BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How long did it take you to drop the temp?
View Quote
Honestly no idea , somewhere between 30-45 min . I was drinking with my neighbor who came over to escape from his wife for a while.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Honestly no idea , somewhere between 30-45 min . I was drinking with my neighbor who came over to escape from his wife for a while.
View Quote
Understood, lol. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
No brewing here.  Wife and I started Keto so beer is a no go for a while.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Red rye ale. Brewed 3 weeks ago tomorrow, bottled 6 days ago. Needs another couple days to finish carbing up but it’s done. Pretty impressed the speed of it all especially considering it came out to 7%. My og was a little high do to boil off and higher efficiency than calculated plus higher attenuation.

Nose, not much to be honest. Upfront you get a silky mouthfeel with sweetness from the carared that transitions to the rye spiciness and finishes dry with the chocolate malt. Pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I was going for.

Tomorrow I’m brewing something along the lines of a NEIPA using a grain bill and mash schedule of a hefeweizen(7.75lbs each Maris otter and malted wheat + 8oz carapils). First worting in an ounce of mosaic. Then an ounce each of mosaic, denali, and Citra at whirlpool, high krausen, and 3 days to bottle. I’ll be using a clean yeast. Hoping to avoid the famous neipa bottle oxidation with the recipe modifications while maintaining some haze and mouthfeel with the malted wheat and carapils rather than any oats.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Just finished the BB English ale, but made it an ESB. The kit came with 2oz of Tetnanger at 3.7 AA.  Looking at my clone recipe book, I added all of that at 60 minutes, then an ounce of challenger at 15,  then an ounce of EKG at 5.  Instead of the supplied Nottingham yeast, I used a slurry of London ESB yeast from a previous batch.

Looks like the OG is ~1.042.  It' not as dark as the Fuller's ESB clone I brewed previously, but I am winging this one.

ETA. Maybe a regular bitter vs. ESB.  IBUs about 30.

Edit.  Found a more user friendly IBU calculator.  Looks like 41-45 IBUs, so ESB it is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Yesterday I brewed my first attempt at an all grain pumpkin ale.
2 large cans of roasted pumpkin mixed in with the grain bill. Stuck/extremely slow sparge, even with using rice hulls.
Put in mixture of spices with 5 minutes left on the boil, added my yeast starter with English ale yeast.
I am happy with the color, pre fermentation, nice amber/pumpkin color.
Will let ferment for 2 weeks then adding a vanilla bean to the secondary for at least another week before kegging
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope it turns out well.  Videos I have seen put the pumpkin in the boil vs the mash?  Might not make a difference.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope it turns out well.  Videos I have seen put the pumpkin in the boil vs the mash?  Might not make a difference.
View Quote
Yeah, I saw it both ways. Saw some things that said putting pumpkin in the boil could release some undesirable elements, but I know plenty of people add then.
I will update in a few weeks when I give it a try
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bottled 5 gallons of my most recent cream ale tonight . Goin to brew it again with a slight tweak next week. Here’s a potato pic , I had to use my custom kolsch caps because I ran out of other caps Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2 large cans of roasted pumpkin mixed in with the grain bill. Stuck/extremely slow sparge, even with using rice hulls.
Put in mixture of spices with 5 minutes left on the boil, added my yeast starter with English ale yeast.
Will let ferment for 2 weeks then adding a vanilla bean to the secondary for at least another week before kegging
View Quote
I plan on doing this too. Going to take my cream ale recipie , add 10 pounds of roasted pumpkin in the mash and spices in the boil. I also got some Cruzan black strap rum and might add a shot into the carboy , this rum smells and tases  like the holidays !
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I plan on doing this too. Going to take my cream ale recipie , add 10 pounds of roasted pumpkin in the mash and spices in the boil. I also got some Cruzan black strap rum and might add a shot into the carboy , this rum smells and tases  like the holidays !
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would add rice hulls. It took me over an hour to drain the tun. That was a slow process .
Mine has been in the primary for a week. Think I will transfer to the secondary this weekend and add a vanilla bean to add a little flavor. Probably will also do a taste test and add a little more spices if necessary
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Today I brewed the BB blueberry honey ale.  Had some that a friend brewed and I really liked it.  Mild blueberry flavor, but the aroma is that of a stack of blueberry pancakes.

I will pitch the yeast tomorrow or Wed.

Edit: Wort temperature 72  degrees this AM, yeast pitched.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#13]
While I didn’t brew , I did open one of my recently bottled cream ales and holy crap it’s tasty, I’m getting very close to my perfect cream ale. So glad I got drunk last time and threw the Saaz in at 30 and 15 vs 15 and 5. My new hopping scedul was found ! Now to brew it again soon with a higher mash temp !
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Not bad , just a few small tweaks and I’ll be drinking the perfect cream ale !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not bad , just a few small tweaks and I’ll be drinking the perfect cream ale !

