Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Originally Posted By Scott_In_OKC:

I made this today and it was REALLY good

Poor Man's Stew

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained

1.5 lbs potatoes, diced large

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

1 garlic clove, minced (I had this on hand already)

1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano
Add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.

http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Poor-Mans-Beef-stew-in-crock-800x1200.jpg
http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/2015/02/10/poor-mans-stew/

Mine turned out really bland  
I used more salt & pepper than the recipe called for, as well as a healthy pinch of red chili flakes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Ribs Marco Polo- I can't recall where the recipe came from, but here goes:

2 lbs country style pork ribs, boneless, and not too fatty, if possible. if I'm really feeling motivated, I'll brown the ribs over high heat just long enough to get some color on them, but it isn't really necessary.

1 20 oz jar of salsa, heat level of your choice (I have to use mild when cooking for my sweetheart)

2 cans of Dole Tropical Fruit (or equivalent pineapple/mango/papaya mixture). Drain one can, dump the juice of the other into a mixing bowl or a large ziplock bag

1/4 cup Heinz 57 sauce, add to the juice

1/8 cooking sherry or marsala wine, ditto

Mix the juice thoroughly, then add the ribs. Marinate at least an hour, or overnight. Put a layer of fruit on the bottom of the pot, and mix in some salsa. Keep layering ribs, fruit, and salsa. Use all the fruit from both cans, and as much salsa as you like (you most likely won't need the whole jar.)

Empty the juice from the bag over the ribs and cook low for 6 hours, or until the ribs get tender. If there's too much grease, extract it with a turkey baster. I generally serve this over rice. I added some Sweet Fire pickles to the mix once, and it awesome, but too hot for Amy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By midmo:

I have that problem a lot with beef stews.  If I were looking to bump up this recipe a bit, I would:

- make sure to use high-quality ground beef.  Goes contrary to the "Poor Man" theme, but run of the mill grocery store ground beef is pretty blah.  Ground sirloin would boost up the beef flavor a bit.

- replace at least half the water in the recipe with a good chicken stock (yes, chicken...)

- just personal taste, but I'd go way up on the black pepper... like to a full teaspoon or so.  I like pepper.

View Quote
The pot roast, chili and other stuff I make turned out a lot better so I think it would definitely benefit from more spices. The salt called for seemed WAY low too.

I think I'll use a little hot sauce to improve what I already have, if I make it again I might throw in some pepperocinis like I do sometimes with my pot roasts

But heck, this is another step because I have to brown the ground beef, most of the time I don't even brown my roasts. Might as well just cook those

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, now that I've made this twice, gonna post it. This is from the same girl that made the Poor Man's Stew.

Chicken, Salsa and Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole
Ingredients
View Quote

This gets cooked all day

• 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts

• 1 (24-oz.) jar mild pace picante salsa (this is the HUGE jar)

These things get added after 6-8 hours:

• 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese

(16-oz.) pkg. yellow corn tortillas (cut these into strips) it is 4
    cups total after cut if you can't find the one pound package.

• 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

• 1 (3.8-oz.) can black olives, drained and divided

• Slow Cooker Size: 6-quart oval

Instructions

1. Add the chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour over the salsa. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

2. Plop
    the cream cheese on top of the chicken. Cover for about 10 minutes to
    let it get soft. Meanwhile I take this time to shred the cheese and cut
    up the tortillas.

3. Shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Stir the chicken, salsa and cream cheese together.

4. Add
    the tortilla strips, 1 cup of cheese and ½ of the can of olives, stir.
    Flatten out this mixture. And wipe down the messy sides of the slow
    cooker with a paper towel. Top with remaining cheese and olives.

5. Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 more minutes or until the casserole is very hot in the center.

6. Serve and enjoy!

The first time I made it, it came out tasty but a little bland. This time I used Pace MEDIUM picante sauce instead of an off brand mild sauce and so far it tastes like it added a good bit of flavor. It could definitely do with some experimentation but it's a good starting point.

It also make a LOT. I ate this all week

I also use about 2lbs of chicken vs 1.5.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, now that I've made this twice, gonna post it. This is from the same girl that made the Poor Man's Stew.

This gets cooked all day
  • 1 (16-oz.) pkg. yellow corn tortillas (cut these into strips) it is 4 cups total after cut if you can't find the one pound package.

