Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2011 12:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray]
As a Scoutmaster and camper, I think there's nothing like cooking with heavy metal.  Toss your recipes in here!

Mountain Man Breakfast

12 Eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 medium bag of Tater Tots
2 onions
1 bunch green onions
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 package bacon
1 pound ground sausage
1 pound polska kielbasa
1 pound ham
1 pound grated cheese
Ketchup
Salsa
Salt
Pepper

Use a 12" standard dutch oven.

Cooking:  
Bottom: 12-15 coals
Top: 15-18 coals

Cut meat into small pieces and brown with chopped onions (green and yellow), mushrooms and garlic. Pull to one side of the dutch oven. Don't drain the grease. Fill the empty side with tater tots and pull the meat vegetable mixture on top. Fill the other side with tater tots and stir the mixture around. Beat eggs and milk. You can do this in a plastic bag to save dishes. Pour egg milk mixture on top of everything. Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese on top and cover. Let bake for 20-30 minutes and top with remaining cheese allowing it to melt. Serve with ketchup and salsa.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 12:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: echo_5] [#1]

<crickets>

Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, no kidding.

I'll give another one:

Lasagna

(12-inch Dutch oven)

1lb ground venison/beef
1-32oz jar of homemade spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup water
1-6oz can sliced mushrooms (drained, save water)
1-6oz can sliced olives (drained, save water)
1 box uncooked lasagna noodles
1-12oz container ricotta cheese
1-12oz container cottage cheese
1-12oz package grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Dried parsley

Brown meat.  Mix with spaghetti sauce, water, and the water drained from the olices and the water drained from the olives and mushrooms.  Layer ingredients in the following order:

- About 1 cup meat/spaghetti sauce mix
- uncooked lasagna
- Ricotta cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Mushrooms
- Olives (save a few for later
- Sprinkle lightly with parsley

Repeat layering.  Bake slowly for 1 hour with 9 briquettes on bottom and 12 briquettes on top.  Uncover and top with remaining Mozzeralla and Parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle top with parsley and a few sliced olives.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By limaxray:
As a Scoutmaster and camper, I think there's nothing like cooking with heavy metal.  Toss your recipes in here!

Mountain Man Breakfast

12 Eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 medium bag of Tater Tots
2 onions
1 bunch green onions
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 package bacon
1 pound ground sausage
1 pound polska kielbasa
1 pound ham
1 pound grated cheese
Ketchup
Salsa
Salt
Pepper

Use a 12" standard dutch oven.

Cooking:  
Bottom: 12-15 coals
Top: 15-18 coals

Cut meat into small pieces and brown with chopped onions (green and yellow), mushrooms and garlic. Pull to one side of the dutch oven. Don't drain the grease. Fill the empty side with tater tots and pull the meat vegetable mixture on top. Fill the other side with tater tots and stir the mixture around. Beat eggs and milk. You can do this in a plastic bag to save dishes. Pour egg milk mixture on top of everything. Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese on top and cover. Let bake for 20-30 minutes and top with remaining cheese allowing it to melt. Serve with ketchup and salsa.

That sounds awesome.

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By YellowLab:

Mountain Man Breakfast

That sounds awesome.

It was.  

I also did a version with Spam instead of ham and no kielbasa.  Gave a VERY good flavor to the dish.  First Spam experience for a couple of the campers (it wasn't scouts, it was a group of friends), and went over very well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
This should keep y'all busy until some new recipes are posted.  that breakfast things sounds really good, i need to try that on the old dutch oven i just came into.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]

That's a fantastic thread.  Glad to see it connected to this one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I like this thread

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 11:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#9]
Parmesan Chicken

(12-in Dutch Oven)

3 lbs broiler-fryer chicken, cut up (I just used three or four skinned boneless chicken breast)
1.25 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted (tastes better with REAL butter  )

Remove skin from chicken.  Mix cheese, salt and pepper.  Dip chicken into butter, then coat with cheese mixture.  Place chicken in 12-in Dutch oven. Cover with coals and cook 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.  4 servings.