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/275279/1627E2B5-7206-4B55-AB84-5C8C0728C4BD-664076.JPG
View Quote
Looks great!  Think about making a lager with that recipe, if you have a way to do so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks great!  Think about making a lager with that recipe, if you have a way to do so.
View Quote
Thanks ! Lagers are no problem , I fermentnin a chest freezer. I’m trying to perfect this beer then I will move on to Berliner Weisse , after that I plan on lagering some beer over the hot months next summer. Maybe do like 20 gallons of lager and let it sit from April till October .
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tomorrow I will brew a pale ale.  10# 2 row,1/2# carapils, 1/2# caramel 40,  4oz Cascade,  BRY-97.
View Quote
Doing similar today.  Crystal 20, Bell's house yeast  are the only changes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Brewed a black ipa using mosaic and citra.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
1.08+!  Nice.

My pale came out at 1.042 for 6 gallons.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I brewed the saison recipe from fear the walking dead for my Oktoberfest party.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1.08+!  Nice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1.08+!  Nice.

Yeah I got my efficiency back to where it was after a few batches of low efficiency. But I built the recipe using the lowered efficiency. So boom! ~9%! haha. Unfortunately that means I may have underpitched a bit. But it was my excuse to pull the trigger on a stir plate and beaker. Fermentation was still vigorous for the expected amount of time. I’ll do a gravity reading in about a week and a half see where I stand and decided how long to give it before I dry hop. 2 oz each of citra and mosaic.

How’s the pale coming?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I brewed the saison recipe from fear the walking dead for my Oktoberfest party.
View Quote
What did you use for the "secret ingredient"?  My guess is it's brown sugar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Brewed the BB cerveza today.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 batches of mead going right now, and the stir plate is whirring with the starter for another 5 gallon batch.

6 gallons - mead with local raw wildflower honey - currently at about 12.5% ABV after 2 weeks... hoping to go further
3 gallons - cyser made with apples from my parents tree, that I pressed by hand.  Transferred to secondary after 12 days.

Next up is a pyment with Temperanillo Grape Must and Wildflower honey. I am going to start that tonight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What did you use for the "secret ingredient"?  My guess is it's brown sugar.
View Quote
@scottfire1957

Wildflower Honey :) I have a friend that is a beekeeper hobbyist and she gives me honey all the time. Used Bobek for the Slovenian hops (and leaf Saaz obviously), just kegged it today took a bit for the yeast (WLP565 and Wyeast 3711 looking for the spice with theses) to get that last bit of sugar out and get that dry  character for the style. Came in at around 5.6% ( wanted a more old style instead of the high abv modern sasisons popular today) and taste was pretty good with the standard Belgian banana/light clove and a nice array of fruitiness, lemon and flower and some back spice.   Going to gas it up pretty good and accentuate the spiciness.  Should be a crowd pleaser, fairly impressed as I don't do a lot of this style.

Also did an IPA with a bunch of cascade hops I grew for my 2nd beer which came out meh (my friend also grew hops and convinced me to drag my gear to his house to brew it, but he had some water issues (yay chlorine and who knows what else) and it didn't quite finish like I wanted but its drinkable after some cold conditioning and additional dry hopping, thought I might have to dump it which would have been a damn shame but the longer it sits the better its getting).
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#27]
How is it coming along? I’ve been looking at that recipe for a few weeks now and keep thinking I should do it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Brewing tomorrow, a Bass ale clone, all grain, BIAB.

Got this one brewed yesterday, pitched yeast this morn.  6 gal at 1.052 or so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Getting ready to pitch some Belgian Wit to 5 gallons of gruit. It has
1 oz marsh rosemary
1 oz yarrow
.5 oz bog myrtle
1 lb dwarf white peaches ( my tree)
3 lbs light lme
1 lb wheat dme
8 oz steel cut oats -toasted
10 oz crystal malt
1 pint wildflower honey
3 tsp Fermax yeast nutrient
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Brewed this Pliny Clone Last weekend. Tasted pretty good when I racked it to the secondary.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Made some yeast slants today and got a starter sitting on the stir plate for tomorrows brew. I'm doing an IPA with mosaic, citra and simcoe, and will also do a Berliner Weiss if I have time.

Using my 6 gal mash pot I built a couple weeks ago to make 3 gal batches that will go in my 2.5 gal kegs since it's cold I'd rather brew inside instead of dragging the 25gal blichman and all the crap to the garage. Also this gives me twice the amt of brewing to try things out with the smaller batches.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Bottles a session IPA today. I used an English bitter style mash bill(maris otter, victory, crystal 60 and crystal 120), wlp001, and then mosaic, citra, and denali. 1 oz each of the hops at 10 min, whirlpool and dry hop. The aroma is intoxicating. ABV is a touch under 4%.

Attachment Attached File

Here is the sample of it:
Attachment Attached File

The black ipa from about 6 weeks ago came out really good. I used citra and mosaic for it for a grand total of 12 oz that was about 4.5 gallons bottled. I think I went a little too low in IBUs for it though at ~50 for a 9% abv. Or the citra and mosaic just don’t have quite enough ass on them.