Instructions
  1. Add the chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour over the salsa. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
  2. Plop the cream cheese on top of the chicken. Cover for about 10 minutes to let it get soft. Meanwhile I take this time to shred the cheese and cut up the tortillas.
  3. Shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Stir the chicken, salsa and cream cheese together.
  4. Add the tortilla strips, 1 cup of cheese and ½ of the can of olives, stir. Flatten out this mixture. And wipe down the messy sides of the slow cooker with a paper towel. Top with remaining cheese and olives.
  5. Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 more minutes or until the casserole is very hot in the center.
  6. Serve and enjoy!

The first time I made it, it came out tasty but a little bland. This time I used Pace MEDIUM picante sauce instead of an off brand mild sauce and so far it tastes like it added a good bit of flavor. It could definitely do with some experimentation but it's a good starting point.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ingredients
This gets cooked all day
  • 1 (16-oz.) pkg. yellow corn tortillas (cut these into strips) it is 4 cups total after cut if you can't find the one pound package.

Instructions
  2. Plop the cream cheese on top of the chicken. Cover for about 10 minutes to let it get soft. Meanwhile I take this time to shred the cheese and cut up the tortillas.
  4. Add the tortilla strips, 1 cup of cheese and ½ of the can of olives, stir. Flatten out this mixture. And wipe down the messy sides of the slow cooker with a paper towel. Top with remaining cheese and olives.
  6. Serve and enjoy!

I made it with medium as well and holy shit that was awesome!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:05:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nturavrgcop] [#6]

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

Add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.

View Quote

http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Poor-Mans-Beef-stew-in-crock-800x1200.jpg

So I made this a second time.

Changes:

• Used low sodium chicken broth instead of water

• added frozen peas and fresh sliced mushrooms last hour

• threw in a pack of beef crockpot seasoning (any will do)

Results?  No leftovers!  My kids devoured it!  

Made a loaf of NYT no-knead bread, and they tore threw the meal like they hadn't been fed for days!

Now in my go to list for easy meals for kids.  Gets em to eat their veggies, and tastes great!

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oregano

Substituted tomato sauce for the paste and added two cubes of beef bullion to the water.  Might have cooked it a bit long ( my crock pot is almost too hot even on low) and was a bit dry.
This one is a keeper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:

View All Quotes

Ingredients
This gets cooked all day

Instructions
  6. Serve and enjoy!

Made it
I found out this makes an excellent enchilada stuffing leave out the tortilla strips of course

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
We have made this a few times. The venison gets incredibly rich tasting. We've tried it with very lean beef, and while it tastes good, it just doesn't have the deep taste of venison. Going to try it one of these next few weekends with buffalo meat that we can get locally.

Italian Venison Sandwiches

2 cups water
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 boneless venison roast (3-4 pounds), cut into 1" cubes

Add all ingredients to a crockpot, and stir to coat meat and combine all the ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours, serve on sandwich rolls or buns.

The juice in the crockpot makes an awesome dipping sauce for the sandwich.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I made a really tasty chicken and dumplings recipe with canned biscuits. It was STUPID simple to make but I lost the recipe.

Anyone have a recommendation? I've just been buying big bags of frozen chicken breasts and using those for my slow cooker stuff, much easier than having to shop every few days for a chuck roast or having to defrost ground beef.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By flash556:

Made it

I found out this makes an excellent enchilada stuffing leave out the tortilla strips of course

View All Quotes

Ingredients
This gets cooked all day

Instructions

6. Serve and enjoy!

Made it

I made this again today and just started eating it. This time I added a jalopeno...

It's now just about perfect. Tiny bit of heat (cooking all day mutes the spiciness) but a great flavor.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn this came out good
Slow Cooker Texas Smoked Beef Brisket
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/232137/slow-cooker-texas-smoked-beef-brisket/
Don't over cook!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn this came out good
Don't over cook!
View Quote

link failboat
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cleatus:

link failboat
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cleatus:
Damn this came out good
Don't over cook!

link failboat

link
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
It's about time to fire up the stairs ole crock pot again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny, I was looking at crock pot recipes while the thread got bumped
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Gopher:

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, diced

2 cups water

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried oregano

Substituted tomato sauce for the paste and added two cubes of beef bullion to the water.  Might have cooked it a bit long ( my crock pot is almost too hot even on low) and was a bit dry.

This one is a keeper.http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/e055.gif
View Quote

I'm about a clueless as it is possible to be when it comes to cooking but at one point I was making stew almost weekly.  Some fresh Thyme (six sprigs is what I used) and 3-5 bay leaves add a lot of flavor to a beef stew.

