I made this the other night..

1.5 lbs cube steak
1lb Chorizo sausage
4-5 slices of bacon
2 medium sweet onions, diced
1 14.5oz can of tomatoes
1/2 can (didn't check the size.. those small ones) tomato paste
about 1/2-3/4lb of frozen corn
3 Sam Adams Winter Lagers (1.5 for chili, 1.5 for you)
beef broth
5 cloves garlic, diced

Seasoning mix:

3 tbsp chili powder
1tbsp each paprika, brown sugar, instant coffee, cumin
about a teaspoon each salt, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper

Fry up the bacon in a cast iron skillet, and set it on paper towels to dry a bit.

Cut the cube steak up into 1/2" chunks, and throw it in a bowl with the seasoning mix. Coat the steak thoroughly, and brown it up in the cast iron skillet w/ bacon grease. Once browned (about 5-6 min), toss it into the crock pot.

Cut the chorizo up into smaller chunks, and fry that up in the cast iron skillet for about 5 min, then dump it into the crock pot.

Dice up the bacon, and toss it into the crock pot.

Add the onions, tomatoes, corn, garlic, and tomato paste to the crock pot.

Add Winter Lager and beef broth (in a 2:1 or 3:2 ratio) to the crock pot until it's the consistency you like in chili.

Let it rip on low for like 10 hours. Mix it up with some shredded cheese, sour cream and green onions when it's all done. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I know this is a recipe thread, but I would like to share a powerpoint I made for a class, I uploaded it to youtube.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]

For those of you that can't get good chili powder locally:

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for home
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a chili I made a while back on the grill. Might as well add it to this thread.

As with all worthy chills, this one starts with the making of the base sauce known as chile colorado.

First, get out the chiles.

De-seed them.

Toast them in the oven 'til they smell like toasted chiles. Do not overcook them, or they will be bitter.

Soak them in simmering water for 10-20 minutes. This leaches out the astringent compounds in the chiles and is very important.

Meanwhile, brown some onions, adding garlic at the very end.

Use a plate to keep the chiles submerged.

Puree the chiles in a food processor.

Heat up a skillet to very hot and then toss in the chile puree all at once and then stir like a madman as it gives off a heavenly smell and darkens substantially. Stop after a minute or so. Do not burn the chile puree, or it will turn bitter. This step is called "frying the sauce" and adds noticeably to the depth of flavor of the finished chili.

Mix the fried chile colorado and your onions in a pot. Now, you are ready for the meat.

Speaking of meat, today, we are cooking a cut of meat called "special trim" at the restaurant supply. What is special trim? I don't really know, except that it looks and cooks very similar to flank or skirt steak, except that it is far thicker than either of those cuts—and also far cheaper than either of those cuts. Some say it is the muscle on a cow analogous to the latissimus dorsi muscle on a human. It has a great meaty taste but unless you butterfly it and then cut it paper thin, it's tough. The way around that is to cook it a while, as we will be doing in this chili.

And today we are grilling and smoking the meat. Those slabs are thicker than they look. That's about 5 lb. of meat.

Get it good and charred, and then move it to the cool side to keep cooking/smoking a bit.

When it's ready, bring it in and rest it for a few minutes, and then cut it into whatever size chunks you like.

Then, toss some smoking wood onto the coals and the meat in with the onions and fried sauce. Pour the steak juices in with the chile colorado. Add cumin, beer, Mexi oregano, salt, and pepper to your taste.Stir it well and put the pot onto the grill.

This grill is a very versatile device. It grills, smokes, cooks pizzas to die for, and even makes a great outdoor oven. In this case, we're using it as an outdoor oven. I set it to 350 degrees.

Once the chili is on the smoke, check it every half hour and pull the chili off while that nice special trim still has a touch of bite.

Staring to look darker and more evil. The meat is almost done, after 2 hours. Back on the smoke . . .

It's done when the meat has a little bit of bite left. Extra credit if the chile colorado is also thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Money shot. I like my chili with some grated cheese and sour cream.

Flavor like this is difficult to describe. Smokey, musky, dark, spicy warm but not too hot, and utterly delicious. Yes, it's a bit of work to make, but it was totally worth it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By forker:

Here's a chili I made a while back on the grill. Might as well add it to this thread.

