BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
RECIPE: Cheap Meals (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/30/2011 6:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Buy a rotisserie chicken, a bag of fajita shells, a bulk container of taco seasoning, and some sriracha. Shred the chicken and put some on a fajita shell, top with shredded cheese, and nuke for a minute. take it out, toss some sour cream, taco seasoning and sriracha on it. You could easily get 5 meals out of it for $7 or $8.

<Changed title to make yours the official cheap meals recipe thread - Z>

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Add a splash of soy sauce and some pepper and sriracha, Costs about $6 and I can get 4 meals off it. Buy some diced chicken and some vegetables off the salad bar for a couple extra bucks, You'll give up ramen noodles!
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I love those rotisserie chickens - there's so much you can do with them.

For my family of three, we'll eat one for dinner - usually a breast for the wife, a breast for me and a leg for the kid.  That leaves a leg, two thighs and maybe the wings that I can use later.

Some ideas:

Chicken tacos/nachos/burritos - de-skin and shred meat, cook over medium heat with a little oil and some taco seasoning.

Chicken salad - de-skin, chop/shred, add mayo.

Making your own chicken stock from the carcass is easy too, and if you freeze it in an ice cube tray then bag the cubes you have small amounts of chicken stock for recipes down the road.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Kraft boxed mac & cheese (or generic, even cheaper), can of Rotel, sliced hot dogs or kielbasa/sausage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What's It's

brown ground beef and add a can of ranch style beans and heat

take a can of cheap biscuits and place in a muffin pan

make a depression in the biscuit and fill with beef and bean mixture and top with shredded cheese

bake according to can directions

serve and top with some Pace chunky.

Left over meat and bean mixture makes good burritos or add to a can of tomato soup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:
Kraft boxed mac & cheese (or generic, even cheaper), can of Rotel, sliced hot dogs or kielbasa/sausage.

Ive got about 12 cans of Rotel, I'll definitely try adding it to my kraft Mac n cheese.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MALT0SE:
Buy a rotisserie chicken, a bag of fajita shells, a bulk container of taco seasoning, and some sriracha. Shred the chicken and put some on a fajita shell, top with shredded cheese, and nuke for a minute. take it out, toss some sour cream, taco seasoning and sriracha on it. You could easily get 5 meals out of it for $7 or $8.

What the fuck is a fajita shell?
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By HKUSP45C:

It's gringo for flour tortilla.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 10:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKUSP45C] [#10]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I'm guessing it's a tostada.

Jesus, some people's kids.

Fajita shell ... what's next?

ETA: Hell, even Google told me to fuck myself when I searched for it. It was like "Did you mean fajita sauce?" Which is just as stupid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Ive got about 12 cans of Rotel, I'll definitely try adding it to my kraft Mac n cheese.

Dump a can of tuna and maybe a can of english peas in that mac and cheese. Gooood!

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quick and tasty one pot meal.  

Follow directions on rice
Add one can tuna (packed in water) undrained
Add drained mushrooms
Add 1/2 cup raw or frozen chopped onions (optional)
Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook uncovered until rice is tender

This will feed four people.  Total cost is less than $3

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
One package of Hillshire Farm sausage.  This picture was a convenient one to grab from the internet.  Any variety will do so use whichever ones you like, I usually go with the jalapeño cheddar.  This will run you just under $4, sometimes less.

One box of pasta.  I usually get whole wheat penne pasta for about $1.50.

One can of pasta sauce.  I know the stuff in a can isn't as good as the higher end brands in a jar, but this is a cheap meal thread.  I usually start simmering the sauce on a back burner before I start anything else and I usually throw in a few extra spices/herbs.  It changes depending on what I feel like that evening.  The simmering and added flavors makes it taste much closer to the more expensive brands.  These run about $1/can when not on sale.

Now, put the sauce on a back burner to simmer.  Begin boiling the water for the pasta.  The type of sausage I buy is precooked so I will either heat it up on the grill or "steam" them in a covered skillet with some water and grill seasoning.  Once the pasta is done, drain and then add the sauce.  Slice the sausage. I like to do it at an angle but this is purely aesthetic.
What you end up with is enough to make 3-4 of these, for the cost of about $7 once sales tax is included.  The 6 pack that the beer came from cost more than all of the above items.

For a little extra, or if you just happen to have them around which I usually do, you can slice and sautee some mushrooms and add them.  This is a filling meal that provides vegetables, whole grains, and some protein (ok, a little fat too ).

