Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 7/14/2011 8:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
So, anyone got good crock pot meals/recipes?

<This is now the official crock pot/slow cooker recipe thread - Z>

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I like this PP recipe from Sandra Lee (with or without the slaw)...

Ingredients

• 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced

• 3 pounds pork butt, rinsed and patted dry

• Salt and pepper

• 1 cup barbeque sauce

• 1/2 cup yellow mustard

• 3 tablespoons tomato paste

• 1 cup chicken broth

• 1 lime, juiced

• White hamburger buns, for serving

Spicy Coleslaw:

• 1/4 cup sour cream

• 1/4 cup mayonnaise

• 1 lime, juiced

• 1 tablespoon hot sauce

• 1 (16-ounce) package coleslaw mix (recommended: Dole)

• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place onions in the bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker. Season pork butt with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker on top of onions, fat side up.

In a medium bowl, stir together barbeque sauce, mustard, tomato paste, chicken broth and lime juice. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove pork and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

For the coleslaw:

In a large bowl whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and hot sauce. Add coleslaw blendand toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving. Serve on top of pork sandwich.

Slice pork and serve on buns with spicy coleslaw.

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, get the corned beef package with spices from the meat section.

Add chopped onions, carrots & cabbage to the cooker.

Add the beef & spice package.

Top off with a water/apple juice mixture.

Low for 6-8 hours.

Voila! - Corned beef & cabbage.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 4:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Soak pinto beans overnight in crock pot.  In the morning add a slab of ham cut into pieces.  Turn on low.  By dinner time you have perfect beans and ham.  Serve with corn bread, salt, and pepper.  I've known some people to chop up some onion and add it when serving, but I've never cared for it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Boston Butt roast (or something like that)
1 can beer
1 cup ketchup.

Cook all day. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

Remove pork and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

While the pork is resting, pour all of the liquid/fat out of the crock pot.  Then, after the pork has rested, pull/shred/chop it up, and put it back in the crock pot. Pour a cup or two of your favorite BBQ sauce all over the pork, in the crock pot.   Cook it on low for a while longer.  Then, all you have to do, is scoop the pork out the crock pot, and put it on a bun.  

Self serve pulled pork sandwiches.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2011 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Brown whatever cheap cut of beef steak you happen upon in a skillet,put in slow cooker with brown gravy mix and water cook all afternoon then serve with mashed taters and vegetable. My granddaughter calls it the best supper ever pop.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zedhead] [#7]
A cheap meal we make once every 2 weeks or so:

Italian Cream Cheese Chicken

Chicken breasts
Package of Italian Dressing
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup
Onion (if you have one, don't need it)

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Zedhead:

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mis up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.

Sounds good.  Wonder what that would taste like over buttered noodles?  

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:

Sounds good.  Wonder what that would taste like over buttered noodles?  

I bet that would be good.

Link Posted: 7/23/2011 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
1-London Broil (2lb)
1-Pkg Italian Dressing
1-Pkg Ranch Dressing
1-Pkg Brown Gravy
1 1/2 Cup of water (warm makes mixing the powdered dressings easier)

Add this all into your crock pot, set it to low heat, and let it go. 6 hours later and you have a delicious meal. My minor contribution to the cause.

Link Posted: 7/23/2011 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Put a brisket in the bottom of crockpot. Pour one bottle of chili sauce over it and cook on low all day.

Link Posted: 7/23/2011 10:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mis up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

I'm putting this on my "to do" list for next weekend.

Of course, I'll have to add my own embellishments.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Made this today, it was one of the best crock pot meal we had ever had, followed the directions.... but added a bay leaf at the end and used a chicken breast and thigh mix. At the end I removed the chicken after the hour of cooking with the sauce immulsified, and thickened the sauce on the stove with a little cornstarch/water mix. Thank you again Zedhead. this is on the rotation!

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By likebuddah:

Made this today, it was one of the best crock pot meal we had ever had, followed the directions.... but added a bay leaf at the end and used a chicken breast and thigh mix. At the end I removed the chicken after the hour of cooking with the sauce immulsified, and thickened the sauce on the stove with a little cornstarch/water mix. Thank you again Zedhead. this is on the rotation!

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

I am glad you enjoyed it. Bay leaf is  a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
When you say 'packet of italian dressing', would it change it up much to use the liquid salad dressing?
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoeRedman:
When you say 'packet of italian dressing', would it change it up much to use the liquid salad dressing?