View Quote

As with all worthy chills, this one starts with the making of the base sauce known as chile colorado.

First, get out the chiles.

De-seed them.

Toast them in the oven 'til they smell like toasted chiles. Do not overcook them, or they will be bitter.

Soak them in simmering water for 10-20 minutes. This leaches out the astringent compounds in the chiles and is very important.

Meanwhile, brown some onions, adding garlic at the very end.

Use a plate to keep the chiles submerged.

Puree the chiles in a food processor.

Heat up a skillet to very hot and then toss in the chile puree all at once and then stir like a madman as it gives off a heavenly smell and darkens substantially. Stop after a minute or so. Do not burn the chile puree, or it will turn bitter. This step is called "frying the sauce" and adds noticeably to the depth of flavor of the finished chili.

Mix the fried chile colorado and your onions in a pot. Now, you are ready for the meat.

Speaking of meat, today, we are cooking a cut of meat called "special trim" at the restaurant supply. What is special trim? I don't really know, except that it looks and cooks very similar to flank or skirt steak, except that it is far thicker than either of those cuts—and also far cheaper than either of those cuts. Some say it is the muscle on a cow analogous to the latissimus dorsi muscle on a human. It has a great meaty taste but unless you butterfly it and then cut it paper thin, it's tough. The way around that is to cook it a while, as we will be doing in this chili.

And today we are grilling and smoking the meat. Those slabs are thicker than they look. That's about 5 lb. of meat.

Get it good and charred, and then move it to the cool side to keep cooking/smoking a bit.

When it's ready, bring it in and rest it for a few minutes, and then cut it into whatever size chunks you like.

Then, toss some smoking wood onto the coals and the meat in with the onions and fried sauce. Pour the steak juices in with the chile colorado. Add cumin, beer, Mexi oregano, salt, and pepper to your taste.Stir it well and put the pot onto the grill.

This grill is a very versatile device. It grills, smokes, cooks pizzas to die for, and even makes a great outdoor oven. In this case, we're using it as an outdoor oven. I set it to 350 degrees.

Once the chili is on the smoke, check it every half hour and pull the chili off while that nice special trim still has a touch of bite.

Staring to look darker and more evil. The meat is almost done, after 2 hours. Back on the smoke . . .

It's done when the meat has a little bit of bite left. Extra credit if the chile colorado is also thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Money shot. I like my chili with some grated cheese and sour cream.

Flavor like this is difficult to describe. Smokey, musky, dark, spicy warm but not too hot, and utterly delicious. Yes, it's a bit of work to make, but it was totally worth it.

When do we eat?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Beanless chili question...

I just made my first batch of beanless.  The consistency of my chili is extremely watery.  What should I do to improve?  My rough recipe follows.  Cooking method was overnight in a slow cooker.

3 lbs beef (browned in skillet, covered with salt and pepper)
1/2 dozen Anaheim peppers
Dozen Serrano peppers
Dozen jalapeño peppers
2 onions
5 diced tomatoes (I had a bunch in the counter that I needed to use up, otherwise I probably would have left them out)
Chili powder
Cumin
Minced garlic
Salt/pepper
1 quart water (enough to cover contents if slow cooker)

When I think of chili, I think thick and viscous, not watery.  I was satisfied with the flavor.  The heat was fairly mild.  The grocery near me also stocks habaneros and little Thai chiles.  I would probably double the onions, not use tomatoes, and replace the water with beer.  I am open to any and all suggestions.

No grill... I am TDY in San Diego in an apartment complex...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#12]
I've never written down my chili recipe.

I start with a pound of good, center cut bacon. I put the whole pound in,  my kids will kill off the leftovers. I turn it into a crisp, and take out all bacon to drain on a paper towel.