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Seansworth:
One package of Hillshire Farm sausage.  This picture was a convenient one to grab from the internet.  Any variety will do so use whichever ones you like, I usually go with the jalapeño cheddar.  This will run you just under $4, sometimes less.
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mU6EhkCdv_RJswJwdXTKoWw/140.jpg

One box of pasta.  I usually get whole wheat penne pasta for about $1.50.
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ronzoni+whole+wheat+penne.jpg

One can of pasta sauce.  I know the stuff in a can isn't as good as the higher end brands in a jar, but this is a cheap meal thread.  I usually start simmering the sauce on a back burner before I start anything else and I usually throw in a few extra spices/herbs.  It changes depending on what I feel like that evening.  The simmering and added flavors makes it taste much closer to the more expensive brands.  These run about $1/can when not on sale.
http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1001029_027000422380_A_400.jpg

Now, put the sauce on a back burner to simmer.  Begin boiling the water for the pasta.  The type of sausage I buy is precooked so I will either heat it up on the grill or "steam" them in a covered skillet with some water and grill seasoning.  Once the pasta is done, drain and then add the sauce.  Slice the sausage. I like to do it at an angle but this is purely aesthetic.

What you end up with is enough to make 3-4 of these, for the cost of about $7 once sales tax is included.  The 6 pack that the beer came from cost more than all of the above items.
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx22/bigsaxyone/100_1348.jpg

For a little extra, or if you just happen to have them around which I usually do, you can slice and sautee some mushrooms and add them.  This is a filling meal that provides vegetables, whole grains, and some protein (ok, a little fat too ).

Totally about to make this right now since I have all things on hand
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 5:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DanNH] [#15]
This is my favorite meal on the cheap:

Ingredients:

1 package uncle bens jambalaya mix.
1 package of raw hot sausage.
1 package of Jiffy Cornbread Mix

Do this:

Make the jambalaya according to the directions on the back of the box, but leave slightly under cooked..

Slice open the sausage casing & remove the casing.

Brown the sausage in a saute pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon while it cooks.

Once the sausage is almost cooked, add the slightly under cooked jambalaya to the saute pan.

Let everything finish cooking in that pan.

Now just make the cornbread according to the directions and slather with butter and serve alongside the sausage and rice dish.

simple, but one of my favorites. Mayy cost you 7 or 8 dollars, but worth it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#16]

I'm guessing it's a tostada.

Jesus, some people's kids.

Fajita shell ... what's next?

ETA: Hell, even Google told me to fuck myself when I searched for it. It was like "Did you mean fajita sauce?" Which is just as stupid.

Jesus you really can't figure out what I meant when I said fajita shell and you had to google it? I'm surprised you know how to turn a computer on

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in.  I like eating and I like keeping my money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]
hormel can ham

potato rolls

cheese

Mix cheese and can ham in bowl slice potato roll in half put mixture in put top back on roll put butter on top of roll put into oven at 350 for 15 mins. DONE
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Jesus you really can't figure out what I meant when I said fajita shell and you had to google it? I'm surprised you know how to turn a computer on

I live in central TX, and I have NEVER heard someone call a tortilla a "fajita shell".

No "fajita shells" over here in Arizona either.

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By southernrebel:
hormel can ham

potato rolls

cheese

Mix cheese and can ham in bowl slice potato roll in half put mixture in put top back on roll put butter on top of roll put into oven at 350 for 15 mins. DONE

One of my friend's wives makes something similar with croissants and a cream cheese/shredded cheese/soy sauce mixture inside.  They're relatively cheap snacks for get togethers (hor'dourves?).
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Beer can chicken. Shred said chicken. Add 2-3 hardboiled eggs (diced), handful of favorite pickles (diced), 1/2 onion (diced), and about 1/2 cup of baconnaise. Smear on some good toasted wheat bread. Add slice of tomato and some lettuce and you have some cheap, bad-ass chicken salad that will last quite a few sammiches.

Chicken is the most expensive part @~$3 for a small one that will fit on a beer can. SOmetime can find on sale 2 for that price. And we all have beer in the fridge, right?
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TerribleTom:
I love those rotisserie chickens - there's so much you can do with them.

Above
Chips
2 cans of cream of chicken mixed with 1 to 2 cans of tomatoes with green chiles
Cheese

- layer:
Chips
Cream of chicken mixture
Chicken
Cheese
Repeat...
Top with chips and put in oven
When just about done, top with more cheese.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Black bean tacos:

1medium yellow onion, coarsely diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large can blackbeans (or two normal-sized cans), drained
1 can corn
1 tbsp cumin
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
~1/4 cup vegetable oil

Flour tortillas
shredded cheese
sour cream

Heat oil in dutch oven, then saute onions and garlic over medium heat until garlic begins to turn translucent.  
Mix up the dry spices, and add half to the pot, stirring to coat the onions.  saute another 1-2 minutes.
Add drained black beans, and continue to cook over medium heat.  Stir frequently.  
When the black beans have broken open, add the corn and fluid in the can.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and stir occasionally
When the beans have cooked down and are nearly done, add the remaining spice mixture.

