Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your cooler is this one right?

linky

Can you do 10 gal batches w/ this? I think I'll be sticking to 5 for now.

Did you put anything in the SS braid to keep it from collapsing?
View Quote

That's the one.  It can do 10 gallon batches of IPA strength beer and above a bit.  http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=123585

I didn't put a spring or anything inside the sleeve.  It hasn't been an issue for me, but I haven't brewed 10 gallon or high gravity batches yet.  It's pretty stout, so I think it will continue to be fine without a spring, but one certainly won't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a BB Belgian saison today.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I brewed a super-dark imperial stout this weekend. Boiled for 150 minutes and ended up having to add water because I undershot my final volume....
Even with adding water my OG was 1.103 so we are looking at 10-11% ABV depending on how dry it finishes. Last time I brewed this beer my yeast crapped out on me after 3 days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Brewed last weekend, there is now a dry irish stout bubbling away in my closet
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:BB robst porter, with added whiskey barrel chips.
View Quote

I have that Brewer's Best Robust Porter sitting in a secondary carboy as we speak.

Never thought about adding whiskey barrel chips. That's.. interesting.

I was going to add a hint of raspberry flavoring and attempt to copy Great Lakes Brewing's Alberta Clipper porter.

Any other ideas to add my own spin to it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Did a stout. I've done the recipe multiple times and it always turns out okay, and seems to get better with some age on it. So I'm going to bottle it and drink it later in the year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have that Brewer's Best Robust Porter sitting in a secondary carboy as we speak.

I was going to add a hint of raspberry flavoring and attempt to copy Great Lakes Brewing's Alberta Clipper porter.

View Quote

Even better, get an oak spiral on amazon. Boil it briefly in water (like, 2 minutes) to reduce the tannins. Then soak this in bourbon for up to a week. Throw this bourbon-soaked oak spiral into the secondary carboy, and rack your beer onto it after primary fermentation.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Oak-Infusion-Spirals-Winemaking/dp/B013S28UC6/ref=pd_sim_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y83WRD6PZMDP3782C82H#Ask

As to things you can do with the porter:

Add coldbrew coffee
Add cacao nibs or cocao powder
Add PB2 (defatted peanut butter)
Add mint extract
Rack it onto toasted coconut shreds or flakes
Add some real maple syrup into the carboy (preferably at least 3 days after fermentation starts)
Add some split vanilla beans, or vanilla extract
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even better, get an oak spiral on amazon. Boil it briefly in water (like, 2 minutes) to reduce the tannins. Then soak this in bourbon for up to a week. Throw this bourbon-soaked oak spiral into the secondary carboy, and rack your beer onto it after primary fermentation.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Oak-Infusion-Spirals-Winemaking/dp/B013S28UC6/ref=pd_sim_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y83WRD6PZMDP3782C82H#Ask

Add coldbrew coffee
Add mint extract
Add some real maple syrup into the carboy (preferably at least 3 days after fermentation starts)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add coldbrew coffee
Add mint extract

I did this with a stout, but a porter would work. Half pound of roasted hatch green chilis in primary, another half pound in secondary. Probably any mild roasted pepper would work. The few that have tried it thought it was very good.  If you just do primary, it might be more subtle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a decoction mashed German Alt recipe on deck, might brew that up this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#11]
20 gallons this weekend.

I've been using my keggles, but doing simultaneous brews.

Heat water, mash, sparge, while boiling 1st 10 gallons, heat/mash 2nd 10 gallons (no clean up of the tun), by the time I boil the 1st 10 gallons, 2nd 10 is ready to start boiling after mash.

double the amount, same cleaning, but only add 1+30 hr to total time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I brewed an English Brown Ale last Saturday. I finally got my efficiency up, but that means this beer finished at 1.069 instead of my target 1.052 !

I guess it will be a Brittish Strong Ale instead.

I now have 3 beers in Primary, two of which will be bottled this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
20 gallons this weekend.

I've been using my keggles, but doing simultaneous brews.

Heat water, mash, sparge, while boiling 1st 10 gallons, heat/mash 2nd 10 gallons (no clean up of the tun), by the time I boil the 1st 10 gallons, 2nd 10 is ready to start boiling after mash.

double the amount, same cleaning, but only add 1+30 hr to total time.
View Quote

Unfortunately that is one of the downfalls of using a single vessel system.  I'd really like to be able to do some batches like this.

