Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2017 4:24:02 PM EDT
I have been trying to develop a chili con carne recipe for about a year, and last night I finally did it. No pictures, because I forgot.

I kept the recipe simple. The ingredients were beef, dried chiles, and beer. I was going to add jalepenos and habaneros, but when I tasted it near the end of the simmering process, I found that the chili had plenty of flavor and heat, so I omitted them. I finally found a local grocery store which carries chili peppers, so I don't have to order them online. In my earliest version of this chili, nigh a year ago, I used Busch light as the beer. I was justifiably crucified for it. This time I used Modelo Negra beer.

The main things I would emphasize for people starting out on their chili adventure are to use a variety of chiles, don't go overboard on the ultra hot chilis, and closely monitor the heat on your stove.

Ingredients:
2 oz Guajilo, 2 oz New Mexico, and 3 oz Ancho chiles, as well as 4 Arbol peppers
2.5-3 pound beef chuck roast
2 Modelo Negra 12 oz beers

Open one beer, and begin consuming it.

Prepare your chiles. Rip off the stems, and remove as many seeds as possible.

Put all prepared peppers in a pot, cover with water, and boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let rest in the hot water for 30 minutes.

While you are doing this, cube your 2.5 to 3 pound beef chuck roast into bite sized chunks. Cut a little smaller than you think you will need.

Add a medium to large amount of salt to the meat, and let sit for 35-40 minutes (A trick from Alton Brown to pull proteins to the surface, and aid in the searing process).

Drain the water from your softened chiles, and put on your blender, along with a splash of beer to give enough liquid to puree into a smooth sauce.

Run your blender until the sauce is smooth. If you cannot get all of the bits of pepper pureed, then you must put it through a strainer.

Heat your cast iron dutch oven over blistering high heat, and when hot, drop a dollop of lard into it. When the lard has melted and spread around the bottom of the dutch oven, place your meat into it, and sear until DARK brown. Do not simply sear until gray.

When you are satisfied with the sear, lower the heat to medium low, and add the chile puree, along with the rest of the beer. Stir well.

This is where the magic happens. You must keep an extremely close watch on the temperature. Keep the heat to a low simmer. Check every 10 minutes or so and adjust as necessary. After an hour or so, taste every 20 minutes.

I simmered for about 2.5 hours, at which point I determined it was ready. I served in a shallow bowl, with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a side of cornbread. It was one of the most delicious meals I have ever had, and provided validation for the year I spent experimenting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds good!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You forgot the BEANS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sounds good!  
View Quote
Thanks! Those with a keen eye will notice that there is no tasteless protien filler beans, no ground beef, no tomato, no bottled chili powder, no chocolate, no spaghetti, no onions, and no effing crock pot. KISS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You forgot the BEANS.
View Quote
See above, you heathen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Needs BEANS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Needs BEANS.
View Quote
The chili you make probably does need beans to make it edible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds about how I've been thinking about doing it. Thanks for confirming I'm on the right path.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds about how I've been thinking about doing it. Thanks for confirming I'm on the right path.
View Quote
Keep it simple. Variety of chilies. Pay CLOSE attention to the temperature. Also fat content of the meat is critical. I paid 17 dollars for a good chuck roast.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Kinda lumpy for hot dogs isn't it? Considering it has no beans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kinda lumpy for hot dogs isn't it? Considering it has no beans.
View Quote
Oh sweetey. You don't know what you don't know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I bookmarked this to try it.  I am going to add garlic and onions.

Anyways how hot is this?  I have kids that won't eat if it's too spicy.  I was thinking about cutting the Arbol peppers to half just in case.

I like spicy but it's for more than just me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds excellent and much like my own recipe, but I do add some minced garlic and crushed tomatoes. All these ADD BEANS guys need to fuck right off with that ridiculous bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
In a Good Eats episode, Alton Brown creates a roux for his gumbo in his oven to ease the constant stirring and threat of cooking it at too high a temp. Using the oven might help cook your recipe low and slow without having to carefully watch it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You do know that Modelo is primarily owned by Anheuser Bush and Modelo lite cans look almost identical to Bud lite just with different print.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You do know that Modelo is primarily owned by Anheuser Bush and Modelo lite cans look almost identical to Bud lite just with different print.
View Quote
I'm sipping a Budweiser as we speak, so that doesn't really bother me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Rick Bayless has a killer Chili Colorado rcipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top