Attachment Attached File

Next up is going to be based loosely on arrogant bastard. I’ll use a mix of 2 row and Munich for the base, special b and probably some carapils. Hops will be CTZ, Simcoe, and Amarillo(just got in 1lb each of those from Yakima valley hops). I’ll use 2 oz of the ctz at first wort, then probably another kind or two around 20 min. Then 1.5oz each of the Simcoe and Amarillo at 5 min, whirlpool, and dry hops. ABV target will be 7.5-8%
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tomorrow I will brew a pale ale.  10# 2 row,1/2# carapils, 1/2# caramel 40,  4oz Cascade,  BRY-97.
View Quote
Did this again today, Nottingham yeast.  I think this will become my standard brew.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, i'm off all next week so I plan on brewing up two batches.
First on is going to be an ESB
Not sure yet what I'll do for the other. Anyone know of any good Black IPA / CDA recipes?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm taking a couple of days off next week too.  I need to find a winter beer to brew.  Any favorites for recommendations.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, i'm off all next week so I plan on brewing up two batches.
First on is going to be an ESB
Not sure yet what I'll do for the other. Anyone know of any good Black IPA / CDA recipes?
View Quote
I looked in my clone books and didn't find one, but there are plenty online.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, it aint the weekend but im on vacation.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Recipe?  I have ingredients fora Fuller's ESB clone for hopefully this coming weekend.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Recipe?  I have ingredients fora Fuller's ESB clone for hopefully this coming weekend.
View Quote
Its the Northern Brewer Innkeeper allgrain recipe.
I've been making it for years and its a damn good beer.

This time around I made a couple modifications, one intentional and one accidental.
First change was the yeast, I pitched Wyeast 1335
Second change was the 5min hops, I mistakenly bought Sterling hops instead of Stryian Goldlings
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Recipe for the fullers clone?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm taking a couple of days off next week too.  I need to find a winter beer to brew.  Any favorites for recommendations.
View Quote
I did an oatmeal porter.  It is happily bubbling away in the fermentation chamber.

It was my first time using a Wyeast Smack Pack.  Seems pretty cool and it is actively fermenting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Recipe for the fullers clone?
View Quote
From the book "Recipes for 200 Commercial Beers", page 170.  With minor changes due to availability of my local brew store.

9.4# British 2 row
8oz flaked maize
8oz rice or oat hulls
10oz British crystal 55 (I used crystal 60)
2oz

"

amber malt
2oz  aromatic malt

Mash 90 minutes at 152

5.2 abu Target hops @ 90 minutes boil. (I simply used the entire 1 oz at 8. someting IBU.)
Half ounce Challenger at 15 min left in boil with a worflock tab.
Half ounce Northdown at 10
1oz EKG at 1

Cool

Suggested yeasts are Wyeast 1968 or 1028, I used a pack of dry yeast, London ESB.

I did BIAB with 8 gallons of RO water, added a tsp of gypsum.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Brewed my second batch of the week yesterday and now they are both tucked in a fermenting nicely.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

From the book "Recipes for 200 Commercial Beers", page 170.  With minor changes due to availability of my local brew store.

9.4# British 2 row
8oz flaked maize
8oz rice or oat hulls
10oz British crystal 55 (I used crystal 60)
2oz

"

amber malt
2oz  aromatic malt

Mash 90 minutes at 152

5.2 abu Target hops @ 90 minutes boil. (I simply used the entire 1 oz at 8. someting IBU.)
Half ounce Challenger at 15 min left in boil with a worflock tab.
Half ounce Northdown at 10
1oz EKG at 1

Cool

Suggested yeasts are Wyeast 1968 or 1028, I used a pack of dry yeast, London ESB.

I did BIAB with 8 gallons of RO water, added a tsp of gypsum.
View Quote
Thanks!
I might have to give that recipe a try after this ESB is all gone
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Wife and I brewed a basic porter yesterday.  Been probably 6 years since I brewed anything. Looking forward to tasting it. Smelled really good during the boil.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks!
I might have to give that recipe a try after this ESB is all gone
View Quote
There is also an ESB recipe in the tacked share a recipe link top o page, very similar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Bass Ale clone mashing now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bass Ale clone mashing now.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Did 10 gallons of NE(ish) IPA (Simcoe,Citra,Mosaic) last weekend with friends for our annual Rally Race Trip and we drank 2.5 Gals of Mosiac/Galaxy 7.8abv :) while we brewed. Cold as hell in the garage and had to lug out the 20 gallon pot but still had fun. Dry hopped 2 days after in high krausen and sample yesterday was delicious. Will cold crash late next week and dry hop in the keg.

Might get to a chocolate stout I owe someone this weekend and still need to do the Berliner Weiss so it could be either of those if I find time tomorrow or sunday.

Need to build my Keezer and finish reading the brewing water book one of theses days too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wife and I brewed a basic porter yesterday.  Been probably 6 years since I brewed anything. Looking forward to tasting it. Smelled really good during the boil.
View Quote
Welcome back :)

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top