Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
The last time I tried it it tasted terrible. The meat was tough.

What kind of beef do you use?]
Cheese?
How do you cut the steak? How long to cook?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The best Philly cheese steak I've ever eaten was in Cambridge, MA, at Campus House of Pizza (IIRC) back in the mid-70's.

Well, OK, it wasn't exactly a Philly cheese steak - instead they called it a 'mushroom cheese steak'. It's exactly the same, even though it's entirely different.

(Yeah, I know that purists will laugh at me and call me names, but so what.)

You need to get really, really thin, shaved steak. You may have to go to a real butcher to get it, if the butcher in your local supermarket doesn't have it or make it.

Then you need to have a flat griddle like the ones that they make scrambled eggs on in a 40's era diner, and have it heated up super hot so that when you pour some oil onto it, it immediately sizzles. It helps if the griddle hasn't been thoroughly cleaned since the 1940's either. Then you have to dump a clump of the shaved steak onto the oil, and as it sizzles away, attack it with some kind of scary-looking metal cooking implement, preferably a meat cleaver that also does double duty making hash-browns in the off-season, and kinda cut up and fold over and smush around the steak, while adding a bunch of sliced mushrooms into the mix. Throw some salt on it while you're at it. And slice a long bun in half, and put the two halves sliced-side down onto the griddle nearby.

When it's done and almost ready to eat, you'll know it by the yummy smell. At the last possible moment, use the cleaver to gather the shredded steak-and-shroom combo into a pile and then put two slices of provolone cheese on top of it, then put the bun halves onto a paper plate, and use the cleaver to sweep up the hot melty goodness and dump it onto one half of the bun. Cover it with the other half, yell out the name of the customer and ask if they want a cold can of Coke with that (real Coke, not Diet Coke or Pepsi), and collect $1.90 as the delighted customer walks away with his prize.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It can be tough to really nail it at home, because of how thin the meat is cut.

This is pretty legit, about what I've done. But don't listen to her about putting the cheese on the bread. Fold it into the meat for even distribution.

http://bakerbettie.com/philly-cheesesteak-sandwich/

Provolone or American are the usual cheeses. And do use a little salt and pepper...it is amazing the number of bland cheesesteaks you can find
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
i stay out of the stupid beans no beans arguments, but there ain't no damn mushrooms on a cheese steak.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i stay out of the stupid beans no beans arguments, but there ain't no damn mushrooms on a cheese steak.
View Quote
I don't care for mushrooms, nor excessive onions and green peppers. I will omit those from any cheesesteak recipe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
OST. I love a good Philly cheesesteak. I will say they're probably made best on a flat top though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OST. I love a good Philly cheesesteak. I will say they're probably made best on a flat top though.
View Quote
Cast iron will have to suffice
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I am from the Philly area.

If you do not need fresh beef, get the frozen Steak-eze. It will get you the right consistency/taste. Or use sirloin if you have access to a slicer. Freeze the meat first to get those ultra thin slices.

Throw it on a flat griddle and chop up the steak as it cooks with a flat spatula. Do not defrost the meat.

Standard chesesteaks use American cheese or Cheez-whiz. Up to personal preference.

Fried/sauteed onions are optional as well.  Don't pay any mind to Geno's, Pat's, Jim's cheesesteaks as those are tourist cheesesteaks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
A guy in GD posted this recipe for which he was soundly ridiculed and maybe even banned.

Ribeye steak. Partially freeze it so you can slice thinly across the grain.
heat up your cast iron and sauté any veg you may add - or skip them I guess. I like onions and mushrooms so fuck the purists.

Toss on your shaved ribeye and brown the pieces. Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.

Chop the shit out of everything while cooking. You'll have about 3 minutes.

Lay enough Kraft singles on the meat pile to cover it and place a lid over the pan to melt the cheese. 

Serve on the best roll you can find or just use a hamburger bun if you live in a city that can't bake bread for shit like Toledo Ohio
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A guy in GD posted this recipe for which he was soundly ridiculed and maybe even banned.

Ribeye steak. Partially freeze it so you can slice thinly across the grain.
heat up your cast iron and sauté any veg you may add - or skip them I guess. I like onions and mushrooms so fuck the purists.

Toss on your shaved ribeye and brown the pieces. Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.

Chop the shit out of everything while cooking. You'll have about 3 minutes.

Lay enough Kraft singles on the meat pile to cover it and place a lid over the pan to melt the cheese. 

Serve on the best roll you can find or just use a hamburger bun if you live in a city that can't bake bread for shit like Toledo Ohio
View Quote
Kraft? Really?

Really?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kraft? Really?

Really?
View Quote
guess who makes cheez whiz
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Walmart Great Value brand philly cheese steak is what you want. They come 6 pucks per box, and youll need two boxes for a family of four.

I use whatever cheese sounds goid that day, including velveeta on occasion.

get some good quality dense hoagi rolls!

veggies of choice.

