Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
RECIPE: BBQ Sauce(s) (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2011 1:51:53 PM EDT

I've had my Weber kettle running pretty consistently for the past few days.  Over the weekend I did a tri-tip. Then a day or two later I cooked a pork loin roast; and just last night I did some chicken quarters.  

So now that I've got some left-over chicken and pork, it occurred to me that I need to whip up a batch of ...

Alabama white sauce:

3/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons (or, to taste) cider vinegar

2 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon prepared horseradish

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Examples of other ingredients which can also be included are fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic powder, mustard powder, etc.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a big fan of sauce for grilled or smoked meats.  I prefer the inherent awesomeness of brisket or pork chops/loins, etc.  That said, I think chicken benefits from a little sauce, especially breasts or split breasts.  I use what is essentially the Neely's recipe except I add red pepper flakes and cayenne powder.

Ingredients
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
*cayenne
*red pepper flakes

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_116792_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I would love to have a copycat recipe for Rudy's BBQ sauce. It's my hands-down favorite...

I've never even been to a Rudys.  Eating BBQ at a restaurant is disappointing for me about 99% of the time.  I don't mind Salt Lick, Angelos in Ft Worth, or even Coopers.  A Rudy's is opening in Allen soon so I guess I'll give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
While not really a recipe, I've found that mixing two thirds picante sauce with one third store bought bbq sauce makes chicken taste mighty good when cooked on the grill.  You can use crushed red pepper to kick the heat up to what ever level you like.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Winn] [#5]

I would love to have a copycat recipe for Rudy's BBQ sauce. It's my hands-down favorite...

Here's something that I found online a while back:

Copycat Rudys BBQ sauce (original, before it changed)

makes about 2 cups

1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1/4 tsp comino (or cumin)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to a low simmer for a few minutes until slightly reduced.

Cool and serve.

Haven't actually tried it yet though.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Yep, Rudy's is good stuff. Saves me the trouble of brewing up my own batch.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are two of mine.  The first is my JD BBQ Sauce, which i've posted in another thread.  The second is a modification of it, for people who prefer hot BBQ sauces to sweet ones.

JD BBQ Sauce

1 Cup catsup
1 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 Cup Jack Daniel's
1 Tbl honey (You may also substitute 1/4 Cup JD TN Honey for the 1/4 cup of JD and Tbl honey.)
1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground mustard

Heat in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves, and then allow to simmer for a few minutes. Enjoy.

Louisiana Hot Sauce BBQ Sauce

Same as above, except eliminate the JD and Honey (or JD TN Honey).  Instead, season to taste with Louisiana Hot Sauce (or whichever hot sauce you prefer).
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I mixed up a batch of the Rudy's recipe for the fun of it today. I've never heard of them but it looked like a simple recipe. It wasn't bad, but IMO it had too much black pepper and Lea & Perrins in it.  You could definitely taste both of those Next time I try I will halve those ingredients and add a bit more brown sugar.

I do like a sweet but vinegary tomato based sauce.  If it's good enough, I'll sop it up with just some white bread and eat it.    

I am usually looking for an easy way out and typically just modify off the shelf sauces. Most are not a lot more expensive than buying ketchup. We then add brown sugar or honey, lemon juice and vinegar to taste.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
When I'm making pulled pork, ribs, or brisket, I use a rub.

I make twice more rub than I need. It's basically Chili powder, Slap ya Mama (hot) Cajun seasoning, sea salt, black pepper, and a pinch of garam masala.

After my protein is coated, I make 'Dip' out of the rest of the rub by adding cider vinegar, touch of Worcestershire sauce, a little catsup, and coarse grain mustard. I use this dip to baste the meat to keep it moist during the 'low & slow'.

When the proteins are close to being done, I take the remaining dip and add the sugars which will caramelize and glaze it. I add some dark brown sugar, and molasses. The dip is now glaze/bbq sauce...and you have to be careful that the heat doesn't scorch the sugars.

It's a 3 phase deal...and it works really well. Competition well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]

I love me some Rudy's BBQ sauce.  I miss the days of working in Albuquerque and eating Rudy's brisket and green chili stew...damn I'm hungry now!

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Winn] [#11]
Originally Posted By cfcw:

I mixed up a batch of the Rudy's recipe for the fun of it today. I've never heard of them but it looked like a simple recipe. It wasn't bad, but IMO it had too much black pepper and Lea & Perrins in it.  You could definitely taste both of those Next time I try I will halve those ingredients and add a bit more brown sugar.

I do like a sweet but vinegary tomato based sauce.  If it's good enough, I'll sop it up with just some white bread and eat it.    

I am usually looking for an easy way out and typically just modify off the shelf sauces. Most are not a lot more expensive than buying ketchup. We then add brown sugar or honey, lemon juice and vinegar to taste.