I will be brewing a Pliney the Elder clone this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Unfortunately that is one of the downfalls of using a single vessel system.  I'd really like to be able to do some batches like this.

View Quote

Craigslist. Pot/burners can be hd for 40
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't quite figured out how I would make all that work with my brew boss system.

Anyways my Pliney the Elder Clone is bubbling away on the fermentation chamber.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#16]
No brewing but did get my mash tun built this weekend 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Working on my first all grain. CA Pale Ale.

I hope I don't eff it up 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Did an Amarillo hop, 2 row SMaSH today. Should be a nice, light beer. Og was 1.04. Windsor yeast starter.

Edit: I put this in the fermenter at 1530, using a Windsor starter from a month ago brew. 2015 local, and it is already bubbling.  I began the starter Wed. afternoon. 5 hours. Cool.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Working on my first all grain. CA Pale Ale.

I hope I don't eff it up 
View Quote
I feel ya. I got mash today to 152, stuck it in the oven at 150 for an hour.  Take it out, the mash is at 130. WTF? Heated it back to 160, back in the oven for 30 mins (with thermometer to check temp.) SOMEBODY turned the oven off. So, I have a sort of reverse, then obverse decoction mash going on.

It will make beer. It is a light beer, so I think it will be ok.  Might be my best yet. Ya never know.

Edit: brew in a bag, 7.5 gallons, 2 pot boil to reduce time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I feel ya. I got mash today to 152, stuck it in the oven at 150 for an hour.  Take it out, the mash is at 130. WTF? Heated it back to 160, back in the oven for 30 mins (with thermometer to check temp.) SOMEBODY turned the oven off. So, I have a sort of reverse, then obverse decoction mash going on.

It will make beer. It is a light beer, so I think it will be ok.  Might be my best yet. Ya never know.

View Quote
It's bubbling away so we'll see 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I am not worried. Beer will be made. Drinkable is another question, but I am confident it will be OK. I did today, make doggie biscuits from some of the grain. Those have been doggie popular in the past.

2 cups spent grain
1 egg
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup flour

350 for 30 min, 250 for 1-2 hours.

I add flour more than the recipe just to make handling less tacky. More egg to make it more malleable.

Recipe from www. barleyandhops.com.

Edit: these are people edible also. Not much flavor, but edible. I have et a few.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I am not worried. Beer will be made. Drinkable is another question, but I am confident it will be OK. I did today, make doggie biscuits from some of the grain. Those have been doggie popular in the past.

2 cups spent grain
1 egg
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup flour

350 for 30 min, 250 for 1-2 hours.

I add flour more than the recipe just to make handling less tacky. More egg to make it more malleable.

Recipe from www. barleyandhops.com.

Edit: these are people edible also. Not much flavor, but edible. I have et a few.
View Quote
Hmm I still have the grains outside in a trash bag but not sure if that would be bad.

Neat idea though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Brewed "Radiator Weizenbock" today. Featured in Southwest Brewing News Feb/Mar edition. I did a partial mash.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Doing a Fat Tire clone tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Doing a clone called Hopfella's.

20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.3 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %

Mash Steps

Saccharification Add 15.24 gal of water at 158.7 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Boil Ingredients

2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 30.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 15.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.1 IBUs
? Estimated Post Boil Vol: 12.48 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.060 SG

Yeast

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

Dry Hop

2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
My hi-tech setup from earlier today

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I brewed 2 in the last 2 days. Both IPA's, same recipe but with different yeasts and will have different hops used in the dry hop.  Basically my house version of a NEIPA/fruitbomb. Juicy tropical fruit, no bitterness.

12lb pale 2-row
1lb rolled oats
1/2lb cara 10

.5oz Galaxy @60
Flameout is 1oz each of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra for 30 mins
Chill to 170 and again 1oz each of G-M-C for 30 mins

Ferment with WLP644  Trois yeast @70F and let it free rise as warm as it wants in a 68F room.

After 3 days add 1oz each of G-M-C

When fermentation is complete dryhop with 1oz each of GMC for 2 days while cold crashing in the fridge.

One batch had a Belgian Wit yeast instead of the Trois, and is getting it's dry hop with Motueka, Azacca, and Hull Melon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Nailed the SRM and gravity on my Sofie clone, the real Sofie is in the glass.