I season the meat as it cooks with salt pepper, garlic, a pinch or two of oregano.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I literally bought a meat slicer for this task alone. Ive learned that it helps enormously.  Also skip the rib-eye and get sirloin, slicing up rib-eye is like putting coke zero in some pappy van winkle.  Slice thin and cook on a flat top or cast iron and use sargentos non smoked provolone, the smoked one sucks ass bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy a prime tenderloin at Costco. It'll cost you $$$, but it makes some fabulous meals. Butcher it properly. The chain is what you want for philly cheesesteaks - clean it and chop it fine. I don't freeze it, just chop it while I'm cleaning it. Set aside. I'm entering the veggies debate - we love it with onions and mushrooms, sauteed until beautifully brown, seasoned with steak seasoning at the very end so it doesn't burn. Toast the bread, slather on a thin layer of mayo. Put the chopped chain on an electric griddle with some oil, salt, and pepper. Cook until barely done. Build sandwiches, top with fresh grated parmesan. YUM.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Kraft? Really?

Really?
View Quote
He's right, you need Cheese Wiz.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#15]
All stop if you don't have a proper torpedo roll.  

I go with wiz myself.  It has the right amount of orange dye number 3.  Carmelized onions and salt and pepper.    I skip peppers and mushrooms.  I hate it when some Place loads it down with all three (peppers, onions, and mushrooms) as It's a mess.  

I have purchased shaved "ribeye" but upon tasting it it sure as hell Wasn't ribeye.   It was some leaner and cheaper cut.    I don't mind cheaper but you don't go leaner on a PCS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#16]
You need a slightly crusty roll that is soft inside. Finely chopped meat (ribeye). American or provolone. Salt and pepper. The roll is the hard part. No one can touch the bread we have in the Philly area. Note: crusty does not mean stale, it means a crunch to it, purposely baked that way. Not that spongy shit most grocery stores carry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
One, wit, wiz.

That's all you need to know to get the best out there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
How I do it-

Slice meat thin, salt, let sit least half hour
Heat pan well, put in meat
use spatula to break meat apart further, make sure the meat is searing and taking a nice color
when done pull meat out and add vegs, add some (very little) water to make sure you get the fond from the meat
when thats done assemble, add cheese whiz
bakery sub rolls generally seem good, bread with a more open structure usually seems better for this than that which is more dense.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Pick up a ribeye at your local grocer, walk over to the butcher and ask him to shave it. Boom, done. Did this at my local Publix and they were the best Philly’s I have ever made.

Heat a pan, add a LITTLE Dales,Worcestershire and butter and  cook the beef. Add more butter to the pan and Cook thinly sliced onion, green pepper and shrooms. When those are done remove them from the pan then brown your bun in the pan on the remaining juice.

Put enough meat for 1 sub back in pan, top with onions, peppers and shrooms then provolone on top. Let the cheese melt a little then take your toasted bun and place it face down on the cheese. Take a spatula, run it under the meat, press down on the bun and flip it over.
The order from bottom up should be
Bun
Cheese
Veggies
Meat

The cheese lines the bun and enables it to stay together without getting soggy. Kind of like a bun liner

You and your guests will orgasm with your clothes on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The best Philly cheese steak I've ever eaten was in Cambridge, MA, at Campus House of Pizza (IIRC) back in the mid-70's.

Well, OK, it wasn't exactly a Philly cheese steak - instead they called it a 'mushroom cheese steak'. It's exactly the same, even though it's entirely different.

(Yeah, I know that purists will laugh at me and call me names, but so what.)

You need to get really, really thin, shaved steak. You may have to go to a real butcher to get it, if the butcher in your local supermarket doesn't have it or make it.

Then you need to have a flat griddle like the ones that they make scrambled eggs on in a 40's era diner, and have it heated up super hot so that when you pour some oil onto it, it immediately sizzles. It helps if the griddle hasn't been thoroughly cleaned since the 1940's either. Then you have to dump a clump of the shaved steak onto the oil, and as it sizzles away, attack it with some kind of scary-looking metal cooking implement, preferably a meat cleaver that also does double duty making hash-browns in the off-season, and kinda cut up and fold over and smush around the steak, while adding a bunch of sliced mushrooms into the mix. Throw some salt on it while you're at it. And slice a long bun in half, and put the two halves sliced-side down onto the griddle nearby.

When it's done and almost ready to eat, you'll know it by the yummy smell. At the last possible moment, use the cleaver to gather the shredded steak-and-shroom combo into a pile and then put two slices of provolone cheese on top of it, then put the bun halves onto a paper plate, and use the cleaver to sweep up the hot melty goodness and dump it onto one half of the bun. Cover it with the other half, yell out the name of the customer and ask if they want a cold can of Coke with that (real Coke, not Diet Coke or Pepsi), and collect $1.90 as the delighted customer walks away with his prize.
View Quote
Pats in philly is very good
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Back when I was living up in PA, I would take any does I shot to a local processor who would make me hotutalian sausages, ground meat and thin sliced cheesesteak meat. That's it...the entire deer. I'd cut bucks myself and wrap/freeze that at home, but always liked taking him a nice small doe.

One of the things I miss most about the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top