That's interesting.  I really need to try this recipe sometime soon.

I actually enjoy the peppery-ness of Rudy's, but it would be fairly difficult for me to judge how well this recipe compares to the original (just from memory) as I don't have any of the real stuff on hand.

Ideally, someone who actually has a bottle of Rudy's would whip up a batch of this copycat recipe and then do a side-by-side blind taste test, and compare the two.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Winn:

Originally Posted By cfcw:

That's interesting.  I really need to try this recipe sometime soon.

I actually enjoy the peppery-ness of Rudy's, but it would be fairly difficult for me to judge how well this recipe compares to the original (just from memory) as I don't have any of the real stuff on hand.

Ideally, someone who actually has a bottle of Rudy's would whip up a batch of this copycat recipe and then do a side-by-side blind taste test, and compare the two.

I''l grab another bottle Friday and do taste test.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 11:11:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Winn] [#13]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

I''l grab another bottle Friday and do taste test...

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]

makes about 2 cups

1 8 oz can tomato sauce - Hunts No Salt Added

1 cup ketchup - Hunts with no HFCS

1/2 cup brown sugar - Cane Light Brown Sugar

2 1/2 Tbs white vinegar - Distilled White Vinegar

2 Tbs Lea & Perrins Worcestershire - Kroger brand

1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons) - 2 Lg Lemons, didn't measure

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp coarse black pepper - probably a little more

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to a low simmer for a few minutes until slightly reduced.

Cool and serve.

Simmering now.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Recipe isn't tasting the same. There's a twangy "after taste" I can't put my finger on.

You can order Rudy's online, btw...

Off to get my some brisket sandwiches and sause.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 12:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#16]
OK, after simmering a while longer, the homemade sauce thickened up and lost that "after taste"; probably too much lemon juice.

I farked up at Rudy's and walked out with their sissy sauce. And I'm not running back through that cluster fuck of an intersection (DNT & SRT).

Both sauces have a similar taste but the homemade has a better bite to it.

So I'm gonna say, recipe is a good substitute.

After some more tasting, I'd change the recipe in the following ways...

Lemon - I put too much in, but since I didn't measure it .... I'd use just one lg lemon next time.

Sugar - It's not a sweet sauce, but that's why I like this; however, maybe a touch more sugar or a stronger sugar than the light brown I used.

Black Pepper - double the amount

Cayenne - double the amount.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#17]

OK, after simmering a while longer, the homemade sauce thickened up and lost that "after taste"; probably too much lemon juice.

I farked up at Rudy's and walked out with their sissy sauce. And I'm not running back through that cluster fuck of an intersection (DNT & SRT).

Both sauces have a similar taste but the homemade has a better bite to it.

So I'm gonna say, recipe is a good substitute.

After some more tasting, I'd change the recipe in the following ways...
Lemon - I put too much in, but since I didn't measure it .... I'd use just one lg lemon next time.
Sugar - It's not a sweet sauce, but that's why I like this; however, maybe a touch more sugar or a stronger sugar than the light brown I used.
Black Pepper - double the amount
Cayenne - double the amount.

Great report ... thanks for taking the time to do that.

Not sure how much of a difference this would make, but I went back and reviewed some the "notes" I made in the word doc that I saved, as I had found the recipe on a couple of different sites.

Anyway, one thing was an emphasis on using actual Lea & Perrins worcestershire ... another was the possibility of using tomato puree rather than tomato sauce (but not paste).

Adding some molasses is another option as well.

Thanks again !

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
L&P vs store brand - probably a good call to follow the recipe. Sauce vs puree to me would be just a matter of how thick/thin you want it. Letting it simmer for a good hour really thickened it up.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anybody made some sauce for water bath canning?

I love bbq and have been on a canning kick lately.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#20]
The batch I made yesterday went into a pint size Ball jar, but I stuck it in the fridge.

I'll probably make up a big batch of this in a month.

Shouldn't be any more difficult than canning tomatoes.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I will give it a try later this month as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bcw107:

I've never even been to a Rudys.  Eating BBQ at a restaurant is disappointing for me about 99% of the time.  I don't mind Salt Lick, Angelos in Ft Worth, or even Coopers.  A Rudy's is opening in Allen soon so I guess I'll give it a whirl.

their brisket IMO is decent to good...
but I cant get enough of their turkey....its really really good

as for the sauce my father in law makes a sauce almost identical to theirs but better and a bit sweeter
and thinks its funny to keep it a secret from me....
fwiw im almost positive its just a off the shelf brand and some additives simmered until reduced a bit
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Anyone have a link to (the sauce) thread that contains the recipe for "The Sauce" which has previously been posted elsewhere on the site?