Last time I did this the diners were picking the leftover carmelized cheese out of the dutch oven, it was so tasty.  All I had to do was wipe it down, it was picked CLEAN! Incredibly easy to do, very little setup and very little cleanup.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is one I have done that usually goes over well.

1 tube ground sausage
6 eggs
veggies of your choice and amount
1 tsp pepper (if sausage has none)
1/2 pound cheese grated
8 or so biscuits (the Pillsbury tubes work great)

Cook sausage over medium heat (6-8 coals). Leave greese, stir in your veggies until they are a lil browned, scramble your eggs and pepper a pinch of salt if you like. Dump that evenly over the sausage veggie mix. spread a layer of cheese. Place biscuits evenly on top of cheese. Let cook 15 mins with 8-10 coals on top and check. If biscuits are dark around the edges it done if not give it a bit more.

Let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tested:

1 tube ground sausage
6 eggs
1/2 pound cheese grated

Cook sausage over medium heat (6-8 coals). Leave greese, stir in your veggies until they are a lil browned, scramble your eggs and pepper a pinch of salt if you like. Dump that evenly over the sausage veggie mix. spread a layer of cheese. Place biscuits evenly on top of cheese. Let cook 15 mins with 8-10 coals on top and check. If biscuits are dark around the edges it done if not give it a bit more.

So...pardon the stupid newb question here..

Do you scramble your eggs over the coals as well?  Then dump them in?  Or do you cheat and use a gas fire or something?

I haven't done much of this....
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

1 tube ground sausage
6 eggs
1/2 pound cheese grated

So...pardon the stupid newb question here..

Do you scramble your eggs over the coals as well?  Then dump them in?  Or do you cheat and use a gas fire or something?

I haven't done much of this....

Great question. By scramble I just mean mix them up then pour them over, in a bowl or bag. I sometimes put a lil cream or milk in with them when I'm stirring them (mix eggs might have been a better description).
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]

1 tube ground sausage
6 eggs
1/2 pound cheese grated

I'll try that.
I put tube biscuits on top of my pot roast dinner when camping. They come out crisp and browned on top and soft on the bottom like a dumpling.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By YellowLab:

That sounds awesome.

Yes it does

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Beer Roasted Chicken

(12-in Dutch Oven)

1 roasting chicken (3-5 lbs)
1 medium onion, peeled
Fresh herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, etc)
2 cans of good beer

Place peeled onion inside the chicken's caity, put fresh herbs in and around the chicken.  Place chicken in dutch oven.  Pour 1 can of beer over the chicken, put the lid on, and place 8 briquettes underneath and 15 briquettes on top.  Cook for one hour.  Check at 30 minutes to make sure it's cooking.  You may need to put fresh charcaol on after you open.

(The second beer is for drinking while you're waiting for the chicken to be done.  )
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, am I the only one posting recipes here?
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Beer Roasted Chicken

(12-in Dutch Oven)

1 roasting chicken (3-5 lbs)
1 medium onion, peeled
Fresh herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, etc)
2 cans of good beer

Place peeled onion inside the chicken's caity, put fresh herbs in and around the chicken.  Place chicken in dutch oven.  Pour 1 can of beer over the chicken, put the lid on, and place 8 briquettes underneath and 15 briquettes on top.  Cook for one hour.  Check at 30 minutes to make sure it's cooking.  You may need to put fresh charcaol on after you open.

(The second beer is for drinking while you're waiting for the chicken to be done.  )

I like.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 12:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powderfinger] [#18]
Hey, am I the only one posting recipes here?

My mainstay is so basic a caveman could do it. I didn't consider it post worthy, but...