Serve on flour tortillas with whatever fixings you want.  Add some chicken that has been marinated in lime/fresh cilantro and grilled if you wish.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Any more of these for a college student about to get a kitchen?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Metal] [#26]
Depends on your tastes really, I cooked on the cheap in college
and still cook cheaply 8 months later. Lots you can do for low cost.

Page 2 for cheap-awsomeness
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 4:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TerribleTom] [#27]

Originally Posted By Jday:

Crispy fish

Skinless filets of fish, preferably not thicker than 1"

Oil (I prefer Extra Virgin Olive, but for those on a budget just use what you've got)

Salt & Pepper - again, try to use fresh ground black pepper - the difference is worth it, but use what you've got in any case.

Fresh lemon - no substitutes here, throw that plastic lemon away and spend $0.25 on a fresh lemon.

Cut the lemon in half lengthwise.

You do know how to identify the skin side of a skinless filet, don't you?

Coat the entire filet with a thin coat of oil.  Both sides.

Season the skin side with a generous amount of salt & black pepper

Place your skillet over medium-high heat, put a little more oil in the pan, wait for it to get hot.

Place the filet skin (seasoned) side down.  Season the top side while it's in the pan.

Reduce heat to medium.

DO NOT FLIP OVER UNLESS YOU SEE FLAMES

You will be able to watch the fish cook from the bottom up.  It will change color as it does so.  When it's 95% done, flip it over.

Immediately squeeze one half of the lemon over the fish.  Use a fork to get more lemon juice out of your lemon.

When the lemon juice stops steaming, remove the fish and plate - crispy side up.

Serve immediately, with a fresh lemon wedge.

Goes well with rice or fries but really shines with mac & cheese + red beets.

The type of fish is almost inconsequential.  Works equally well with salmon or tilapia.  Catch some catfish or bass?  This would work great with that too.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#28]

even better, one of my favorite college recopies:
generic mac and cheese, good smoke sausage (about a full link) and sour cream

start the water to cook the pasta, slice the sausage up and throw in water as it heats.  before water starts boiling, but after it's steaming remove sausage and hold for later.  cook and drain pasta as directed.  add the powder cheese mix but instead of using milk use sour cream.  add back sausage.  

Heating the sausage in the water gets some of the flavor in the water and helps flavor the pasta.  
Using sour cream has multiple benefits including making it more creamy and flavorful and sour cream lasts in the fridge of a college student MUCH longer than a 1/2 gallon of milk.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Buy a crock pot and learn how to use it. Do a search for tons of good stuff on this site for one.

Load it up in the morning and by the time you get home your meal is done.

Just for starters.

Pinto beans in a crock pot

3 cups picked and washed pinto beans

1 tsp salt

1 tsp fresh cracked pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

1 TBSP chili powder

2 TBSP dry minced onion

1/2 pound diced bacon or 3 TBSP bacon drippings  (you do still keep bacon
drippings around to cook with, right?

Cook on high for the first hour and then on low for at least 4 more hours.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]

I live in central TX, and I have NEVER heard someone call a tortilla a "fajita shell".

Hell, Bro....some people think chili has beans in it!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
1 box rice-a-roni,   1 smoked sasuage,   1/2 onion,   1/2 can chick peas..  4 meals.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Couple cans of Cream of Mushroom soup.
Cheap cut of meat (I usually use round steak)
Onion
Throw it all in a crockpot and cook on low for a few hours.  I usually turn mine on before I go to work or I have my wife turn it on a little before lunch.

Serve on toast or rice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I call this recipe "Aircraft Carrier baked fish"

Find the oldest frozen fish in your freezer.  Let it sit out in the blazing hot sun all day while you work so it thaws completely and has plenty of time to spoil.  
Put the fish in a baking pan and add a layer of crushed up dorito chips on top of the fish to mask the taste and smell.  Bake the fish @ 275 or so until you
have completely removed all moisture from the fish.  Remove from the oven and enjoy!    

Disclaimer... This post was made in jest and I would not actually recommend this recipe.  Although, the cooks on the USS Roosevelt used to think it was
perfectly OK to serve this.

