Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

what did you cook today? (Page 15 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ezekeial:

Do basically the same, but boil cauliflower with garlic, then blender it with milk/butter.  If ya like garlic, it goes good with cauliflower.
View Quote
Hm.

I get what you are saying, but I'd be more inclined to put the butter/milk over low heat, and add a few cloves of garlic to infuse there, before adding to the blender... No?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 4xDawn:

Hm.

I get what you are saying, but I'd be more inclined to put the butter/milk over low heat, and add a few cloves of garlic to infuse there, before adding to the blender... No?
View Quote
I was contemplating roasting the garlic... ?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By watercat:
View Quote
That would be amazing! I LOVE roasted garlic, and it's super easy to do.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Both those ways would likely taste better, but I would not have thought of em.  Now I just drain the cauliflower/garlic, dump in blender and add cold milk. Also like garlic in mashed taters.   Heated milk or roasted garlic sounds tastier.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By watercat:
I tried it tonight using the blender. Two entire heads of garlic, roasted, one head of cauliflower, steamed, half a stick of butter, salt and pepper. I didn't drain the cauliflower enough, because it came out thinner than I prefer without needing to add milk. It tasted good though, and the texture was right.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Cooked up some Cincinnati style chili served over thin spaghetti noodles with plenty of onion and cheddar cheese. I don't really consider it Chili, more of a meat sauce but it is tasty nonetheless, perfect for a cold day like today.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Beef noodles.

I took some leftover T-bone and smoked brisket, chopped it thin and put it in the Instant pot.  I added hot beef base, one onion, and browning.  I pressure cooked it on high for 70 minutes and then added a butter/flour roux.  Separately I boiled some egg noodles until tender, also in beef base.  I strained the noodles and stirred them into the beef mixture.

No additional seasoning was required.  The leftover smoked brisket was done over whisky barrel pellets and required no seasoning.  The leftover T-bone had a touch of Santa Maria seasoning.

I saved a bit of my noodle water to adjust consistency, but didn't need any.  I saved a quart of that to make some stock or use in a different dish.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Smoked pork chili verde, served over fried eggs
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Split pea soup and corn dodgers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Salt cured pork tenderloin; aka, "lonzo". Actually, it's been "cooking" for the past 4 weeks.

Came out delicious. The "crust" is made of dried basil and black pepper.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Tri-tip roast, roasted carrots, and baked potatoes. Prepped in 5 minutes, went to my kids game, came home to dinner ready.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess technically its not "cooking", but earlier I whipped up a batch of salsa using canned tomatoes, fresh jalapenoes, cilantro, and white onions.  Came out decent but it just doesn't have that certain something that the Mexican restaurants have.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
I guess technically its not "cooking", but earlier I whipped up a batch of salsa using canned tomatoes, fresh jalapenoes, cilantro, and white onions.  Came out decent but it just doesn't have that certain something that the Mexican restaurants have.
View Quote
What type of canned tomatoes did you use? Diced, sauce, roasted...? I'd advise adding some garlic, and lime juice. I usually add a pinch of sugar to any tomatoes from cans. Check salt and pepper too. Also, blend it a bit so it's not the consistency of pico de gallo.

Hope any of that helps.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Chicken tortilla soup and homemade guacamole
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Cut up ingredients for real mincemeat pie.  Apples, raisins, sirloin and spices.  Now marinating (for a week) in Dark rum and apple cider.  Last time was a little heavy on the rum, and  a full piece could make your tongue numb.

Then had another try at shoe-fly pie.  Am not destined to be a baker.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I did chikkenz Rice-a-Roni in the Instant pot.  Water is reduced from 2.5 cups per box to 1.5 cups per box.  That was a thing that none of the on line directions spelled out.

As far as browning the rice in the pot on saute, that is a fucking joke.  If you want it browned, you will need to do that on the stove in a skillet.

I had leftover smoked brisket with it.

Quick meal.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#17]

What type of canned tomatoes did you use? Diced, sauce, roasted...? I'd advise adding some garlic, and lime juice. I usually add a pinch of sugar to any tomatoes from cans. Check salt and pepper too. Also, blend it a bit so it's not the consistency of pico de gallo.

Hope any of that helps.
View Quote
I used Hunt's Fire Roasted tomatoes with garlic added.  We didn't have any lime juice but that's a good idea.  Added salt and pepper to taste.  And we blended it pretty well.  Next time I'll make sure to add some lime juice, and maybe another jalapeno.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#18]
Pork loin with potatoes and tomatoes. Came out pretty nice!

Attachment Attached File

And meatballs tonight!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a deal on some frozen turkeys the other day, 45 cents a pound, so I have a 14.25# turkey-bird in the oven. It'll be done at 7:15.

My diet won't allow me all the good sides like stuffing, sweet potato pie, gravy, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, etc...so it'll be turkey, avocado, and swiss cheese wraps in leaf lettuce.

It'll make a turd.tm

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Have a 1/2 (5 lb) pork loin percolating in the immersion cookery setup now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Roasted spaghetti squash with venison pepperoni tomato sauce

Also brining a skinless whole pheasant to stuffed with apples and onions tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NorWester:
View Quote
I brine the pork loin for 10 days in Prague Powder #1 and kosher salt for a week, then cook it in the immersion cooker.

It's the best "ham" you'll ever have...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Monday-pasta carbonara
Tuesday- porchetta
Wednesday- chicken curry
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Pumpkin pancakes and almond flour pancakes, with sausage and diced strawberries. I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty the almond ones were.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Grilled chicken sandwiches with pepper jack and Hamburgers with cheddar. Roasted potato wedges, and grilled corn.