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Pickled_Pig] [#25]

Anyone have a link to (the sauce) thread that contains the recipe for "The Sauce" which has previously been posted elsewhere on the site?

It's in the archives, I found it a few weeks ago. The author is the_camp_ninja.

ETA: Here it is.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 25Chuck:

Very nice ...

Thank you.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
Here are two of mine.  The first is my JD BBQ Sauce, which i've posted in another thread....

JD BBQ Sauce

1 Cup catsup
1 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 Cup Jack Daniel's
1 Tbl honey (You may also substitute 1/4 Cup JD TN Honey for the 1/4 cup of JD and Tbl honey.)
1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground mustard

Heat in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves, and then allow to simmer for a few minutes. Enjoy.

This sounded good, so my wife and I made some last week. She is never content to do a recipe as is, so she doctored it up a bit to our taste.

We added to the above:

1 or 2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper

I loved it. We made some baby back ribs for supper tonight as used it again. Fantastic.

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#28]

"The Sauce" is some really good stuff! When I get down to about a gallon of it I make another batch so it has time to age a while. It really does get better with age, I have a special gallon jug I put away last year to try in 2013.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Several times a year I'll take a ham and put it in the smoker with a shitload of rub.  These are honest to God pig legs, mind you, not the shitty store-bought pressed meat variety.  They've got fat all over and a big old hog femur in the middle.  Then I make a rasberry chipolte sauce for it.  I cook up about half an onion minced up to the point of it being translucent.  Then I add in some of my wife's homemade raspberry jam and one to three finely chopped chipolte peppers and some of the adobo sauce.  Then a little salt and pepper as well as a good dose of raspberry vinegar.  Then I make up some slaw using nappa cabbage and shredded carrots with lime juice and zest, sesame oil, salt and pepper, sweet chili sauce, cilantro, and the littlest bit of sugar.  That slaw, the sauce, and the ham pulled apart goes into some warm corn tortillas to make pulled ham tacos.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#30]

That all sounds very tasty ...

Got any pics

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bcw107:
I'm not a big fan of sauce for grilled or smoked meats.  I prefer the inherent awesomeness of brisket or pork chops/loins, etc.  That said, I think chicken benefits from a little sauce, especially breasts or split breasts.  I use what is essentially the Neely's recipe except I add red pepper flakes and cayenne powder.

Ingredients
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
*cayenne
*red pepper flakes

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_116792_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html

This is a lot like the sauce my Grandfather used on his famous BBQ chicken.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Tried something a little different the other day. Already had a batch of the home-made Rudy's sauce made up. I added some pure cane sugar cream soda to it. 2 parts sauce to 1 part soda. Simmered until it reduced.

3-2-1 ribs, with the sauce on for the last hour. Tasted pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#33]
My sauce is an evolution from rub, to mop, to sauce.

It starts out dry, then gets vinegar, beer, mustard, and other liquids to become mop, then gets the brown sugar, smoked peppers, and other stuff to become sauce.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Over 1k peeks. Hum...
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is a mustard based sauce I got from somewhere on the web a while back.  It starts smooth and then you get some heat from it.  I like to use it on pulled pork or add a little to canned baked beans for some spice.  Not bad for replacing the mustard on a burger either.....

1 cup of yellow mustard

1/2 cup Balsamic
Vinegar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon black pepper

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#36]

makes about 2 cups

1 8 oz can tomato sauce - Hunts No Salt Added
1 cup ketchup - Hunts with no HFCS
1/2 cup brown sugar - Cane Light Brown Sugar
2 1/2 Tbs white vinegar - Distilled White Vinegar
2 Tbs Lea & Perrins Worcestershire - Kroger brand
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons) - 2 Lg Lemons, didn't measure
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coarse black pepper - probably a little more
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Cool and serve.

Simmering now.

Possibilities now that Whataburger is selling its fancy (crack cocaine) ketchup at HEB.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#37]

1 cup of yellow mustard

1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 Tablespoon worst sauce

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon black pepper

Combine and simmer for a few minutes.  I use it on pulled pork sandwiches mostly.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Courtesy of Sylvan in this BGE thread ...

Traditional east carolina sauce:

1 C white vinegar

1 C cider vinegar

1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)

1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)

1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By my65pan:

"The Sauce" is some really good stuff! When I get down to about a gallon of it I make another batch so it has time to age a while. It really does get better with age, I have a special gallon jug I put away last year to try in 2013.

I'm a big fan.  I think I have about 1/2 gallon left.  Time to make more.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeffru] [#40]

I'll see if I can get one I think the girl at our office is dating the owner.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Originally Posted By my65pan:

I'm a big fan.  I think I have about 1/2 gallon left.  Time to make more.