Real recipe:

One can of Wolf brand chilli.  Couple of hotdog or hamburger buns that have been separated.  Graded cheese.  Chopped onions.  Nuke chilli and spread on buns.  Cover in cheese and onions.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#34]

Originally Posted By Pacodutaco:

Add drained mushrooms

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T7MEQKE2L.jpg

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1001029_080000006738_A_400.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoS7BMQ1O.0gAPLijzbkF/SIG=131hvfagg/EXP=1309516353/**http%3a//img2.timeinc.net/health/images/slides/green-giant-mushroom-400x400.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX8JNA1Of3kAb4OjzbkF/SIG=13bo8tmp8/EXP=1309516937/**http%3a//www.beautifulcanvas.org/wp-content/my_uploads/2010/03/20100316_Chopped_Onion.jpg
Hell, I usually just use the rice and tuna.  I call it gruel.

Originally Posted By wessono:

Jesus
you really can't figure out what I meant when I said fajita shell and
you had to google it? I'm surprised you know how to turn a computer on

No "fajita shells" over here in Arizona either.

OK is a fajita shell free area.

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Just thought I would give this a bump incase anyone has anything to add to the cheap meal index
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 11:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 52pickup] [#36]
Take the leftover rotisserie chicken from one of the earlier posts and add it, frozen or canned veggies of your choice, and about a cup of rice and ~2cups of water to a deep skillet with herbs/spices of your choice. Cover and simmer until the liquid is gone and rice is cooked through.

Not only cheep, but easy too, and the variations are endless by using different veggies, spices, or meats.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]
hard to beat smokin up a 10lb pork shoulder for .99-1.49/lb ... that will feed ya for 2-3 days for $10-15!
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Pacodutaco:

Add drained mushrooms

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T7MEQKE2L.jpg
http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1001029_080000006738_A_400.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoS7BMQ1O.0gAPLijzbkF/SIG=131hvfagg/EXP=1309516353/**http%3a//img2.timeinc.net/health/images/slides/green-giant-mushroom-400x400.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX8JNA1Of3kAb4OjzbkF/SIG=13bo8tmp8/EXP=1309516937/**http%3a//www.beautifulcanvas.org/wp-content/my_uploads/2010/03/20100316_Chopped_Onion.jpg

Did damn near the same thing tonight.
Chedder Broccoli version of the rice.
2 cans of tuna that were on sale.
Small can of mixed peas/carrots.
Total cost was less than $4 and I'm going to get 4 servings easily out of it.
Also, covered in "Slap Yo Momma", but don't consider that part of the recipe
Came out damn good and will be good eats for lunch the rest of the week
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Fried rice.

Day old, leftover rice
One egg
Bit of oil

Heat up oil in a skillet, scramble the egg in the hot oil, add rice until heated.  I like to add chopped green onion and sauteed mushrooms as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

Buy a crock pot and learn how to use it. Do a search for tons of good stuff on this site for one.

[/span]

for real... on the cheap you could make pulled pork to last you for 3-5 days
make a roast with onions potato and carrots. then cut it all up and make beef stew and freeze it or eat it.
cheap fish fillets blackened in a home made blackening recipe serve of some pasta or some sort of rice in a box

ultimate cheap? ramen noodle add egg and sirrachi (sp?) "cock sauce" some green onions as well maybe some soy if you want
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#41]
we used to make taco soup a lot, still do in the fall and winter.

2lbs of ground beef (I like 80/20) ground brown in a large pot with 1 large yellow onion.
add to it:
1 can yellow corn
1 can white corn
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can diced tomato's
1 can rotel with chilies
2 packs of chilies seasoning
1 pack of hidden valley ranch mix
1 pack of hidden valley ranch dip mix.

let simmer, stirring occasionally, for a few hours.

should run around $21 or so for everything and can feed 6-8 easily. add some shredded cheese, sour cream or crumbled tortilla chips
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Seansworth:
Fried rice.

Day old, leftover rice
One egg
Bit of oil

Heat up oil in a skillet, scramble the egg in the hot oil, add rice until heated.  I like to add chopped green onion and sauteed mushrooms as well.

This.  

Learn how to cook rice correctly.  Then, whenever you make it, make more than you'll need so you always have leftovers.  You can throw anything in there from zucchini to a fucking squirrel.  

Also, OR has no fajita shells.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
another +1 for Kraft Mac 'n Cheese.  I always put in more cheese, and onions.  Can slap in some cut up hotdogs or sausage, tuna, then I put a crapload parmesean cheese in it on top of everything else.

Split chicken breast is on sale almost every other week it seems for 99 cents/lb.  Great grilled.  I always remove the skin.

