Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2017 9:59:52 AM EDT
So watching a show on black holes....talking about time dialation. So a person falling into a black hole will fall straight in without any perceived change in time. A person watching from outside will see the falling person slow down until suspended above the event horizon...

How do we reconcile the theory with the reality that we see the after effects of matter actually falling into a black hole? If the theory is true then it seems that, in our time, matter would never actually make it into the black hole but would stay suspended above it, never fall in and the black hole would never belch out cosmic rays or turn into a quiet black hole...
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Everything is relative.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Fascinating stuff, black holes. Destroyer of worlds. Vault of infinite time. I have nothing but speculation on what happens to matter when it's pulled into one. My theory is, like tossing a rock into a deep abyss, you'd observe the rock disappears but the ripples are evidence something went in. I think the event horizon probably keeps some type of visual record like ripples, however skewed or compressed the light from the object becomes. I think this visible light record is part of the halo of distortion around the event horizon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Since we have never directly observed or experimented with black holes, all is currently theory, and we have no way to test for what's reality.

We can only say what does or does not fit with physics and math as we know it, and speculate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So watching a show on black holes....talking about time dialation. So a person falling into a black hole will fall straight in without any perceived change in time. A person watching from outside will see the falling person slow down until suspended above the event horizon...

How do we reconcile the theory with the reality that we see the after effects of matter actually falling into a black hole? If the theory is true then it seems that, in our time, matter would never actually make it into the black hole but would stay suspended above it, never fall in and the black hole would never belch out cosmic rays or turn into a quiet black hole...
View Quote

The information in the first sentence is incorrect.  A person on the outside will see the object accelerate into the black hole, not slow down.  A person falling INTO the black hole will experience time dilation (presuming for a second that we ignore their being killed/pulled apart long before this becomes a factor), but this will not make them feel like they are falling slower, but will appear to approach faster because a second for them will take longer than for the outside observer.  They will not perceive exceeding the speed of light, however, because their perception of distance will be skewed (direction along their line of travel will contract, being perceived as shorter for them) as well.  This contraction is the same as the time dilation, so their perception of velocity will be the same, but everything will shrink along that axis, meaning they will take less time to travel along the shorter distance.

yeah, relativity and its various effects are very non-intuitive, not to mention weird.  This also means that simultaneity (two things happening at the same time) changes based on your frame of reference.  As I said, WEIRD.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
And the theory is based on what we KNOW is an incomplete understanding.

We have yet to formulate a 'unified theory' that includes gravity.

Even Einstein could not achieve it.

Singularities in models are often dangerous places.

The speed of light is a singularity in relativity.

A black hole is a singularity in our understanding of gravity.

Just as the speed of sound was a singularity in Bernoulli's model.

Mach figured out how to alter the model.  He allowed standing pressure waves.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since we have never directly observed or experimented with black holes, all is currently theory, and we have no way to test for what's reality.

We can only say what does or does not fit with physics and math as we know it, and speculate.
View Quote
Well, here ya go.  The accretion disk.  With gravitational lensing we have observed some really cool shit.  Not as clear as we would like but just wait on the James Webb in a few years.  

Hubble sees a black hole EH

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I just read yesterday that the new planet wide scope (series of telescopes), was just used to picture the event horizon of a black hole and it worked. Haven't seen the image yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just read yesterday that the new planet wide scope (series of telescopes), was just used to picture the event horizon of a black hole and it worked. Haven't seen the image yet.
View Quote
If you can determine the relative placement of the sensors to a fraction of the wavelength you are observing you can create a 'synthetic aperture' from multiple sensors.

The resolution will not be as a single aperture of the same dimensions but can be very adequate.

If you record signals while moving the aperture and know its path and movement in time to a fraction of a wavelength you can use a single moving sensor to 'synthesize' an equivalent large aperture for constant signals.

The signal can have variations but you will not be able to work with them well since they will have changed as the aperture moves.  This can be useful for certain types of measurement on a signal though.  Especially if the variation is slow compared to the movement of the sensor.

Keep in mind when we look out into space WE are not stationary.

We are hurtling around the sun.
And the sun is hurtling through space.

Measurements become relative to each other.
We see one object moving relative to another even as we are moving relative to each of them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything is still just a theory, but according to relativity, the outside observer will watch the "traveler" get spagettified as they approach the event horizon.  Sounds like a fun way to die, huh?  However; according to relativity and time dilation, the "traveler" will watch the lifecycle of the universe unfold in front of them as they cross the event horizon.  Time will all but stand still to them and they won't experience death.  Sounds contradicting, so that's why they call it a paradox.  According to Einstein, all information is kept when falling into a black hole.  I don't claim to understand the math, but have watched plenty of documentaries about this exact topic....and I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night.

More interesting is how they are discussing Black Holes and the Multi-Verse theories.  Now, since we can't test any of this, we won't know, but this is the most widely accepted explanation that I have heard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top