I add to the bacon fat: minced red onions. I kind of eyeball it, but usually one really big one, or one and a half medium ones. While that is going, I smash the hell out of my garlic cloves, and press the biggest ones I can find into the pot. I have never, and probably will never mince a garlic clove. I use...about 5 big ones to the pot, pressed.

when the onions look ready, like see through, and smell righteous, I add 1# of ground pork, and 2# of ground chuck. Everybody knows what to do here, brown and crumble.

meanwhile, back at the Q,  I have all my peppers over an open flame. 2 each Red Bell, Orange Bell, Yellow bell, Serrano, anaheim, Jalepino,  a few others that are my secret recipe. Char, and cook with the lid down until they are crispy, and juicy.

back at the stove, when all pink is gone, I drain the meat/aromatic through a colander. Then back into the pot with a big can of tomato paste. I let the paste almost caramelize over the flame and into the meat.  Then the BEER! I use coors light. I'm a low rent cook, and cook with what I drink. It steams up the kitchen, scrape the pot, then add 2 big cans of petite diced tomatoes.

Heat is on low now.

Add in a bunch of chili powder. cumin, salt, pepper and other secret spices! (chipotle)

Then while everything is simmering, I go to work. I skin, and seed every roasted pepper, jalapino to Yellow. Serrano to Red...That's the most time consuming thing with this dish, not hard, but time consuming. Then finely dice everything. At that point I'm happy to kill these peppers with a knife over and over again!

Everything into the pot.  Low simmer for a while, and pretty much perfection.

I've added beans before, but my fam doesn't like beans.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always made a good chili but around here that means with beans.  After looking at a bunch of these threads here I want to try to make some of this Texas meat sauce chili.  
I looked around at some of the recipes here and based on ingredients that I  can get in my area I came up with the following. I could go the chili powder route but I want to use some whole dried Ancho and Guajilo papers I have to make a puree as a base.  (forker's recipe struck me as being a good way to use these peppers though I decided to make a few changes.)   I would like to get some suggestions if some of you guys see something that doesn't look right or if something important is missing since this is the first time I have tried this. The main question I have is in regards to the peppers.  Is it a good ratio or should I have more ancho peppers?   Do I have enough of them?  Should I still add some chili powder?  Also, I'm not trying to make it verry hot this time since my wife doesn't like hot.  I figured that for the purpose of learning what this will be like it probably doesn't need to be that hot this time.

Ingredients:
•2-1/2 lbs. of beef chuck.  (1/2 inch Cubes)
•2 - Ancho peppers.
•4 - Guajillo peppers.
•8 – cloves of garlic, diced.
•2 – Sweet onions.  (Chopped)
•½ bottle of good dark beer.  (You can use the soaking liquid from the chilies as an alternative)
•¼  -  tsp Oregano.
•2+ - TBSP  ground cumin.
•Chili powder.  (If needed)
•Salt to taste.
•Pepper.
•Green chilies.  (Jalapenos   or  serranos.)
•Sour cream.
•Cheese.
•Lime wedge.
•Cooking oil.

Directions:
Slice peppers and open them.  De-seed the peppers.  Reconstitute peppers in hot water.   ( 10-15 minutes with a plate holding them down in the hot water)   Put peppers into food processor and make a purée.  Set aside.
Add oil to pan and brown onions.  Set aside.
Brown the beef in oil.  Add some salt and pepper.   Set aside.
Lightly fry the chili pepper purée in a hot pan with oil for only about three minutes, stirring frequently.  Do not burn it.
Combine the onions, chili sauce into a pot with the garlic.  Add beer (or substitute chili soaking water) to thin the mixture.  Add dried spices.   Simmer for about 20 minutes to purge the alcohol from the beer.  Add the browned beef and simmer until meat is tender.   (Usually about 1-1/2 – 2 hours)
Serve with grated cheese, chopped green chilies and sour cream and a little juice of a lime.
*Add sugar if it is too bitter.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
For those who are interested, I found a place in New Braunfels, TX, that claims to be the birthplace of chili powder.
I haven't been there, yet, but I'm planning on it.
http://thephoenixsaloon.com/history/
And for those who live near Austin, there is a spice shop that specializes in spices (of course), and they have about
every spice you can think of and maybe some you've never heard of. I last visited their shop when they were still on
6th Street before they moved out to The Arboretum.
http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/texas/austin-the-arboretum.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DieselEngineer:

I just made my first batch of beanless.  The consistency of my chili is extremely watery.  What should I do to improve?  My rough recipe follows.  Cooking method was overnight in a slow cooker.