Great all by itself, with Texas Pete, cock sauce, or toss into a bowl of rice.  Toss in some cream of mushroom soup into the rice and chicken and it's even better.

Or rice, chicken, and peas.

Buying meat on the day it expires on the cheap at the supermarket is another way to save some $.

Then there's the coupon game, I go to three different stores and only buy stuff that's on sale.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Heres an old college favorite.

1 box kraft mac and cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup.

Cook mac and cheese like the box says
instead of milk add the can of soup.

I find it best to not drain the pasta all the way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#45]

CHILI TATERS

1 can of chili (your choice, I prefer Wolf brand chili, spicy, no beans.

1-2 potatoes, your choice

Cheese and/or other garnishes

Microwave potatoes until tender.

Put potatoes in soup plate, smash up with your fork.

Cover in chili that's been heated.

Garnish and enjoy.

Alternatively, I've used tater-tots instead of plain potatoes.  Much better with crispiness.

Back in college my favorite cheap meal (when I wasn't bumming for free on my wife's meal plan ) was a cooked packet of ramen noodles, drained, with Tony Chacherie's and butter.  I'll still eat that every now and then.

Red beans and rice is also a cheap dish for a large amount.  How we make it:

1 lb pack of Camelia red beans

1 lb pack of turkey sausage (we like the flavor better, but you can use any sausage; turkey's cheaper)

1 green bell pepper

1 large onion

3 cloves of garlic

Large jalepeno

onion powder

garlic powder

cayenne pepper

salt

pepper

Bay leaves

Bring 6 cups of water and the red beans to a boil in a large pot.  Once it comes to a boil, cover and turn off the heat.  Let it sit for an hour then drain.  Add back 6 cups of fresh water to the pot.

Mince all the vegetables and add to the pot.  Season to taste.

Stir everything, cover the pot, and put in the oven for about 3 hours at 325 to 350, or until you easily squish the beans.  Mash all the beans with a potato smasher.

Add the pack of sausage (my wife likes to be sure to add the sausage juice from the pack ), and put the pot back in the oven uncovered.  Leave it in for another 30 mins to 1 hour until everything is melded together and creamy.

Serve over rice with parsley, salt, hot sauce, or whatever else you like.

The spices are probably the most expensive part of the recipe, but feel free to add or remove whatever you have or don't have.  This will make at least 4 giant bowls of beans; dilute with rice and you could live for a week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Another favorite of mine:

Cook a box of stuffing mix (corn bread or regular bread is fine).  You can use chicken broth to make it more delicious, but the thrifty man will skip that and use water.  Spoon some into a sauce pan and cover completely with a chicken breast (preferably bought frozen in bulk ).  Cook in the oven, covered, until the chicken is cooked.  Serve with canned green beans and enjoy the poor man's Thanksgiving dinner any time of year.  Actually, one of my favorite meals.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Captain_Morgan:
Another favorite of mine:

Cook a box of stuffing mix (corn bread or regular bread is fine).  You can use chicken broth to make it more delicious, but the thrifty man will skip that and use water.  Spoon some into a sauce pan and cover completely with a chicken breast (preferably bought frozen in bulk ).  Cook in the oven, covered, until the chicken is cooked.  Serve with canned green beans and enjoy the poor man's Thanksgiving dinner any time of year.  Actually, one of my favorite meals.

Are you originally from the south or not?
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain_Morgan] [#48]
Born and raised on I-12.  Never left in my life.

That said, you never had stuffing with thanksgiving?  Boxed shit is cheap and still delicious.

ETA: I assume you mean because I didn't say dressing?

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Just made this tonight, everything was on sale and total cost was less than $10

Did 4 porkchops in the cast iron pan with garlic and some onions.
While they were cooking, pour 2 cans of condensed Cream of Mushroom soup into a large caserole dish and about a cup of wild/long grain rice. (The stuff I used came in small boxes, but
a cup or just under should work). Mix the soup and rice so they are evenly distributed.
Once your pork chops are done (I had 4 and seasoned with Greek seasoning, but ymmv) place them in the dish on top of the soup/rice mixture.

Throw into the oven at 350 for between 25 and 30 minutes.
Tastes awsome
Can make mixed veggies on the side or some garlic toast if you like.
Feeds 4, or you can throw the left overs into tupperware like me and have awsome lunch for part of the week
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Captain_Morgan:
Born and raised on I-12.  Never left in my life.
ETA: I assume you mean because I didn't say dressing?

Yep
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
RECIPE: Cheap Meals (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top