It might make it more soupy. Never tried it though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't know what to call it, but it's a variation of Zed's recipe with the chicken. In the crockpot now

1 1/2-2 lb chicken breast
1 can cream of mushroom w/roasted garlic
1 can cream of chicken w/ mushrooms
1 pack of this italian dressing dressing stuff
1 pack cream cheese
2 7oz cans sliced mushrooms
1 onion
a little (well actually a lot) minced garlic

in the crockpot...gonna shoot for 4 hours or so on high and serve it with leftover spanish rice form yesterday and some good garlic bread. Pic to follow if I don't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
approx 8 cups cooked pinto beans with extra juicey leave in crockpot on high.

brown 1lb hamburger, drain, add 1 large diced onion and 2 cloves garlic till wilted.

mix one to one and half cups brown sugar with enough ketsup to make soupey, add lousianna hot sauce and a tablespoon of white vinager to taste, salt pepper to taste.

mix all together with beans, turn crockpot to low and let simmer to desided consistantcy; for me it's usually 1 to 2 hours.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Mexican Shredded Chicken

2lbs Chicken Breast (boneless)
16oz Can of Salsa
2 Serrano Peppers
6 Garlic Cloves
1 Packet of Taco Season
Cook till falls appart (about 6hours)

I did hot slasa, 3 serranos, and hot packet of taco seasoning... little more kick and was great

Use in tacos, nachos you name it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:23:57 AM EDT
[#22]
chicken soup stuff

3 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
can of corn
some water

season to liking with whatever
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#23]

I added sliced celery, carrots, crimini mushrooms (cheaper than white button at the local Safeway and better flavor), and an onion.  I also added a little water because I like things saucy.  Came out excellent!  

Zed, you deserve the credit because the basic flavor combo of chick soup, cream cheese and Italian dressing is what really makes this dish.  Mahalo!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]

I added sliced celery, carrots, crimini mushrooms (cheaper than white button at the local Safeway and better flavor), and an onion.  I also added a little water because I like things saucy.  Came out excellent!  

Zed, you deserve the credit because the basic flavor combo of chick soup, cream cheese and Italian dressing is what really makes this dish.  Mahalo!

QFT!  My wife loved this! I did make a few changes like a shitload of mushrooms and mushroom soup, but Zed-you came up with a winner!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you all enjoyed it. I think some of the best eats are family recipes that are used frequently, there is a reason they are in the rotation.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Made zedhead's chicken dish.
Used two kinds of home grown onions,shallots, and garlic also used zesty dry Italian dressing.
Could not have been easier or better. Definitely gonna make it again. I think I might try it over egg noodles or something next time to change it up a bit.
Thanks for the recipe.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Egg noodles was what I had in mind, also. I just spooned the 'gravy' part of this over some thick buttery garlic bread and ate it like that. +10 on the mushrooms with this...try it-it is some kinda good
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is a site with a ton of crockpot recipes that I've used in the past.  I've made a handful of them and they were pretty good.

http://nikibone.com/recipe/crockpot.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#30]

This is from the Pioneer Woman.  I modified the recipe to work in a slow cooker.  It's fantastic.

Ingredients

• 1 whole Large Onion

• 1 whole Pork Shoulder ("pork Butt") - 5 To 7 Pounds

• Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper

• 1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce

• 2 cans Dr. Pepper

• 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Preparation Instructions

Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of the slow cooker.

Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the cooker.  Set it fat side up.

Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.

Place lid tightly on cooker and cook on low.  We usually turn it on in the morning when we leave for work and it's ready when we get home. It will be falling apart.

Skim the fat from the meat first.  Then remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding any remaining pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooker, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it's cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.

Serve on warm flour tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, salsa, and whatever else you'd like.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Place one lemon, cut in half, in the cavity of a roasting chicken. Place chicken in crockpot. Salt and pepper the skin. Roast on low 6+ hours.

That's it. Depending on the water content of the bird you may wind up with soup, but it will be tasty and tender.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#32]
8 thumbs up for Zedhed's chicken - whole family loved it, and R3.0 specifically instructed me to post on here and tell him so.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#33]
What size slow cooker should I start out with?

I am only cooking for myself and pretty much a idiot when it comes to this stuff
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I am only cooking for myself and pretty much a idiot when it comes to this stuff

Get one bigger than you think you'll need.  You can always make small quantities in a large crockpot but you can't stuff a whole chicken or pork butt in one of the little ones.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Get one bigger than you think you'll need.  You can always make small quantities in a large crockpot but you can't stuff a whole chicken or pork butt in one of the little ones.

agreed.  Unless you plan on making dips which might lend itself to a smaller unit.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#36]

agreed.  Unless you plan on making dips which might lend itself to a smaller unit.

Dont see myself making many dips right now.

So what size we talking? I have no idea what I would need therefore getting something bigger than that is tough. Is there a all around good size?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#37]
How much cream of chicken soup? Are you talking can(s). How many breasts did you use?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 2:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ellaminnow] [#38]
So what size we talking? I have no idea what I would need therefore getting something bigger than that is tough. Is there a all around good size?