Dozen Serrano peppers
Dozen jalapeño peppers
2 onions
5 diced tomatoes (I had a bunch in the counter that I needed to use up, otherwise I probably would have left them out)
Chili powder
Cumin
Minced garlic
Salt/pepper

When I think of chili, I think thick and viscous, not watery.  I was satisfied with the flavor.  The heat was fairly mild.  The grocery near me also stocks habaneros and little Thai chiles.  I would probably double the onions, not use tomatoes, and replace the water with beer.  I am open to any and all suggestions.

View Quote

IMO, I would have cooked the peppers separately before adding them in. I roast mine, and even then they are amazingly juicy before I dice them up to add to the pot.  Don't underestimate how much liquid is in those raw chilies.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hank] [#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Good bump on this thread. I was just fixin' to make some chili tonight, and this had just the help I needed. In two years of hanging about GD, I finally made my first batch of 'Texas' chili (cubed beef, no beans). It was quite decent. The wife said, "I guess arfcom is good for something after all.' I will be trying this again. Thanks, arfcom, for broadening my palate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Hank:

Also, there's a freaking quart of water in there. Holy crap. One, maybe two, beers is all it should take with that little meat. For reference, I normally do two beers for five to six ounces of beef and usually have liquid left over once we are done eating the chili.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xDawn:

Dozen Serrano peppers
Dozen jalapeño peppers
2 onions
Chili powder
Cumin
Minced garlic
Salt/pepper

IMO, I would have cooked the peppers separately before adding them in. I roast mine, and even then they are amazingly juicy before I dice them up to add to the pot.  Don't underestimate how much liquid is in those raw chilies.

Also, there's a freaking quart of water in there. Holy crap. One, maybe two, beers is all it should take with that little meat. For reference, I normally do two beers for five to six ounces of beef and usually have liquid left over once we are done eating the chili.

I'm going to give this another go next weekend.  I had no idea peppers had so much water in them.  The store near me also stocks scotch bonnets, habanero, and a a couple others, too.

When you roast the peppers, do you cut them up and spread them on a baking sheet?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#19]

I'm going to give this another go next weekend.  I had no idea peppers had so much water in them.  The store near me also stocks scotch bonnets, habanero, and a a couple others, too.

When you roast the peppers, do you cut them up and spread them on a baking sheet?

View All Quotes

Dozen Serrano peppers

Dozen jalapeño peppers

2 onions

Chili powder

Cumin

Minced garlic

Salt/pepper

No.  Roast them whole.  Once they have a good char on them, put them in a ziplock baggie for 10 minutes.  The steam will allow you to wipe the charred skin right off.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:28:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#20]

View All Quotes

Dozen Serrano peppers
Dozen jalapeño peppers
2 onions
Chili powder
Cumin
Minced garlic
Salt/pepper

No. I roast them whole all  over an open flame on my barbeque, charring, and turning with high heat, lid off until completely charred,  and then high heat, lid on until they are a little bit soggy. if that makes sense. I have to wait until they are cool enough to work with after that, Stem's out, and cut them vertically along seams, let the juices out, and then take the seeds out, and then take the charred skin off. it's easy if it's properly charred, but a little time consuming.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Striker:

she's alive!!!
View All Quotes

No. I roast them whole all over an open flame on my barbeque, charring, and turning with high heat, lid off until completely charred, and then high heat, lid on until they are a little bit soggy. if that makes sense. I have to wait until they are cool enough to work with after that, Stem's out, and cut them vertically along seams, let the juices out, and then take the seeds out, and then take the charred skin off. it's easy if it's properly charred, but a little time consuming.

she's alive!!!
Indeed.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I wanted some chili tonight, but really didn't have time to make a proper recipe.  I keep a box of Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit in my cupboard for just such occasions.

There isn't sufficient time to cook down cubed round or chuck, so hamburger goes in it.  It makes a very decent bowl to get you through such hard times.  

I served it on top of cracked tortilla chips with cheese and fresh onion on top.  Leftovers will go on hot dogs one evening and then on an egg omelet this weekend.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone got a recipe like the Texas Chili from Jason's deli?  I see all these but can't pinpoint which one is most like it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Indeed.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pcsutton:

No. I roast them whole all over an open flame on my barbeque, charring, and turning with high heat, lid off until completely charred, and then high heat, lid on until they are a little bit soggy. if that makes sense. I have to wait until they are cool enough to work with after that, Stem's out, and cut them vertically along seams, let the juices out, and then take the seeds out, and then take the charred skin off. it's easy if it's properly charred, but a little time consuming.

she's alive!!!
Indeed.