Also, buy some of the frozen, roasted hatch chilis and dump that in your stew.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:38:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
What kind of crock pot is everybody using? Ours is probably 10-15 years old and is way too hot even on the low setting. We always have to add more liquid to anything we cook in it if it goes more than 8 hours. Do the newer ones with the timer and variable setting cook better or are they just as hot but you can control the time better?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Several years back, the health authorities ruined crock pots, because although people had been slow cooking for decades, they decided that the bottom temperature was not hot enough to keep bacteria from forming.

I'm like,  It's freaking simmering in there.  It tenderizes beef.  It's PLENTY hot enough.

But they ruined it, and I had JUST GIVEN AWAY my old crock pot, which was amazing but did not have a lift-out crock for easy cleaning, to get a fancy new stainless model which I eventually tossed in the dumpster after I ruined one too many meals.

I think they're all too hot.  Even the warm setting on mine boils stuff.  More fine control of the time doesn't make any difference as far as I've seen.  

But maybe there is a good one out there and I have not found it.  

View All Quotes

What kind of crock pot is everybody using? Ours is probably 10-15 years old and is way too hot even on the low setting. We always have to add more liquid to anything we cook in it if it goes more than 8 hours. Do the newer ones with the timer and variable setting cook better or are they just as hot but you can control the time better?

Several years back, the health authorities ruined crock pots, because although people had been slow cooking for decades, they decided that the bottom temperature was not hot enough to keep bacteria from forming.

I'm like,  It's freaking simmering in there.  It tenderizes beef.  It's PLENTY hot enough.

But they ruined it, and I had JUST GIVEN AWAY my old crock pot, which was amazing but did not have a lift-out crock for easy cleaning, to get a fancy new stainless model which I eventually tossed in the dumpster after I ruined one too many meals.

I think they're all too hot.  Even the warm setting on mine boils stuff.  More fine control of the time doesn't make any difference as far as I've seen.  

Imagine that, .gov regulations ruining something...

This is the one I use, it's a 4 quart so it's perfect for the single guy.  For a family, I'd go larger.

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Another + for Zed's recipe, did it last night and the family absolutely loved it
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

My old crock pot works well, but I've been wanting one with a clamp down lid and gasket. That would sure make it easier to bring chili or a venison roast to a gathering. This explains all of the "cooks too hot, even on the low setting" reviews out there. If anyone has bought one that they're happy with, please post about it.

Maybe I could make a gasket for my old one and use bungee cords for travel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By eric496:

My old crock pot works well, but I've been wanting one with a clamp down lid and gasket. That would sure make it easier to bring chili or a venison roast to a gathering. This explains all of the "cooks too hot, even on the low setting" reviews out there. If anyone has bought one that they're happy with, please post about it.

Maybe I could make a gasket for my old one and use bungee cords for travel.
View Quote

The device you describe is called a pressure cooker.  I believe there's a separate thread on those.

But if you do decide to experiment with your crockpot with a gasket and clamps, please have video running.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

The device you describe is called a pressure cooker.  I believe there's a separate thread on those.

But if you do decide to experiment with your crockpot with a gasket and clamps, please have video running.
View Quote

Not a pressure cooker. They make crock pots set up that way so you can clamp the cover down AFTER shutting off the heat so you can transport them with the food inside without spilling any. Like this one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I can't remember the brand off hand, but the one I use has a thick ceramic pot. Never had any issues with it being too hot and it's only a few years old.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:19:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:31:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flash556] [#28]
Slow Cooker Spanish Beef Stew
Great recipe

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236483/slow-cooker-spanish-beef-stew/

I doubled it and added some carrots
and cooked it maybe 8 hrs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#29]

As an alternative way of "beefing up" this beef stew, I would agree 100 percent with the chicken stock and the good meat, though I would more likely cube some roast and try to get it tender.  I like chunks of beef in my "stew"  but ground beef would work.

Even if you use less expensive beef for sake of the budget (ground sirloin does not come cheap these days) I would try the following ideas. (Be sure you brown and drain that cheaper beef before you add it to the stew.)  You could do one or two, or ALL of these.   Experiment and find what you like.  The three with the asterisks are ones I would absolutely do, no matter what.

Also agree with more black pepper but maybe not that much because I'd like some complex layered flavors in there, and you can get that and still have the zing of the black pepper.

*Another way to add GREAT flavor to any soup base like this is to first saute the onion just a bit (or add an extra onion, chopped and sauteed--)  in butter (or olive oil if you're on a cardiac diet) and add that to the stock.

