 5 gallons of water has a SG of 1.092 and should yield 14.1% abv.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My juice was 1.052.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm no pro in making ciders, but I'd recommend a dry wine yeast or another yeast recommended for ciders.

I used Nottingham yeast once (better for beers), thinking it would impart a sweeter flavor, but instead got a bread flavored cider.  Not so good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm no pro in making ciders, but I'd recommend a dry wine yeast or another yeast recommended for ciders.

I used Nottingham yeast once (better for beers), thinking it would impart a sweeter flavor, but instead got a bread flavored cider.  Not so good.
View Quote
That Mangrove Jack cider yeast I used is impressive.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was my only foray into ciders, as it didn't work out well.  Maybe I will try it again with a better yeast, like the one you mention.

Cider is the only thing I've failed at so far.  I've made some great beers and wines over the years but now I focus on meads mainly.  I've really been enjoying the "low maintenance brewing" that meads offer.  Just set it and forget it, basically.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That was my only foray into ciders, as it didn't work out well.  Maybe I will try it again with a better yeast, like the one you mention.

Cider is the only thing I've failed at so far.  I've made some great beers and wines over the years but now I focus on meads mainly.  I've really been enjoying the "low maintenance brewing" that meads offer.  Just set it and forget it, basically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cider is the same way, except it's ready faster.

Champagne yeasts burn through the wort really fast and destroy a lot of the flavor profiles. At least that's what my research indicates. I'm not sure why the ale yeast gave such a bready taste, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a two gallon batch with Lalvin KI-V1116 fermenting now. I think I'll need to age this like a wine before it's palatable.

Also have a 1 gallon batch using Fermentis SC-22, for comparison purposes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did that my first time
WAY to dry

I use Wyeast 1056 american ale now.
Makes a good cider
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did that my first time
WAY to dry

Makes a good cider
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that my first time
WAY to dry

Makes a good cider
I'll be trying that this year. I'm not impressed with Nottingham or Safale S-04.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The longer this stuff sits, the better it gets.

I racked the second batch off the yeast when primary fermentation stopped and it's just gotten better and better.

I'm getting a process dialed in, I hope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top