I love you guys!!

My Chili's pretty tight too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By bcw107:
Do you guys use a grinder or just pre-dried powders?  Any ratios to start with?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bcw107:

Originally Posted By HBruns:

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Very nice! It's weird that you don't like chili powder. Have you tried different kinds? They're all quite different. You should try making your own - it's easy, and you can customize what peppers you put in it. I usually use ancho, arbol, and guajillo as a base. Other than that, I think the only other ingredients are cumin and oregano.

I made a batch of chili this weekend and also made up the chili powder. You are right - it is easy to make.

I'll have to check out Central Market for the variety if dried chili peppers... at he HEB that I went to the three differently labelled bins had dried peppers that all looked & smelled identical.

Do you guys use a grinder or just pre-dried powders?  Any ratios to start with?

I used to use a mortar and pestle to grind up dried chilis, then put them through a coffee grinder.

Now, I just soak my dried chilis in the same beer I'm going to use in the pot. Then I process them into paste in my food processor. Lots less work.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Way too much water. You don't need to cover everything. It's always easier to add more if you need it.
View Quote

Any water is too much water. I use strictly shiner bock for fluid in my chili.

For thickening (and flavor) toasted masa harina does the trick.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Just made another batch based on this thread, bless y'all for the recipes. I'm still a novice at Texas chili, so keep the recipes coming. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By forker:
An old post I did on the subject:

Seems like at least twice a week, someone asks for a good chili recipe. Undoubtedly, there are thousands of those, because chili went "viral” in the 20th century, spread around the US first and then the world, and morphed into innumerable forms.

Instead of swimming in that flow, I’d like to take you back to the roots of chili, to show you the mother dish from which what nortenos call "chili” or "chili con carne” was whelped. That dish is the ubiquitous (and somewhat variable) Mexican standard called "carne con chili colorado,” more or less "meat with red chili sauce.”

There’re a bazillion versions of this dish, with different meats and different amounts of liquid, and it’s eaten as a filling for tamales or tacos or burritos in some places and as a thick stew in others. That latter version—the thick stew— is what I’ll present here. Try it out. You may like it as is. Even if you do not, it can give you a base from which you can branch out and make your own "perfect” version of the classic original.

What You’ll Need

The irreducible minimum you need is some type of meat and some type of red chilis. The Mexicans most often use pork. In some regions, beef is more common, so they use that. Rarely, they also use chicken or even iguana. Each region has its favorite chilis. I prefer anchos. Some regions use onions and garlic; some do not. I prefer having both.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000009.jpg

Here’s my basics: a 1-lb. bag of dried anchos, about 10 lb. (untrimmed) pork sirloin, and a couple sweet onions.

I spent a bunch of money on ammo today at the range, so I bought the cheaper pork over the more-expensive beef. Mostly, the sauce flavors the meat, rather than the meat flavoring the sauce, so few people would even know it was pork. Use whatever meat you want, including hamburger or ground turkey. Keep in mind, though, that different meats taste their best with different amounts of cooking. If you are using relatively tough meat such as chuck, you need to cook it longer to get it tender. If using more tender meat such as sirloin, you just” want it cooked through, or it will dry out and get mealy. More on this later.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000019.jpg

Chili type matters, though it is most important to get good chilis, whatever the type. The chili on the left is a good chili; the chili on the right is a less-good chili. Those light patches are where the larva of a moth ate the pulp of the chili. Toss these out. I selected well, though. In the 1-lb. bag there was only one bad chili. Good anchos will be soft and smell like raisins. Get good anchos.

Getting Started

Here’s how I was shown to do it by a senorita in Mexico. It is not the only method. It is a good one, though. I try to have several things going on at once, and that helps reduce the elapsed time on this to about 45 minutes.

First, start the oven, and set it to 350 degrees to heat.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000013.jpg

Second, put a heavy skillet on the burner on high heat.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000015.jpg

Third, put on a big pot of water on high.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000014.jpg

Fourth, cut up the onions, and get them browning in the skillet. I like bigger chunks. Cut the onions to whatever size you like.