*You could add--1/2-1 tsp garlic powder OR saute a head of garlic until it's just past fragrant, and dump that in with the stock.  (Don't ever believe "1 clove garlic"  in a recipe. Just...don't.)

*I would THEN add--in the early part of the stock preparation- BEFORE YOU ADD THE TOMATO PASTE-1/4-1/2 cup of dry red wine. NOT cooking wine.  That shit should be illegal.  Let the alcohol cook out of the wine before you add the tomato paste or the cayenne I suggest below.

Then I'd likely add  1/8-1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper if you can take any spice at all.

I'd add a half to a full teaspoon of dried  thyme.

I'd dump in a handful of parsley near the end, or a tablespoon of dried parsley in the early part of the cooking.

On top of that I would likely try some more exotic spices.   I'd try a teaspoon of ground coriander seeds (these are the whole seeds of cilantro-- I pound the seeds using a mortar/pestle.  If you use the pre-ground, don't use as much.  Maybe half.)  This might or might not appeal to you.  I like what it does to most meat or chicken-based soups, if they're meant to be the main dish.

You could even try a quarter to a half teaspoon of curry powder.  That would not turn a beef stew too much toward "Indian tasting food" and it would add a bunch of layers.

I've probably messed up the "easy" part of the whole slow cooker thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midmo:

Poor Man's Stew

3 carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oreganoAdd the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

Mine turned out really bland  

I have that problem a lot with beef stews.  If I were looking to bump up this recipe a bit, I would:

- make sure to use high-quality ground beef.  Goes contrary to the "Poor Man" theme, but run of the mill grocery store ground beef is pretty blah.  Ground sirloin would boost up the beef flavor a bit.
- replace at least half the water in the recipe with a good chicken stock (yes, chicken...)
- just personal taste, but I'd go way up on the black pepper... like to a full teaspoon or so.  I like pepper.

As an alternative way of "beefing up" this beef stew, I would agree 100 percent with the chicken stock and the good meat, though I would more likely cube some roast and try to get it tender.  I like chunks of beef in my "stew"  but ground beef would work.

Even if you use less expensive beef for sake of the budget (ground sirloin does not come cheap these days) I would try the following ideas. (Be sure you brown and drain that cheaper beef before you add it to the stew.)  You could do one or two, or ALL of these.   Experiment and find what you like.  The three with the asterisks are ones I would absolutely do, no matter what.

Also agree with more black pepper but maybe not that much because I'd like some complex layered flavors in there, and you can get that and still have the zing of the black pepper.

*Another way to add GREAT flavor to any soup base like this is to first saute the onion just a bit (or add an extra onion, chopped and sauteed--)  in butter (or olive oil if you're on a cardiac diet) and add that to the stock.

*You could add--1/2-1 tsp garlic powder OR saute a head of garlic until it's just past fragrant, and dump that in with the stock.  (Don't ever believe "1 clove garlic"  in a recipe. Just...don't.)

*I would THEN add--in the early part of the stock preparation- BEFORE YOU ADD THE TOMATO PASTE-1/4-1/2 cup of dry red wine. NOT cooking wine.  That shit should be illegal.  Let the alcohol cook out of the wine before you add the tomato paste or the cayenne I suggest below.

Then I'd likely add  1/8-1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper if you can take any spice at all.

I'd add a half to a full teaspoon of dried  thyme.

I'd dump in a handful of parsley near the end, or a tablespoon of dried parsley in the early part of the cooking.

On top of that I would likely try some more exotic spices.   I'd try a teaspoon of ground coriander seeds (these are the whole seeds of cilantro-- I pound the seeds using a mortar/pestle.  If you use the pre-ground, don't use as much.  Maybe half.)  This might or might not appeal to you.  I like what it does to most meat or chicken-based soups, if they're meant to be the main dish.

You could even try a quarter to a half teaspoon of curry powder.  That would not turn a beef stew too much toward "Indian tasting food" and it would add a bunch of layers.

I've probably messed up the "easy" part of the whole slow cooker thing.

i guess i'm the latest to try this and just polished off a bowl for lunch. having read the responses here i made a few changes:
-i was afraid hamburger would be greasy, so i snagged a small package of eye of round on sale this weekend and cubed it for my stew meat
-added 2 bouillon cubes
-canned carrots because that's what i had on hand...worked very well
-used powder instead of an actual onion or garlic (i do this all the time, can't stand biting into pieces of onion )
-extra herbs...tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp paprika, tsp pepper, extra tsp salt
-added tbsp soy auce and tbsp worcestershire
-added another cup of water and 1/2 cup of pearled barley with roughly 3 hours left

all in all it was prety good. next time i think i'll use a little more beef or maybe add in some smoked sausage. i was expecting more beef flavor and less tomato. next time i'll cut down on the paste and add some canned beef broth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:14:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJumbo] [#30]
Lately I've been using a hand mixer to shred meat. Just run it low and well-cooked meat shreds in a big hurry.

