Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 7:55:10 PM EDT
I have a 18" weber grill(charcoal of course). I want to start making pizza in it. All these
14" pans has handles cast into. None of them say how long across the handles are. If you have
a 14" cast iron pizza pan please let me know your brand and the distance on the handles. I prefer
not to cut the handles. I can't find one local to look at so I have to order.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Lodge  18.5  with the handles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've looked at them at Sportsmans Warehouse the handles extend out at least two inches per handle.  Pretty sure you could call Sportsmans 1-800-286-3076
and get them to measure it or call Lodge (423) 837-7181 and ask them .
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Camp Chef make a 14 inch pizza skillet and the handles look smaller than the Lodge version.  Their website doesn't give the overall measurement like Lodge does.  You could call or email them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what I use, if you're looking for a dedicated pizza cooking surface this works well. 
It doesn't require any seasoning, is heavy 16# iirc, and is small enough to fit onto an 18" weber also.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Stone would be a better choice. You are already at a disadvantage having the heat source under the cooking surface. Stone won't transfer heat as fast as steel will to the bottom of a pizza.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what I use, if you're looking for a dedicated pizza cooking surface this works well. 
It doesn't require any seasoning, is heavy 16# iirc, and is small enough to fit onto an 18" weber also.
View Quote
It won't fit on a weber 18" grill. 16" by 14.25 rectangle will not fit on a 18" diameter. I may look for a shop close by that may be able to cut a 14" circle steel plate.
I could at least get a price.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stone would be a better choice. You are already at a disadvantage having the heat source under the cooking surface. Stone won't transfer heat as fast as steel will to the bottom of a pizza.
View Quote
At first I was looking at stone but to my understanding you want to cook the crust fast? The other problem with stone is I know
I will break it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It won't fit on a weber 18" grill. 16" by 14.25 rectangle will not fit on a 18" diameter. I may look for a shop close by that may be able to cut a 14" circle steel plate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any place that works with steel can whip you one out in about five minutes.  Get 1/4 or 1/2" plate cut and you'll really love it.  They key is it holds the heat better than other cooking methods, and gives you a really good bake on the crust.  The problem is you can't get a Weber hot enough to cook it properly (700 degrees or so) like you can with a kamado style grill.  It will still work fine though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I did find a 12" cast iron pan with handles. 14" will be a little more forgiving when making a 12 dia pizza.
I thought about cutting off the handles but prefer not having to modify it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

At first I was looking at stone but to my understanding you want to cook the crust fast? The other problem with stone is I know
I will break it.
View Quote
It all depends on your recipe, specifically the water content.  The slower the cook the more water you need because it takes longer to cook. Longer cooking time is more time for the crust to dry out.  The other part of doing a pizza on a grill is getting even cooking from the top and bottom. A lot of grilled pizza's come out burnt on the bottom with the top under done to done. If the bottom isn't burnt then the top usually isn't done.

You might look at getting a cordite kiln shelf if you want a durable stone. They are made to go in pottery kilns and wont crack under the heat. They also handle temperature shock a lot better than the typical cooking stones. I have a 18x18x1.5 thick kiln shelf that I cut down to a 18x16 so it would fit in my oven.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Camp Chef replied to my email. Said handle to handle 16.25". I ended up ordering it from Walmart. Should get it in about 3 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top