Pot roast and veggies.
Feeds a family of 4-6.
3-4 lb boneless chuck roast (weight is not as important as physical size, it needs to set flat in the bottom of my 12 qt. oven)
2-3 cloves garlic-sliced 1/8" thick
1 medium onion-sliced or quartered in 4 pieces
2-3 lb. spuds-peeled and halved
1lb. carrots-peeled and halved
salt and pepper
1/4 c. veg. oil
1/2 c. flour
tube of Pillsbury biscuits.

Poke slits around roast and stuff with garlic slices. Salt and pepper to taste. Dredge in flour. Brown both sides in medium-hot oven. I've found that not heating the oil prevents sticking. Just pour the oil in the heated oven and add meat right away to brown. Layer onion on top of roast. You can add a 1/4 c. water and a teaspoon of white vinegar, but it isn't necessary. This helps tenderize a tougher cut of beef. Cover and roast with oven setting in coals and 10-12 briquets worth of coals on lid. Sometimes I use commercial briquettes, sometimes wood coals.

After an hour or so, add spuds. Add carrots in another 1/2 hour- laying them on top/around roast. Keep a reasonable amount of coals/briquettes going on top and bottom. Might need another 10-12 added on top total.

After spuds have cooked an hour or so, layer biscuits on top of whole mess. Cook 12-15 more minutes, transfering a handful or so of hot coals from underneath the oven to the top to brown the biscuits. Use proper tools/gloves for this. Don't want to dump over dinner at this point and get cussed out.

This is a basic guideline. It's not carved in stone, so feel free to play around with the recipe. Don't care for garlic? Leave it out. Have a couple stalks of celery or a rutabaga? Toss 'em in. Have some thyme  or other seasonings for the meat? Give them a try. Please don't foul it with anything tomato though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#19]
This stuff is pretty amazing and I get rave reviews when I make it for events. I have even had a of my SO's friends call us over because they want it again lol. "So uh you guys should come over fore dinner, I will make anything you want. Um would you mind making Jordan river Mud for dessert?"

Jordan River Mud
(The Jordan River is a river in Utah, feel free to change the recipe name to match your own locale )

Ingredients

1 cake mix, mixed according to box directions

Mud:
1/2 cup dry baking cocoa
2 cups brown sugar
4 cups hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Topping:
1 package chocolate chips
Nuts (chopped, I like walnuts or almonds)
Whipped topping

Directions

Line Dutch oven with foil if desired and preheat. Pour the prepared batter into preheated oven. Mix "Mud" ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over the cake batter. Cover the oven (8-10 coals on the lid, 8 coals on the bottom) and bake about 40 minutes. Remove lid about 5 minutes before baking time is up and sprinkle on the chocolate chips to melt for a few minutes. Serve with a scoop of whipped topping.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Camp-Cook.com
Dutch Oven Cooking
http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=9e159771188a3e06e247f882a5d320ea

FREEE DUTCH OVEN COOKBOOK
The 2nd edition of the T&TTT Cookbook is ready for downloading. It contains 159 all-new recipes for camp cooking in 93 pages of a 1.3MB PDF file
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44133

PAPI
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay..one of my " Dessert Favorites "

FLAN
¾ cups sugar
3 eggs w/yolks
2 tsp Vanilla
One 14 ounce can of Sweetened condense milk
1 ¾ cups milk
2 ounces cream cheese

Start by Preheating Oven to 350 degrees.

Place sugar in a small Skillet @ medium-high and stir until it liquifies. Then swirl around evenly on pan , until it hardens & cools off !

Place eggs, vanilla , milks, Sweeten condense, cream cheese, in a blender , for at least 5 min.

I wanted to try out my new ( recondtioned & reseasoned ) #6 Griswold , alongside a , 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 square baking dish, to see how well it would turnout ??
You could use a " Round 9 inch Souffle Dish " ( Broke mine ..ooops ).

Pour mixture into into pan you plan to use , and then place inside larger Baking pan .

Pour hot water halfway up sides of pan ( Water Bath ) and bake for approx 1 ½ hour.

Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.

I personally like to let it set in the fridge overnight & serve it cold !!