Cleaning and Toasting Chilis

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000016.jpg

Cleaning means basically cracking them open, wiping out the seeds, and pulling off the stems. In some chilis, the "vein” tissue to which the seeds are attached holds lots of heat. If you have hot chilis and do not want the heat, scrape off the veins. The anchos I use are not hot, so I leave the veins.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000020.jpg

After scraping out the seeds, fold each chili as flat as you can, and toss them on a sheet pan. As the pan fills, keep them in a single layer. When the sheet is full, toss it into the oven and keep cleaning chilis and stirring the onions in the skillet.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000021.jpg

Keep your nose on high alert, though. When you smell the pleasant smell of roasted chilis, pull the chilis out of the oven. This’ll take 5-10 minutes, depending on chili type. Note that the flesh side has lightened in color and turned a rusty red. If you toast them too much, they will get bitter. Avoid this and under-tioast rather than over-toast, especially if this is your first time.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000022.jpg

Toss the toasted chilis into the hot water, and mix them through to get them wet. You want to boil them briefly and soak them for 20 minutes or so to leach out the bitterness and astringency. Meanwhile, toss in the second batch of chilis to roast.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000024-1.jpg

About now, the onions’ll be nice and brown. Put them in a bowl and put the pan back on the heat for use in browning the meat.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000029.jpg

Do not forget the second batch of chilis. When they smell done, put them into the hot water and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Shut off the heat, and let the chilis soak.

Cutting and Browning the Meat

While all that’s going on, start cutting the meat. If it’s tough meat, grind it or cut it thinner. If tender meat, cut it whatever size you like.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000026.jpg

The pork sirloin I used is tender. I like it about the size of the outermost joint of my thumb.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000030.jpg

Toss it in the hot pan as you cut it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000031.jpg

By the time you get done, the pan’ll be full enough that Julia Childs would have a cow. Who cares? She’s dead, and this ain’t French cooking. Sure, it’s be nice to brown the meat in single layers and get even caramelization on every surface of every piece, but that is totally unnecessary here. This is Mexican cooking. The sauce flavors the meat, and not vice-versa. Brown as best you can but cook until the meat is just done at this time.

Making the Sauce

While the meat is browning, finish the sauce. The first step is to make a puree of the roasted, soaked chilis. It’s best to do this with a food processor, though it can be done with a blender or even a mortar and pestle. I use a processor.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000032.jpg

Move the pot of chilis over to the processor and then use a tongs to transfer half the chilis into the processor.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000034.jpg

Grind them up, and then add the other half and grind some more. Do not worry about draining the chilis thoroughly. The undrained soaking liquid will help keep the puree from getting too thick.

Meanwhile, put on the stove on high heat another skillet. Tis is in preparation for the next step, which is "frying" the sauce.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000037.jpg

This is what the finished puree should look like.

Frying the Sauce

This step may sound unnecessary, but it actually adds noticeably to the depth of flavor of the sauce. When the skillet is smoking hot, add some oil, and then quickly toss in the sauce and start stirring immediately.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000038.jpg

It will nearly explode and steam and hiss. Stir it vigorously, and it will slowly darken and thicken over 3-5 minutes of time. Be very careful if this is your first time to not scorchy the chili paste, lest it get bitter. Undercook rather than overcook until you gain more experience.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000039.jpg

When it’s darkened a few shades (from darkening, not from burning), pull it from the heat.

Pulling it All Together

Now, we have browned onions and meat and sauce done. Here’s how to finish it:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000042.jpg

Toss the sauce in the chili pot. Add salt to taste. Then add cumin to taste. Start with 2 teaspoons of it, and add more after it has heated up, if necessary. Then oregano. Best is Mexican oregano, though the more common Italian or Greek varieties will do in a pinch. The important thing is that less is more with oregano, else it will taste like pizza sauce. Start with 2 teaspoons and add more only if necessary. If, but only if, it’s too bitter or too slaty, add some sugar. Again, less is more.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000041.jpg

Then, toss in the onions and stir them through. If this will be a filling-type chili, add the meat and heat through. And you're done, unless you need to good tough meat longer.

