Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
Good Evening All:

So, I learned that my Grandfather whom I never had the pleasure of meeting (he died in 1950, I was born in 1964) was a Master Mason.

Is there some "Master Registry" of sorts that keeps records of admittance into a Lodge or the Shrine?  I am told that he was "somebody" in masonry, a higher level of degree, perhaps an office holder in a lodge, but he was time time into this as I was told by my cousin's husband....

He died in Chicago, Illinois in 1950.  He spent time in Newark NJ just after the war for his employer (WF Hall Printing where he was a Superintendent).

But most of his time was in Chicago Illinois.  North Side, Portage Park neighborhood.  St. Pascal's parish. Lived in Portage Park over by Mason and Cullom Aves.

I was told that although he was a Mason, he was a steadfast supporter and contributor to the Catholic Church.  He printed the weekly missalette on a press in his basement, and when the Archdiocese wanted to sell plots of land at a cemetery just outside of Chicago he bought a family plot.  He thought nothing of it, being a good catholic, and addressed a future need for his family.

As I stated he died in 1950 and when his family went to bury him at the cemetery he was REFUSED burial on consecrated grounds due to being a Mason.  My Aunt/His daughter put up such a hellacious stink (and boy, my Aunt Eve can be short, direct and to the point when she wants!) that they relented and allowed him to be buried there.  Is this possible/probable in the late 40's/early 50's in the midwest, or could this be an embellishment of a tale?

I appreciate any guidance on this.

Regards,

Wally
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found the Grand Lodge of Illinois quite helpful when I was searching for information regarding family members who were Masons in Illinois.

Our local Catholic cemetery has at least one Mason buried there, and unless we move from this area, it's quite possible that I'll be buried there as well.  My wife is Catholic, I am not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top