Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 12:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: unclez] [#1]
Didn't see BLISS on the list.
Term used when moving about within enemy field of view.

B - Blend in with the surroundings.
L - Low in silhouette.
I - Irregular in shape.
S - Small in size.
S - Secluded.

Link Posted: 6/10/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 6/11/2006 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What is a "COTS" 5.56 mm round? I have seen this used and tried to find out what this means without success.

What does COTS mean?
Link Posted: 6/11/2006 10:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#4]

Originally Posted By viator:
What is a "COTS" 5.56 mm round? I have seen this used and tried to find out what this means without success.

What does COTS mean?

Commercial Off-The-Shelf  (a ready-made commercial product rather than one specifically developed for the military)
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
How about DRT? I've seen that around and I can't seem to figure it out...
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
How about DRT? I've seen that around and I can't seem to figure it out...

Context?

One possibility is "Dead Right There".
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
That would make sense. Talking about (I work with LEOs but I'm not one myself) SWAT warrant entries and the department rangemaster mentioned one of the officers seeing a suspect raising a shotgun into firing position and blasting him with his M-4. "And that guy was DRT" was the line he used.
So I think "Dead right there" would be a pretty safe guess.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
That would make sense. Talking about (I work with LEOs but I'm not one myself) SWAT warrant entries and the department rangemaster mentioned one of the officers seeing a suspect raising a shotgun into firing position and blasting him with his M-4. "And that guy was DRT" was the line he used.
So I think "Dead right there" would be a pretty safe guess.
Thanks

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Why does the AR discussions page show this file/thread on fire?  It looks to still be active.
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 1:10:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By swebb:
Why does the AR discussions page show this file/thread on fire?  It looks to still be active.

The animated fire icon means that a thread has many posts.  You might say something is "hot" or "on fire" if it has a lot of activity associated with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By WEC:
I've been seeing this term used a lot on the EE and was racking my brain over it.  I think I may have found it, so you business types please correct me if I'm wrong:

MAP - Minimum Advertised Price

You are correct.  Thanks for the contribution.
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Great post, thank you.

What does:  56k friendly/Not 56k friendly mean???
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#13]
What does SNAP mean? I didn't see it listed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Been seeing IIRC alot, what does it mean
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 9:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#15]

Originally Posted By NineLivez:
Been seeing IIRC alot, what does it mean

"If I Recall Correctly"

(ETA: alternatively "If I Remember Correctly" - the meaning is the same)
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
DIL- Direct Impingement Luddite

LW used this term to describe DI supporters (Luddite means one who opposes technological progress: from Nedd Ludd the English laborer who destroyed weaving machinery around 1779 because he thought the machinery would cause unemployment).
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Anti-archive bump
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:00:28 AM EDT
[#18]
DN.......DEEZ NUTZ
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#19]
DCH - Detachable Carry Handle
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By zeekh:
What is MILF?

Nevermind I found it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2007 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]
What does FUDD mean?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By zrxc77:

Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
i may be way off but wouldnt Battle Sight Zero be BSZ?

BZO is correct, if somewhat odd.  As for BSZ, I just checked it and found that it is sometimes used as well.  It doesn't appear as often as BZO, but I'll still add it to the list.

Thanks.

Is BZO really BZ0?
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#23]
FTD = Fixin to die
BATS = Busted All To Sh*t
CTS = Crazier Than Sh*t
TOBAS = Take Out Back and Shoot
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I always thought 88 meant "idiot".
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By BLY:
I always thought 88 meant "idiot".

If by "idiot" you mean "subscribing to the Nazi ideals of the master Aryan race and genocide in support of those ideals", then you are correct.  In some ways, your definition gets the point across in a very succinct manner.
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
RUM - Remington Ultra Magnum
SAUM - Short Action Ultra Magnum (Remington) There are AR's available in these calibers
OTM - Open Tip Match, Hollowpoint Match Bullet (Remington)
SWAG - Scientific Wild Assed Guess
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#27]
What is MOBG??
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I know this probably one I should know, and I feel stupid for asking, but what does AO stand for?  I see it used a lot, but I don't see it listed here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By bicho:
Great post, thank you.

What does:  56k friendly/Not 56k friendly mean???

56K refers to 56K dial-up internet access.  If a thread has lots of pictures or some really large pictures, it will take quite a while to load for those still using dial-up internet.

So, 56K friendly/Not 56K friendly is just a heads-up for those using dial-up about whether or not that particular thread will take a long time to load.
Link Posted: 12/7/2006 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#30]
sweet breakdown,
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By vent:
What does FUDD mean?

A Fudd is a self-interested hunter who wrongly believes that the 2nd Amendment applies only to hunting firearms and who would gladly sacrifice all other firearms owners to the gun grabbers in an (ultimately vain) effort to protect his bolt-action deer rifle or double-barreled shotgun.  

"Fudd" is a term of derision and should not be recklessly applied to all hunters as a group.  While some hunters are Fudds and deserve our scorn if they cannot be educated to change their viewpoint, there are also many hunters who fully appreciate the true meaning of, and rights guaranteed by, the 2nd Amendment.  These hunters are not Fudds, but rather our compatriots in the fight to protect the 2nd.