Just started a batch in the turkey fryer. Just poured the first drink also.  It should be done about the same time I am......

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12a10] [#42]
I like ketchup based sauces that are also sweet, vinegary and have a bit of heat .... I seldom  measure

chop up some red onion ( a few slices) and a couple cloves of garlic, then put them in. pan with a it of oil over low heat

chop up about 8 slices of pickled jalapeños and throw them in

after the onion becomes translucent add about 4 tbs of brown sugar, let this cook for a while

glop in about 2 cups of ketchup

add about 3/4 cup cider viniger

add a chipolte and a tablespoon or two of adobo sauce

let simmer so the flavors grow together

this will make a thick sauce.  Add some fruit juice to thin.  I usually use orange .
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Winn] [#43]
Originally Posted By 12a10:

I like ketchup based sauces that are also sweet, vinegary and have a bit of heat .... I seldom  measure

chop up some red onion ( a few slices) and a couple cloves of garlic, then put them in. pan with a it of oil over low heat

chop up about 8 slices of pickled jalapeños and throw them in

after the onion becomes translucent add about 4 tbs of brown sugar, let this cook for a while

glop in about 2 cups of ketchup

add about 3/4 cup cider viniger

add a chipolte and a tablespoon or two of adobo sauce

let simmer so the flavors grow together

this will make a thick sauce.  Add some fruit juice to thin.  I usually use orange .

That sounds really good.

Almost like a KC style sauce, but different.  Actually sounds kinda like a "KC / southwestern" style of bbq sauce ...

I'd definitely like to try that on some different types of bbq.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 3:03:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iammrbill] [#44]
I grab a cheapo bottle of pre-made sauce(for the base) then doctor it up.
depending on the taste i'm going for, i'll add some combination of (mustard, soy, teriyaki, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, citrus juice(lemon or orange), cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper powder, honey, butter, crushed red pepper, hot sauce and garlic powder.
if I don't feel like hitting the store first, i'll use a bit of ketchup as the base then add more of the above ingredients to get the desired result.
whatever base i'm using, I put into a smaller sauce pan over low heat, then add the extras and stir(not constant, but frequent) while heating until the meat is done
for things like chicken pieces or tenderloins, i'll baste them with the sauce for the last 10-15min frequently over a higher heat to glaze. for things like brisket, ribs..etc, I coat after taking it off the heat and let it sit, then liberally add the sauce just before serving.
there is usually a lot of sauce left over that i'll keep in the fridge for later. I actually prefer the held sauce because it gives the flavors a longer time to meld and results in a more complex taste on the meat
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 10:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Halfwatt] [#45]
Here's my recipe for BB sauce that everyone keeps coming back for more. Of coarse always use a  good rub while smoking and finish with BB sauce.

14 ounce bottle of ketchup
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

bring to boil over med heat let simmer for about 30 mins
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#46]
1 Cup Strong Black Coffee
1 Cup worchestershire
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vineger
3-4 chopped jalapenos (Vary amount for the desired heat)
3tbsp chopped garlic ( I put more like 6)
3Tbsp chili powder
2cups chopped onion
1/2 can of beer
Coarse ground pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Put it in a pot bring to a boil then simmer 30 minutes. In goes the boat motor mulch it all up good. Continue to simmer for 20-30 minutes or longer for thick sauce

I also add some honey or brown sugar occasionally
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Love this thread.    I have made a bunch of sauces, but always fall back to the Sweet Baby Rays standard sauce.  The Alabama White Sauce is one on my list of things to try, so thanks for posting up on those. 

Jack Daniels sauce is excellent and I love all three flavors of Famous Daves sauce.  When you can catch a good sauce on sale, it is easier than making your own.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Love this thread.    I have made a bunch of sauces, but always fall back to the Sweet Baby Rays standard sauce.  The Alabama White Sauce is one on my list of things to try, so thanks for posting up on those. 

Jack Daniels sauce is excellent and I love all three flavors of Famous Daves sauce.  When you can catch a good sauce on sale, it is easier than making your own.
View Quote
The Alabama white sauce is usually put on poultry. That’s how some of the area restaurants do it. Also, the creator of the white sauce dunks split chickens in the stuff after they get off the smoker.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Gave up making red sauce after trying Famous Dave's Devil Spit sauce.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I haven't experimented much with bbq sauce, but I did make some of Aaron Franklin's sauce one time and really enjoyed it.  I liked that it wasn't too sweet or too tangy.

1 3/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 tablespoons plus 11/2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons plus 11/2 teaspoons
Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and warm gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally. There is no need to bring the mixture to a boil, as the idea is just to warm it enough to melt and integrate the ingredients. Once you have done that, remove from the heat and let cool. Transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
RECIPE: BBQ Sauce(s) (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top