Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 1:30:28 PM EDT
Has anyone seen one of these or tried them? I am looking at going up from 1 gallon test batches to 5 gallons now. Just wanting some opinions. It reminds me of the V Vessel

The Catalyst

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen them before. They look interesting. I'm thinking about picking up a couple this coming summer for my cider and mead making.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks fantastic but it's a bit pricey. Still, I would love to have one and I could see a lot of benefits to it. You could make cleaner, clearer beer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You will have a mason jar sized air bubble float through your beer when you open the valve. I've seen that as a complaint with the "fast fermenter" conical, especially if you don't get all your trub in thefirst jar. Myself, I would fill the jar with sterile water first.  

I have looked at this one though. The mason jar angle is appealing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will have a mason jar sized air bubble float through your beer when you open the valve. I've seen that as a complaint with the "fast fermenter" conical, especially if you don't get all your trub in thefirst jar. Myself, I would fill the jar with sterile water first.  

I have looked at this one though. The mason jar angle is appealing.
View Quote

From what I read, the valve should be open when you fill the fermenter. There shouldn't be a need to open it a second time. I would empty it the second time into a carboy. I suppose you could purge the jar with co2 also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea and was planning on buying at least one to try out, but I think instead I'm going to give this a try. The price is comparable and it's stainless steel. It also has a thermowell with a LCD display.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/the-brewmaster-bucket

I think you probably can't go wrong with either one however.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From what I read, the valve should be open when you fill the fermenter. There shouldn't be a need to open it a second time. I would empty it the second time into a carboy. I suppose you could purge the jar with co2 also.
View Quote

I don't have one: just a question posed about the fast fermenter, which is similar. I figured the problem was surmountable with a little thought.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't have one: just a question posed about the fast fermenter, which is similar. I figured the problem was surmountable with a little thought.
View Quote

No doubt. Regardless of how surmountable the problems with the design are, it is something that should be recognized before someone spends the money on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top