I've seen the following guidelines:
For a family of 2-3, buy a 2-4-quart
For a family of 3-5, a 5-6-quart
For a large family, or for entertaining groups of people, opt for a 7-8 quart slow cooker

I have a 4 quart now and it works well. (I cook for 3.)  Once I had to use my larger one when I bought a ham for Easter, but otherwise I just use the 4 quart. ALSO, my new one has a timer and that is it's best feature! A lot of the recipes I use only need to cook for 3-4 hours so I can use it while away at work and not have anything burn.  

What I've learned is that slow cookers work the best when they are 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full. When I first started using a slow cooker a lot I had a larger pot and my food cooked a lot faster (and sometimes burned) than what the recipe called for. If you discover you've gotten too large of a crockpot then there is a trick I read about where you can place aluminum foil over the food if it doesn't fill the slow cooker enough. It's not ideal but it works better than nothing.

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are my 3 favorite slow cooker recipes:

1.  Beef & Broccoli
Note: I never put the broccoli in the crockpot as the recipe states. I just cook it separately in the microwave and combine it all at the end. Also, mine cooks in about 4 hours on low. The one time I did as the recipe stated and cooked it for 6-8 hours it burned.

2.  Peperocini Beef Sandwiches
Easiest recipe ever!!! I make this every couple of weeks. I cook this for 5-6 hours, not 8.

3.  Tortilla Soup for the crock pot

1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4 tsp. chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. margarine
30 oz. chicken stock
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning
1 can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
2 handfuls tortilla chips

Place all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on LOW all day. Shred chicken before serving and garnish with additional tortilla chips and 1/2 c. shredded cheese if desired. Serves 6 to 8.

I also add some lime juice and a chopped green pepper to mine. I use my larger crockpot for this one. (I've never even tried to fit all of this in my 4 quart. It would probably overflow. I'm contradicting my earlier post where I said my 4 quart fit everything except the ham - sorry!)
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By a-of-1:

How much cream of chicken soup? Are you talking can(s). How many breasts did you use?

I tried this the other day and ended up using 2 of the small cans.  Probably 1 big can would work.  I used 8 boneless/unbreaded chicken strips in mine.  I also put in a small can of Chicken Broth.  

Turned out really good.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2011 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Go to a Goodwill or other thrift store - people are always getting rid of them so there will likely be a good selection.

Also, get one with a removable crock, especially if it is a larger one.  Makes cleanup about 1000x better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
Here is a site with a ton of crockpot recipes that I've used in the past.  I've made a handful of them and they were pretty good.

I've made a few recipes off of that site. I'm going to try the Cowloon Chicken recipe in a day or two.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the info and thanks to all for the recipes. The Chili looks killer good!
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#44]
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Hell I'm in on this one. As a single male that can't cook without the help of the chef, ChefBoyArdee, this thread is great. I haven't had a homemade meal in almost three years. Gonna try the beef one( thank you Zhukov ), and a couple of the chicken ones. If anyone has a good turkey one let me know. I bought my dad a really huge crockpot a few years back, and it'll hold dang near anything. Have to clear the whole counter off for it though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Attempting the Pepporocini Beef sandwiches tonight.  I did go with a 3lb English Roast instead of Chuck Roast.  Was the only thing my butcher had.  I added a can of beef broth to the mix since I'm using a bigger crock pot.  Didn't want it to get too dry.

Will report back after having them for supper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
A variation of something my mom used to make, she used a dutch oven, I converted it to crock pot.

She used to call it Swiss Steak, so that's what we've been calling it.

Swiss Steak

1 round steak, I cut it into fourths.

1 Large sweet onion, cut into 2-inch chunks

1 jar of the pennsylvania button mushrooms

1 large can of whole stewed tomatoes

A few potatoes cut into wedges

6-8 beef bouillon cubes

Brown the steak in a frying pan, both sides with a little oil

Put all ingredients into crock pot, don't drain anything, juice from mushroom jar and tomatoes.

Plus some salt and pepper.

If you like tomatoes or mushrooms you can double up on those.

You may or may not, depending on the size of your cooker, need another cup or two of water.  Enough to cover the potatoes.

I prepare it when I leave for work and leave it on low all day.

When I get home I spoon out some juice into a sauce pan, bring it to a boil, mix some corn starch and cold water in a glass, stir that into the boiling sauce to thicken it, boil it for a few minutes.

Spoon over plated ingredients.

You can also substitute mashed potatoes for the wedges.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MadnessReigns:
A variation of something my mom used to make, she used a dutch oven, I converted it to crock pot.
<snip>

I'm going to convert that back to a cast iron dutch oven recipe and make it real soon.  Sounds delicious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

Nice site......thanks alot

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top