My #6 Griswold,  reconditioned & reseasoned " Flea Market Find !! "

Flip bottom side up, onto a larger platter, before serving.

PAPI
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Any idea of the cooking temp when using coals?  I only use my dutch oven in my gas oven.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#23]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Any idea of the cooking temp when using coals?  I only use my dutch oven in my gas oven.

From one of my cookbooks....

A general rule for charcoal is to take the number of inches in diameter of the Dutch oven and place two more coals than that number on top and two fewer coals on the bottom.  For example, for the 12-inch ovens that the troop uses, place 14 briquettes on top and 10 on the bottom for a typical meal.  That puts the temperature close to a moderate level of 350.  

Don’t automatically fill the entire chimney with charcoal when lighting the coals.  If you need 24 coals for your fire and the recipe will cook in less than an hour, you only need about 24 coals.  If your recipe will take a long time to cook, you might need to add coals after 45 to 60 minutes.  In that case you might want to light more coals at the beginning and leave them in the chimney as replacements to be added later.  If you add coals, add them in the same proportion top and bottom.  If you know that you will need to start a second chimney of briquettes, a good trick is to leave some hot coals in the chimney to start the next batch.

Charcoal placement:

ROASTING - The heat should come from the top and bottom equally.  Use a 1-to-1 ratio of coals above and below the oven.  

BAKING - Done with more heat from the top than the bottom.  Use a 2-to-1 or 3-to-1 ratio with more on the lid.  

FRYING, BOILING, ETC.  - All heat should come from the bottom.  Use coals on the bottom only.  

STEWING, SIMMERING - Almost all heat should be on the bottom.  Use a 1-to-4 ratio with more underneath.

Arrange the bottom briquettes in a circular pattern so that they are at least ½ inch inside the oven’s edge.  Arrange the briquettes on the lid in a checkerboard pattern, or around the edge of the lid and several across the top.  

Top or bottom, do not bunch the briquettes; that can cause “hot spots” that can burn the food.  To prevent small hot-spot problems, rotate the oven ¼ turn every 10 to 15 minutes.  If there are coals on the lid, also rotate the lid in the opposite direction.

Baking requires more precise temperature control than most other types of cooking.  The chart below tells you how many coals to use for a 12-inch oven and where to place them in order to obtain certain temperatures.  Note that this is only for baking; other types of cooking may require different ratios of top to bottom coals.

Temperature (F): 325 / 350 / 375 / 400 / 425 / 450
Top coals: 16/ 17 / 18 / 19 / 21 / 22
Bottom coals: 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 10 / 1

Baking recipes in regular cookbooks sometimes refer to Slow, Moderate, Hot, or Very Hot ovens.  That usually means:

Slow: 250 to 350
Moderate: 350 to 400
Hot: 400 to 450
Very Hot: 450 to 500

Simmering.  Simmering is cooking a dish with a liquid that is kept just below the boiling point.  A few bubbles will slowly form and burst before reaching the surface.  Simmering takes place between 185 and 210.  Bubbles breaking on the surface indicate the ingredients are being boiled, not simmered; the fire is too hot.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:29:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#24]
I made this tonight for about the 5th time, weird recipe but it works and it's good:

Hungarian Beef Stew

From Season 10: Classic Beef Braises

Why this recipe works:
The Americanized versions of Hungarian goulash served in the United  
States bear little resemblance to the authentic dish. Sour cream has no
place in the pot, nor do mushrooms, green peppers, or most herbs. We  
wanted the real deal—a simple dish of tender braised beef packed with  
paprika flavor.
To achieve the desired level of spicy intensity,
 some recipes call for as much as half a cup of paprika per three
pounds  of meat, but with that much fine spice, the dish took on a
gritty,  dusty texture. After consulting chefs at a few Hungarian
restaurants, we  were introduced to paprika cream, a condiment that’s as
common in  Hungarian cooking as the dried spice—but hard to find in the
U.S.  Instead, we created our own quick version by pureeing dried
paprika with  roasted red peppers and a little tomato paste and vinegar.
This mixture  imparted vibrant paprika flavor without any offensive
grittiness.
As  for the meat, after settling on chuck-eye roast,
we bought a whole  roast and cut it ourselves into uniform, large pieces
to ensure even  cooking. Since searing the meat first—normally standard
stew  protocol—competed with the paprika’s brightness, we referred back
to a  trend we noticed in the goulash recipes gathered during research:
 skipping the sear. We tried this, softening the onions in the pot
first,  adding paprika paste, carrots, and then meat before placing the
covered  pot in the oven. Sure enough, the onions and meat provided
enough  liquid to stew the meat, and the bits of beef that cooked above
the  liquid line browned in the hot air. A bit of broth added near the
end of  cooking thinned out the stewing liquid to just the right
consistency.

Serves 6

Do not substitute hot, half-sharp, or smoked Spanish
paprika for the sweet paprika in the stew (see our recommended brands at
right), as they will compromise the flavor of the dish. Since paprika
is vital to this recipe, it is best to use a fresh container. We prefer
chuck-eye roast, but any boneless roast from the chuck will work. Cook
the stew in a Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. (Alternatively, to
ensure a tight seal, place a sheet of foil over the pot before adding
the lid.) The stew can be cooled, covered tightly, and refrigerated for
up to 2 days; wait to add the optional sour cream until after reheating.
Before reheating, skim the hardened fat from the surface and add enough
water to the stew to thin it slightly. Serve the stew over boiled
potatoes or egg noodles.

Ingredients

• 1   (3 1/2- to 4-pound) boneless beef chuck-eye roast , trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (see note)

•    Salt

• 1/3 cup  sweet paprika  (see note)

• 1 (12-ounce) jar  roasted red peppers , drained and rinsed (about 1 cup)

• 2 tablespoons  tomato paste

• 3 teaspoons  white vinegar

• 2 tablespoons  vegetable oil

• 4 large  onions , diced small (about 6 cups)

• 4 large  carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick rounds (about 2 cups)

• 1   bay leaf

• 1 cup  beef broth , warmed*

• 1/4 cup  sour cream (optional; see note)

•    ground black pepper

Instructions

• 1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and
    heat oven to 325 degrees. Sprinkle meat evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and
    let stand 15 minutes. Process paprika, roasted peppers, tomato paste,
    and 2 teaspoons vinegar in food processor until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes,
    scraping down sides as needed.

• 2. Combine oil, onions, and 1 teaspoon salt in
    large Dutch oven; cover and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring
    occasionally, until onions soften but have not yet begun to brown, 8 to
    10 minutes. (If onions begin to brown, reduce heat to medium-low and
    stir in 1 tablespoon water.)

• 3. Stir in paprika mixture; cook, stirring
    occasionally, until onions stick to bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Add
    beef, carrots, and bay leaf; stir until beef is well coated. Using
    rubber spatula, scrape down sides of pot. Cover pot and transfer to
    oven. Cook until meat is almost tender and surface of liquid is ½ inch
    below top of meat, 2 to 21/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Remove
    pot from oven and add enough beef broth so that surface of liquid is ¼
    inch from top of meat (beef should not be fully submerged*).
    Return
    covered pot to oven and continue to cook until fork slips easily in and
    out of beef, about 30 minutes longer.

• 4. Skim fat off surface; stir in remaining
    teaspoon vinegar and sour cream, if using. Remove bay leaf, adjust
    seasonings with salt and pepper, and serve.

* You don't really need the beef broth, there's plenty of liquid from the onions alone

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone ever done prime rib in the black pot? I have a few IDOS cookbooks with some recipes and am going to give it a whirl this week. I will post pics and a AAR next Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Zedhead:
Anyone ever done prime rib in the black pot? I have a few IDOS cookbooks with some recipes and am going to give it a whirl this week. I will post pics and a AAR next Sunday.