I also purchased the ingredients for an interpretation of a Petrus aged red to brew when the starter is ready.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, brewed a batch yesterday. I hadn't brewed in about a year (I know, I know.) Felt good to get back into the swing of it but I remembered my hate for cleaning up afterwards; need to work on making that a lot easier.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#31]
No brewing but I did keg 10 gallons of an IPA I made 4 weeks ago.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Brewed the BB Mexican Cervesa kit today. It's a favorite of those folks I share with.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Last week I mashed, boiled for 15mins, cooled and kettle soured my Petrus red. After 4 days of souring I boiled, cooled and pitched a huge starter of Wyeast Brett Lambicus along with 2lbs of D-180.  I also bottled a batch of Belgian IPA, and added orange peel and wine soaked oak sticks to my Sofie clone.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I did the BB American light kit yesterday.

Tried something different when it came to cooling the wort. I had 2.5 gallons after the boil, and only cooled it to 175.

Put 3 gallons of water in the fermenter, then added the wort, and put in the bedroom, lid on.

Just now added the yeast. Temp was down to 72 after 24 hours.

Used a lot less water.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I threw some yeast and an airlock into and on another gallon of store-brand unfiltered apple juice, and swapped out a couple of blowoff tubes for regular airlocks so I could fit all of my wee babies into the cooler:

Still not past the point of peeking at them every day when I get home from work to see if they've spontaneously turned into bottles of tasty booze not made by a total idiot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a three gallon batch of dandelion mead in the primary right now.  I'll need to move it to the secondary this weekend.

I swore I'd never do all that work again picking flowers, but the first batch was so damn good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Earlier this week I bottled my Sofie clone, and made a kettle soured saison to toss onto the yeast cake. Both should be ready for the 4th
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Today brewed a clone of Bell's Two Hearted IPA. Gonna pitch yeast tomorrow or Friday, when it is cool enough.

On the 9th I did a strawberry/pear hard cider I got with my original kit, Christmas before last. Still bubbling.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone have a good fruit wheat brew they have done and would recommend?  I had a Blueberry wheat form a local brewery the other day and really like it and want to try something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good fruit wheat brew they have done and would recommend?  I had a Blueberry wheat form a local brewery the other day and really like it and want to try something.
View Quote
Brewer's Best has a blueberry honey ale, and several wheat beer kits. Go to their website and get recipe sheets they have available, mix/combine as needed.

I have had the blueberry honey ale made by a friend. Tasted great and smelled like a blueberry pancake.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Ended up brewing 10 gallons of Centennial Blonde that I found on homebrewtalk. Not bad for about $30.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Brewing today, the Two Hearted ale clone.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Brewed last weekend, hopefully a Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter clone.
I am using over 1.5 lbs of raw organic  and toasted coconut in a 5 gallon batch.  Should be a lot of "waste" between the hops, the trub, and the coconut. I hope to bottle 4.5 gallons... maybe?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Brewed last weekend, hopefully a Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter clone.
I am using over 1.5 lbs of raw organic  and toasted coconut in a 5 gallon batch.  Should be a lot of "waste" between the hops, the trub, and the coconut. I hope to bottle 4.5 gallons... maybe?
View Quote
I want to do one of those, I simply don't drink porters and stouts often enough. Maybe in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Started my first batch of beer yesterday, Midwest Supply's Beer. Simply beer pale ale. She's now bubbling away cheerfully. My next batch, I think will be trying a Blue Moon clone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Well done!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well done!
View Quote
Thanks! But like I said in the other thread, the Blue Moon clone is pricey. I’m doing a Budweiser clone after the Pale Ale finishes primary fermentation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks! But like I said in the other thread, the Blue Moon clone is pricey. I’m doing a Budweiser clone after the Pale Ale finishes primary fermentation.
View Quote
You can't really "clone" Budweiser. It's a lager that's aged on beechwood chips. That means it's probably fermented around 53 degrees. Unless you have a spare chest freezer, temperature controller, and a stir-plate/flask combo; you won't be able to come close.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You can't really "clone" Budweiser. It's a lager that's aged on beechwood chips. That means it's probably fermented around 53 degrees. Unless you have a spare chest freezer, temperature controller, and a stir-plate/flask combo; you won't be able to come close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Well with fall upon us here in Mn my mind goes to Stouts
So tomorrow I'll be brewing up my Coffee Stout "Mothers Little Helper"

If I think too I'll try to take pictures during the brew and post them up.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top