Rare day when one of my kids made a request.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By squashpup:
I brine the pork loin for 10 days in Prague Powder #1 and kosher salt for a week, then cook it in the immersion cooker.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think I'll do this with the other 5 lbs. Disappointed with Costco pork if this was a good example, Winco's Hormel stuff is much better.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: squashpup] [#27]
I think I'll do this with the other 5 lbs. Disappointed with Costco pork if this was a good example, Winco's Hormel stuff is much better.
View Quote
Cheapest place I've found to order Prague #1 (without buying a giant amount):

Medley Hills Farm Prague Powder #1

Make sure you know what you're doing with the Prague powder, it can be dangerous if you use incorrect amounts.

I boil 5 cups of water, then add:

1/2 c kosher salt

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 tsp prague powder

5 more cups of cold water.

Mix while hot, add cold water, let it cool, put the loin in, leave it in the fridge for 10 days, then rinse well and bake or vac seal and Sous Vide as normal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:01:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorWester] [#28]

Cheapest place I've found to order Prague #1 (without buying a giant amount):

Medley Hills Farm Prague Powder #1

Make sure you know what you're doing with the Prague powder, it can be dangerous if you use incorrect amounts.

I boil 5 cups of water, then add:

1/2 c kosher salt

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 tsp prague powder

5 more cups of cold water.

Mix while hot, add cold water, let it cool, put the loin in, leave it in the fridge for 10 days, then rinse well and bake or vac seal and Sous Vide as normal.
View Quote
Thanks. I was gonna PM you for your recipe. I did find it a little cheaper but I'll probably need another lifetime to use it up. And its "gluten free" salt!

Amazon Product
  • Pink salt containing 6.25% Sodium Nitrite for curing meats
  • Goes by lots of different names such as "Pink Salt", "Quick Cure", "Curing Salt #1" or "Instacure #1"
  • Enough to cure hundreds of pounds of meat, Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
huli huli chicken
Hawaiian fried rice
appleton estate rum mixed with ice tea

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Thanks. I was gonna PM you for your recipe. I did find it a little cheaper but I'll probably need another lifetime to use it up. And its "gluten free" salt!

www.amazon.com/dp/B00XUXTOU6
View Quote
Just warnin' ya...buying my first bag of Prague Powder was the gateway for curing meats. Fortunately, most of the time, it is cheaper than BRD.

You can use that same recipe with a brisket (2-3lb), and add pickling spices during the cure, then sous vide (with more pickling spices)  to get a delicious corned beef.

Or, you can smoke it to get pastrami. Either or. Both are delicious.

Right now, I have two pork shoulders in the fridge trying to make Capocollo out of them. Hope they turn out...
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Sushi.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn’t want to waste the Halloween punkin so made a pie!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Made biscuits & gravy for the fam this morning

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: qbateaux] [#34]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#35]
We celebrated Thanksgiving today.

Salad
Turkey, dressing, and gravy
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Mac and cheese
Corn cake
Roasted butternut squash
Asparagus and mushroom saute
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Dutch apple pie, pumpkin pie,  pecan pie with ice cream and whipped cream.

I'm done cooking for the week!

Eta: forgot salad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: watercat] [#36]
Pumpkin and spinach alfredo, with roasted chicken

My toddler described the spinach in the alfredo as "bad pieces, need to take off".
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Brined and cured chops are in the smoker on whisky barrel pellets. Sweet taters are in the Instant Pot.  Going to cook al dente and then candy them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Made some toast.  Don't have a toaster.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Some sausage and mushroom sauce for tomorrow's lasagna.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
View Quote
fresh tomatoes
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clausewitz8] [#42]
Smoked turkey using my own rub.
Sweet potato casserole (grandmothers recipe)
Green bean casserole
Stuffing recipe I got from a friend on here (his grandmothers)
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Turkey stock
Used that to make gravy
Mashed potatoes
Cranberry jelly
Pumpkin cheesecake with cinnamon whipped cream
NY cheesecake with strawberry & blueberry/blackberry syrup

Assload of work to make everything from scratch but the results are worth it

ETA: Cheesecake recipes if anyone is curious they’re amazing

Pumpkin

NY style
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
We made a carmel pie. Put two cans of Eagle Brand sweetened, condensed milk in a crock pot for 5 hours on high. Don’t open the cans, just strip off the labels.

You’ll need to put a small hand towel in the bottom of the crockpot. Also, you’ll need to pour enough water in there to keep the cans covered. Check every half hour to an hour and pour some more hot water in it to keep the cans covered.

After 5 hours, remove the cans and let cool on a cooling rack for an hour and a half.

Open and pour contents into a graham cracker crust pie shell and put in the fridge to set.

You’ll need to serve it cold so it’ll stay set and not ooze when you cut the pieces.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#44]
A lonely piece of cod left in freezer.  Fresh fish is not easily found in my immediate area.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Last meal before back to work tonight.   Chicken and cheese sausage.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#46]
No pics...it's all gone.

Italian beef sandwiches...delish...
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Spam.

Not kidding.

I was making sushi, and one of my children asked for Spam masubi. Yes, I CAN make that... I never thought I would... but I did.

I never thought I'd feed my children spam.

Other then the batch of masubi, I made about 60 pieces of salmon sushi, a few Cal rolls, a few Philly rolls, and a few zombie rolls.

Sushi seemed to cut the turkey and stuffing coma we've been in for the past week. Then I added in Spam. [facepalm]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#48]
I made pickles, and tomato soup. Bought a few #'s of deli meats, cheeses, and bread etc. Meal prep Sunday, with 5 kids off to school again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I made jambalaya for lunch, but apparently I did it wrong according to GD.

However, it was a very tasty lunch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Some relatively cheap shoulder steak/faux flank.  I slightly overcooked it.

Fresh Asparagus is around $10 a lb here, so I make do with frozen most of the time.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 83
what did you cook today? (Page 15 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top