If it’s to be a stew-type chili, do not add the meat at this time. Instead, you will need to carefully add liquid to thin it out. I use beer. It doesn’t matter what brand. In this case, I added one Fat Tire and one PBR. Add whatever you want but do not thin it out too much. Bring it to a boil to distill out the alcohol. If you do not want to use beer, use broth or the soaking liquid from the chilis.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000043.jpg

Then, toss in the meat. If it’s tender meat, stir it through, and take your chili off the heat. If it’s tough meat, you will need to simmer it until the meat is to your "tooth.”

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/greguzzi/P1000044.jpg

Here’s the finished stew-type carne con chili colorado. The meat is tender but not dried out from over-cooking, the sauce is packed with chili flavor but is not hot at all, and it is thick without the need for adding any thickener. No tomatoes. No beans. The real shit.

It'll be good now, but even better if you let it sit 24 hours.

Give it a try. You may find that even though thousands of people have spent 150 years trying, they really have not improved appreciably on the original "paleo” chili.
View Quote

Made this over the weekend, and while it was a bit of effort, it was truly worth the finished product. Great deep flavor and fall apart tender chunks of pork. I used Murphy's stout and a good bit of paprika, but otherwise followed the recipe as shown. Served with home made corn bread, definitely going to be put into the house rotation
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:56:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#35]
<This is a RECIPE thread, not a discussion thread - Z>
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#36]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#37]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:40:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#38]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#39]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:42:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#40]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#41]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Probably one of the best threads on the forum. Subscribed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I made this recipe about a month ago, and it turned out really good.  It is short rib chili.  The one thing I did first was smoke the short ribs for a couple of hours, and then added it to the liquid/other ingredients.

Short Rib Chili
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:05:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By unsub073:
I made this recipe about a month ago, and it turned out really good.  It is short rib chili.  The one thing I did first was smoke the short ribs for a couple of hours, and then added it to the liquid/other ingredients.

Short Rib Chili
View Quote
That recipe looked pretty good until I saw the cinnamon and cloves. Wonder how it would be with that left out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bc5000:

That recipe looked pretty good until I saw the cinnamon and cloves. Wonder how it would be with that left out.
View Quote
I don't think it would affect it that much b/c there is so little of either spice being used in it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_S] [#47]
This is not my recipe.
I want to make sure and give proper credit to the original author.I
But this is one of the best chili recipes, I have ever found.
And it needed a repost.

This recipe was originally posted in 2011
On the big green egg forum
By user:  egret

"Cow Lickin' Chili

Ingredients :

Olive Oil
1.5 - 2 lbs. ground Chuck
1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
2 cups Onion (chopped)
1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
1 Tbs. Garlic (minced)
1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 can Rotel
2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
1 can (29 oz.) Hominy (drained) - optional
3 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tbs. Ancho Chile Powder
1.5 Tbs. ground Cumin
2 (1 oz.) squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. dried Oregano
3 Tbs. DP Cow Lick Steak Rub
2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup Dry Red Wine
2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
*Note : you may want to remove the seeds from these dried peppers before adding so they don't release during cooking.

Wood Chunks

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350 with inverted plate setter (legs up).
Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.
Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).
Close lid and cook until all the meat is browned, stirring every few minutes.
Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 or more hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).
Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees.
Remove bay leaves, dried chiles and serve. "

Yes chocolate & cinnamon in chili, and it works!!
Why this recipe needed to be reposted!
I have done this in the stove top, and not my Big Green Egg.
When you do this, you do loose some of the Smokey flavor.
Also I use only ground chuck, and no Italian sausage.
And only a half of can of drained Dark Kidney Beans.
Also I add a additional table spoon on chili powder. But that is more personal preference.
Also as I do not have any Dizzy Pig Cow Lick steak rub, I have substitute with other steak rub.

Try this one out guys!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Chili cheat!

Found this at Walmart and it is wonderful.  Can make chili without all the work.  At $4 a bag it is almost the same price.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Is this a perma thread now?  Bump just in case because this is a classic.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
That Cin-Chili is da bomb. I've got quite a stock of her spice packs for quick chili.

Also, here's a link to all the CASI Terlingua Chili Champion recipes...

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html
View Quote
New Link
https://www.casichili.net/recipes.html
Page / 3
RECIPE: Chili (NO beans) (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top