I haven't. I admire your courage though.
I have roasted plenty of prime rib roasts in a conventional oven. I rub it down with an herb-garlic blend and place it uncovered and supported on a rack in a roasting pan so it doesn't braise (Is that the correct term?) in it's own juices like a pot roast. I start it in a hot (450*) oven for 15 min. then lower it to 325*. I remove it when a meat thermometer reads 140* at the center of the roast.
It should be do-able in a dutch oven if you can support it on a rack.
Looking forward to the AAR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#27]
What's this thread doing on page 2?

A Scout classic––dump cake.

10- or 12-in oven

1 box pre-mixed yellow cake mix
1 30-oz can of fruit pie filling
1 stick of butter

Line the oven with foil.  Pour the can of pie filling in the bottom.  Sprinkle the cake mix over the top, layering evenly.  Cut the stick of butter into small (1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon) chunks, spreading evenly across the cake mix.  (Optional) sprinkle sugar across the top for a sugary crust.

Place about 8-9 coals underneath and 10-11 coals on the lid.  Bake for 10 minutes, check to make sure pie filling is boiling.  Cover again, bake for 5-10 more minutes until crust is golden brown.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone got recipies for makeing a pot rost in a cast iron dutch oven, but in an oven instead of a campfire?
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:14:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Powderfinger] [#29]
You could try mine on pg.1. If you simply want pot roast, leave out the veggies.
I would heat the dutch oven to 375 before browning the roast on each side, then lower the range to 325. If you have a cast iron dutch oven without the legs and raised edge lid for camp fire use, you could do the browning portion on the stove top.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]
you can brown with the iron as well.
Put your skillet or dutch oven in the oven - hot - think 400-425 degrees.
drop in a strip of bacon or two - bacon will cook in the oven
when the bacon is done, remove the iron from the oven.
remove the bacon
remove bacon fat, retaining tblsp or 2 in the iron - depending how much you want to use to sear.
slip your roast into the pan - the iron will retain enough heat that you can get a sear on the roast with the pan sitting on a cutting board.
reduce the heat on the oven to your cooking temperature.
leave one side of the roast relatively unseared. as the sizzle slows, flip the roast to this side then put the iron back in the oven for cooking.

––––––––-

I do plenty of roasts this way. Pot roast once. let the roast cook some uncovered. Then add small cut veggies and potatoes and liquid, then cover.
For liquid I like to use beef broth or red wine. In each case, adding an aromatic like a bay leaf is an excellent idea. Put the dutch oven back in the oven for maybe 5 minutes before covering it - helps get the veggies and liquid hot. keep the  heat moderate - 350 at most but probably closer to 300, and do NOT let it boil dry. Same process works for beef bourgignon, coq au vin, beef paprikash, or oven chili -

––––––––––

I am doing this with marinated brisket tonight. brisket is marinating now in cumin, chili powder, black pepper, lime juice, orange juice, tequila, canola oil, and fresh chopped cilantro.
It will go in the dutch oven with a slice of bacon, then simmer for about 2 1/2 hours started at 400 and turned down to about 225 because I want it melted. I will fork shred it, then use it in shredded beef burritos. Mexican risotto is the side dish. many yums will be had.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By nsl:
Anyone got recipies for makeing a pot rost in a cast iron dutch oven, but in an oven instead of a campfire?

Pioneer Women's Perfect Pot Roast

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#32]
Thread resurrection.

Chicken Cordon Bleu

4 chicken-breast halves, boneless and skinless
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 slices deli or country ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
1½ cups bread crumbs
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon marjoram
½ teaspoon sweet basil
½ teaspoon thyme
½ cup butter, melted
1 can cream of chicken and herb soup, 10 ounces
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
½ cup milk, 1%

Wash chicken breasts; pat dry. Place chicken pieces one at a time between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to about ¼-inch thin.

Coat one side of each chicken piece with 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Cover most of the chicken, but leave a small border all the way around it. Add a dash of pepper.