I did the chicken enchilada casserole recipe last week. Even with cutting back on the sour cream, it was super. And today it was apple-cranberry pork ribs:

-3 lbs boneless county-style pork ribs, salted and peppered as you see fit

-I can whole berry cranberry sauce (I made my own)

-Two large apples, cored, peeled, and coarsely chopped

-1/4 cup maple syrup

- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine

-1/2 cup of apple cider (you may not need this, depending on how juicy the apples and pork are)

Lay the ribs in the pot, drizzled with syrup and sprinkled with garlic. Add the cranberry sauce and chopped apples and cook for 6-8 hours low. If you like, you can thicken the broth with some corn starch so it sticks to your baked potato better. Next time, I'll use agave nectar instead of maple syrup, or maybe discard the syrup idea altogether. The ribs came out pretty sweet.

I cut this recipe in half, and it worked fine. I've posted the full-volume version here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Chicken tacos

Three chicken breast
cover with a package of taco seasoning
a package of ranch dressing mix
add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
cook on low for six hours or so, shred the chicken and add to hard shells or tortillas
simple, easy, good
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Applesauce!

Core and peel 6 large apples. Use something with some flavor and tang to them like Braeburns, Galas, Pink Ladies, Macintosh..... dice them up for quicker cooking. Toss in a small handful of Red-Hots, those pea-sized cinnamon candies. Cook on low until the apples soften, maybe 2-4 hours. Makes the house smell awesome.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I know it has been posted by others, but I just made the Italian cream cheese chicken posted by Zed ....damn it is good! This will be added to the rotation this summer so we don't have to heat the kitchen using the oven.

One thing I will do next time is saute the onions first. My slow cooker is a 7qt one and they are a little less done than I prefer(because the cook time for the chicken is less than stated).....but still damn tasty!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
We have made this a few times. The venison gets incredibly rich tasting. We've tried it with very lean beef, and while it tastes good, it just doesn't have the deep taste of venison. Going to try it one of these next few weekends with buffalo meat that we can get locally.

Italian Venison Sandwiches

2 cups water
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 boneless venison roast (3-4 pounds), cut into 1" cubes

Add all ingredients to a crockpot, and stir to coat meat and combine all the ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours, serve on sandwich rolls or buns.

The juice in the crockpot makes an awesome dipping sauce for the sandwich.
View Quote
Will have to try this. We have a bunch of course ground venison to use up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's something that we eat often.

Crack Chicken

2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 packets ranch dressing powder
16oz cream cheese, cubed
Cheddar cheese
Bacon

1. Put chicken breasts in one layer at bottom of crock pot. Cover chicken with ranch dressing powder packets. Add cream cheese cubes on top of chicken and ranch.

2. Put crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.

3. Cook bacon and crumble it up. Use as much as you want, we usually use 4-6 pieces.

3. Shred chicken breasts and stir chicken, ranch, and cream cheese together. Top with crumbled bacon and cheddar (again, use as much or as little as you want, we use about half a cup) in the crock pot, continue to cook until cheese has melted.

4. Serve over mozzarella wrap, hamburger buns, tortilla, etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Loving all the slow cooker recipes. A tip is to use the slow cooker bags that eliminate cleaning of the slow cooker.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:55:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#37]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:

Crack Chicken

16oz cream cheese, cubed
Cheddar cheese
Bacon

1. Put chicken breasts in one layer at bottom of crock pot. Cover chicken with ranch dressing powder packets. Add cream cheese cubes on top of chicken and ranch.

3. Cook bacon and crumble it up. Use as much as you want, we usually use 4-6 pieces.

3. Shred chicken breasts and stir chicken, ranch, and cream cheese together. Top with crumbled bacon and cheddar (again, use as much or as little as you want, we use about half a cup) in the crock pot, continue to cook until cheese has melted.

View Quote

I am so trying this.  My local butcher had chicken breasts on special for $1.29 per pound - but you had to get a 40 pound case.  This may become a weekly summer staple.