"Fudd" is not an acronym.  It derives from the name of the clueless hunter character Elmer Fudd of Looney Tunes cartoon fame.
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#32]
This is probably dumb and I should probably know it but...what the F is "FTW"?
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#33]

This is probably dumb and I should probably know it but...what the F is "FTW"?

Can you supply context?
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 3:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thatguy96] [#34]
I'm betting its For the Win/For teh Win regardless of the context.  And it grew out of a combination of bad AOLer English in online gaming and Engrish in similar contexts where people would be screaming "I go shoot teh bad guys for teh win!"  It also has a legitimate sports connotation as well from a proper context in which people might say "And he shoots a 3 for the win" or something similar.  Truth of the matter of FTW is used to denote enthusiam for a suggested course of action most commonly, as in "Do x/buy x/say x FTW."
Link Posted: 3/25/2007 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#36]
You're welcome.  And thank you for your service to the nation.  Keep safe.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#37]
TDP - Technical Data Package (the collection of drawings, engineering notes, etc. that describe in detail the design and construction of an item)
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]
SOF - Special Operations Forces (in addition to its standard military usage, also a designation for a now discontinued mid-length AR-15 carbine made by ArmaLite)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#39]
wow this thread is excellent.  People are truly answering questions.  Ok I have to ask.  The whole Chuck Norris thing?  A lot of us missed out on this one.  Oh and "87"

If someone makes a new post wanting to know what Chuck and 87 have to do with anything, I say we still tease the heck out of them.  However, this thread seems like a good place to at least have the answer.  It's on THEM to discover this thread to find the answer.  Lazy arfcom n00bs need to do their homework, and study up on this thread.  :D

-Moco
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#40]
Thanks for the compliment MocoMan.  I'm glad you have found the list to be useful.

I am a bit torn regarding inclusion of acronyms, abbreviations and other "in the know" terms that are primarily found in the general discussion forum.  On the one hand, this is a technical forum and I would like to maintain that focus in the list.  On the other hand, sometimes general discussion terms do migrate to the technical forums and if their unexplained presence hinders understanding of the technical discussions then it might be valid to include those terms in the list.

If you look at the list you will see that I have included some "general discussion" terms, but on the whole I am trying to limit the list to primarily technical terms.  Maybe I will start another list of general discussion terminology someday if it seems warranted.

As to your specific questions, I believe that the Chuck Norris thing started when Snap posted a humorous thread that listed "Things you should know about Chuck Norris".  From there it just took off as these things sometimes do.  The next thing you knew, mods became unhappy with the proliferation of Chuck Norris threads and started locking them on sight.  Then members reacted to the locks by changing their avatars to Chuck Norris themed pictures.  And on it went.  It was no big deal really.

I don't know the explanation for "87".  However, I think markm originated it or at least popularized it.  He seems to use it as a nonsensical reply to questions he feels are stupid.  It is similar to his usage of "woot" and "both should be banned".  I would classify them as non sequiturs.

Both of these are examples of insider jokes.  They don't have any intrinsic meaning or worth.  Most of the fun associated with them is simply being in on the joke and knowing something that others don't.  It gives people a feeling of belonging to an exclusive club and, for some people, a resulting sense of superiority.  But the jokes themselves have no real significance, so I suggest just rolling with it and not worrying if you don't know the exact meanings.  In most cases, there are no real meanings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:24:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheMocoMan] [#41]
Nevermind.  tards.  I love that SNAFU made the list.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
Bushmaster likes to be cute with the senences they choose for S.P.O.R.T.S.

S.lap on the bottom of the magazine
P.ull the charging handle
O.bserve the chamber for ejection round
R.elease the charging handle
T.ap the forward assist
S.queeze the trigger again

It's a Bushmaster thing.  

I don't understand.  That is the standard defintion as far as I know, and matches what I already have listed.  Some minor variations in the phrasing is to be expected.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#43]
A couple of my favorites from my dad from WWII:
1. GANFU= General Army-Navy F**K Up
2. BFH= Big F**KING Hammer
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
Bushmaster likes to be cute with the senences they choose for S.P.O.R.T.S.

S.lap on the bottom of the magazine
P.ull the charging handle
O.bserve the chamber for ejection round
R.elease the charging handle
T.ap the forward assist
S.queeze the trigger again

It's a Bushmaster thing.  

I'm confused here, is this supposed to be immediate action?
How 'bout Tap, Rack, Bang.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 8:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: npd233] [#45]

Originally Posted By zrxc77:
Anti-archive bump

Yep... Somehow this thread keeps getting "un-tacked"

Cause nobody would actually need to know these.

Link Posted: 3/24/2007 8:30:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr-G] [#46]
I have been looking some of them up on the Urban Dictionary.
Damn - This just shows I'm old...

Link
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Held for space as needed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#49]

BZO is correct, if somewhat odd.  As for BSZ, I just checked it and found that it is sometimes used as well.  It doesn't appear as often as BZO, but I'll still add it to the list.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#50]
ETIC - Estimated Time in Commission

kinda like an ETA...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top