Place ham slice on chicken; again, leave a border around the outside.

Tightly roll each slice of cheese and place on ham. (This will give you a nice pop of melted cheese in the middle.) Roll the chicken toward the tapered end, then place seam side down. You can prepare the chicken rolls 24 hours in advance –– just wrap each one separately in plastic wrap.

In a bowl, mix bread crumbs, paprika, marjoram, basil and thyme. If using store-bought bread crumbs, use the unseasoned kind. Homemade crumbs are a breeze: Let three slices of white bread sit out for about 20 minutes; tear each slice into about four pieces; place in food processor and use the chop setting for about five pulses or until you have the consistency you want.

Melt butter. Roll each chicken piece in the melted butter, covering all sides, then roll in bread-crumb mix.

Lightly coat inside of 10-inch Dutch oven and the underside of the lid with nonstick cooking spray. Use enough charcoal briquettes for one ring around the bottom of the Dutch oven, and a full ring of coals around the edge of the lid (approximately 8-10 coals on the bottom and 18-20 coals on the lid).

Place chicken in Dutch oven and cook for 45-50 minutes. While chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Combine soup, sour cream and milk. At 35 minutes, chicken should be golden brown. Pour sauce around the chicken, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. (To cook indoors, set your oven at 375° and use the same time settings.)
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#33]
Chicken Cordon Bleu, casserole version

1  lb. baby red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1  lb. chicken breast tenders
1  bag (12 oz.) broccoli florets
1  can (10 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
8  oz. cooked ham in 1 piece, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1  cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup milk
2  Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
1  garlic clove, finely chopped

Prepare Dutch oven.  Combine all ingredients in Dutch oven; mix well.  Place 18 briquettes on top and 14 on bottom.  Bake 50-55 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout and cheese begins to brown.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Whats the best thing to cook  to season a dutch oven? My pans are coming along nice but I haven't used the DO yet.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#35]
All your answers here.  .

Though bacon's always a good choice.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What's this thread doing on page 2?

A Scout classic––dump cake.

10- or 12-in oven

1 box pre-mixed yellow cake mix
1 30-oz can of fruit pie filling
1 stick of butter

Line the oven with foil.  Pour the can of pie filling in the bottom.  Sprinkle the cake mix over the top, layering evenly.  Cut the stick of butter into small (1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon) chunks, spreading evenly across the cake mix.  (Optional) sprinkle sugar across the top for a sugary crust.

Place about 8-9 coals underneath and 10-11 coals on the lid.  Bake for 10 minutes, check to make sure pie filling is boiling.  Cover again, bake for 5-10 more minutes until crust is golden brown.
View Quote

Here's an oven-based recipie

1 pkg yellow or white cake mix  (or really any flavor...chocolate cake mix with cherry filling is pretty tasty )
2 cans pie filling
cinnamon                          
Butter
Honey (Optional)

Pour cans of filling or fruit cocktail in bottom of dutch oven.  Sprinkle cinnamon and honey over the top so it comingles with the filling while it cooks.  Sprinkle cake mix over top of fruit, DO NOT STIR!  Cut pads of butter and let fall on surface. DO NOT STIR, it will burn. Cover and bake until bubbly and top is lightly browned, about 45-60 min @350. Any combination of fruits can be used.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Pork Tenderloin

12" Dutch Oven

1-Unseasoned pork tenderloin
1-large white onion
3-green apples
7-chopped garlic cloves
1-handful baby carrots
1-cup dried apricots
1/2 box beef broth
1/4 cup brown sugar
Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, spicy rub

Rub pork tenderloin with spicy rub
heat oven on coals
sear tenderloin to brown all sides, remove from oven
place chopped onion and carrots
mix apples and brown sugar, place in oven on top of onion and carrots, chopped dried apricots
add broth and place tenderloin on top of everything
cook 45 minutes or to liking

Feeds 6

Amazing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top