ETA: Tried it but replaced bacon and ranch/spices with taco powder.  Since I had about 4# of chicken breasts I used 2 packages of cream cheese and a lot of taco powder.  It came out ok, next time I need to add hot pepper or sauce to give it a little kick.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Crack Chicken

16oz cream cheese, cubed
Cheddar cheese
Bacon

View Quote
I want to try this. I'm always looking for good chicken recipes, I haven't found any that I really want to make over and over. 

I just made some buttery garlic chicken and while good, I was tired of it after a single meal. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Since I have now taken from this thread I will give back.

Sweet and saucy pork ribs.

2 lbs pork baby back ribs
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (not mesquite flavored)
1 (8 ounce) jar cherry jam or 1 (8 ounce) jar preserves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
additional salt and black pepper

Did it tonight but doubled the recipe since 2lbs yields only one night of leftovers.

This is my go to pork ribs when I don't have the time to tend the smoker. Also this time instead of baby backs my grocer had St. Louis style and I am liking that more than baby backs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got one I think we've covered, but not sure.

Keto Steak Tips and 'Rice'

Steak tips - 2-3lbs
Campbell's Beef Broth 1 can
Campbell's Beefy Mushroom 1 can
Mushroom Gravy Powder 1 packet
Cauliflower rice - 1 bag

Put steak tips in a crock pot. Season with salt, pepper, and if you wish garlic and onion powder.

Mix beef broth, beefy mushroom, and gravy powder and cover the beef.

Let it roll until almost dinner time.

Microwave cauliflower rice and put into bowl.

Cover cauliflower rice with beef tips and gravy.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:54:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Laramie] [#43]
Has anybody done any temperature tests on their Crockpots?  The posts a few pages back about government regulation and "Low" still being too high got me thinking.  

Anybody have a thermometer and want to test was temp water is on "Low" after an hour or so in their cookers?

I bought this model from Amazon (LINK) two years ago and sadly it disappared in my most recent move.  But I can remember even when cooking pot roast on low the temp still seemed high and liquid was maintaining a steady boil.  

I want to get another Crockpot but I'm insure which one to get now.  Any recent experiences short of lucking out and finding an old one at a garage sale?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Laramie:
Has anybody done any temperature tests on their Crockpots?  The posts a few pages back about government regulation and "Low" still being too high got me thinking.  

Anybody have a thermometer and want to test was temp water is on "Low" after an hour or so in their cookers?

I bought this model from Amazon (LINK) two years ago and sadly it disappared in my most recent move.  But I can remember even when cooking pot roast on low the temp still seemed high and liquid was maintaining a steady boil.  

I want to get another Crockpot but I'm insure which one to get now.  Any recent experiences short of lucking out and finding an old one at a garage sale?
View Quote
Getting into slow cooker season.  Anybody have any thoughts on my post above?  In addition to a new slow cooker to replace the one I lost in a move, I've been also looking at the Ninja cookers and Instapots.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Bumpski
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
This one has turned out really good for me, and it freezes good for leftovers.

Pork Carnitas

Ingredients

5 lb / 2.5 kg pork shoulder (pork butt), skinless, bone-in (4lb/2kg without bone) (Note 3)
   1 onion, chopped
   1 jalapeno, deseeded, chopped
   2 1/2 tsp salt
   1 tsp black pepper
   4 cloves garlic, minced
   2 oranges, juice only (or sub with 3/4 cup fresh orange juice)

Rub

1 tbsp dried oregano
   2 tsp ground cumin
   1 tbsp olive oil
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Crack Chicken

16oz cream cheese, cubed
Cheddar cheese
Bacon

View Quote
We made this last night as a dip, and everyone loved it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Try this one.

Pinto beans in a crock pot

3 cups picked and washed pinto beans
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP dry minced onion
1/2 pound diced bacon or 3 TBSP bacon drippings  (you do still keep bacon drippings around to cook with, right?  )
Cover with about 1/2 inch or more of water depending on how much "soup" you want with the beans.

Cook on high for the first hour and then on low for at least 4 more hours.
View Quote
These beans are awesome. I added some Smoked sausage too. Highly recommended.
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 3:11:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACTF_ZETT] [#49]
Chicken tortilla soup:

2-4 chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can of black beans (rinsed)
1 soup can of water
1-2 cups of salsa

Cook 4-5 hours. Serve with cheese and tortilla strips, or just break up some chips.

Delicious.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Pants223:

I cooked these last weekend and thought they were great. We had some friends over and several people said they were the best wings they have ever had. Literally fell off the bone.
View Quote
Just printed off the recipe, I may try some this weekend.

looks great !
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top