Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My grandfather was a 33rd degree Mason.  My father was a 32nd degree Mason.  Both were enrolled in the Manila (Philippines) Lodge shortly after the end of the Second World War.  Both had to wait to be invited.  Even when I was a teenager (in the 1970's), I was told by both my Grandfather and Father that membership was by invitation only.  

It is only in the last decade or so that I have heard the Masons advertising, "If you want to be one, ask one."

When did the change occur?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not to late for you to become a Mason, if you wish to do so. All you have to do is ask to be one.

There is a reason why Masons do not solicit for membership, and if you become a Mason, you will learn the reason.
My grandfather was a 33rd degree Mason.  My father was a 32nd degree Mason.  Both were enrolled in the Manila (Philippines) Lodge shortly after the end of the Second World War.  Both had to wait to be invited.  Even when I was a teenager (in the 1970's), I was told by both my Grandfather and Father that membership was by invitation only.  

It is only in the last decade or so that I have heard the Masons advertising, "If you want to be one, ask one."

When did the change occur?
Never.
It's always been 2B1A1.

Ever think they didn't think it was right for you?

Welcome to arfcom and the Masons forum. We welcome you to join in any discussion. 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why the secrecy?  Who gives a rip that you would want to have a secret handshake kiss, hug or whatever?
View Quote
We care.

These days due to the internet the really aren't any secrets however we have all taken an oath that we won't tell you what they are.

When this all started hundreds of years ago it was a stone masons Guild and those secrets were the secrets of Masonry. The grips were their way of identifying each other... simply put.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Wisconsin Masonic Code states you cannot "entice" anyone to join.  As a Past Grand Master puts it, "That means we can't offer them a toaster."  But there is no prohibition to letting people know who we are and what we do.  It only makes sense.  Then, to those we believe would benefit from the fraternity, and those that would be a benefit we simply ask, 'Is that something you would like to be a part of?'
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Im bumping this for the new readers of this section.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wisconsin Masonic Code states you cannot "entice" anyone to join.  As a Past Grand Master puts it, "That means we can't offer them a toaster."  But there is no prohibition to letting people know who we are and what we do.  It only makes sense.  Then, to those we believe would benefit from the fraternity, and those that would be a benefit we simply ask, 'Is that something you would like to be a part of?'
View Quote
Ohio a few years back has begun to allow us to do similar when we see a man who we feel would be a valid candidate.

I am proud to be a 3rd Degree Master Mason, 32nd Degree Scottish Rite and Shriner.  Same as my father and my younger brother.

I had always wondered why my father never asked me to join as some others on here.   While he was in the hospital, fighting lung cancer, I had spoken with a close friend of mine about joining and he gave me the rundown on it.   I had him to get the petition for me and 2nd line it.  I then took it to my father and asked him a few weeks before he passed (March 2008).  That was one of the rare times I had seen him smile during his battle.  He said he would be proud to sign it for me but that he probably wouldnt be around to be in lodge, but he would see it.   Since he passed, I could not use that petition but had another one signed by his best friend and my best friend.  It seemed perfect.   His best friend was a Past Master of another lodge and was able to raise me.   Something I will never forget.   I know Dad was watching.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a different reason for must of us. My Grandfather was a Mason. I wanted to be just like him growing up. If he was a Mason it had to be a good organization. With that in mind I asked a buddy of mine who is a Mason about joining. Sadly this happened after my granddad passed. 
View Quote
I sat with one Grandfather when he got his 50 year do-dads. That was cool.
The other couldn't make it to the lodge anymore by the time I was raised.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a different reason for must of us. My Grandfather was a Mason. I wanted to be just like him growing up. If he was a Mason it had to be a good organization. With that in mind I asked a buddy of mine who is a Mason about joining. Sadly this happened after my granddad passed. 
View Quote
I sat with one Grandfather when he got his 50 year do-dads. That was cool.
The other couldn't make it to the lodge anymore by the time I was raised.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ask yourself why does he continue with it if it's all mumbo jumbo? 
I suspect he doesn't want you to join, otherwise he would explain it to you properly. 
View Quote
I had one friend that I discouraged from applying. He is basically a good guy but he wouldn't have made it unfortunately.
If he would have asked, I would have got him an application.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ironically the secret stuff in both of those is almost identical to each other, apart from a few specific phraseology changes. lol. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand that for the most part. As far as the secrets secret stuff. I guess to each his own. But I was told the same line growing up in Mormonism. I don't buy either excuse.
ironically the secret stuff in both of those is almost identical to each other, apart from a few specific phraseology changes. lol. 
I spoke to a guy who had applied to a lodge and he was learning the work.
He had been in another "secret" group here in the deep south earlier in his life and he said all the work was basically the same "apart from a few specific phraseology changes."
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He had been in another "secret" group here in the deep south earlier in his life and he said all the work was basically the same "apart from a few specific phraseology changes."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand that for the most part. As far as the secrets secret stuff. I guess to each his own. But I was told the same line growing up in Mormonism. I don't buy either excuse.
Im not going to mention the other secret group, but its a shame because all the profanes that I have met in the south think that we are the same group.  I think thats horrible.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
If any of you Brothers in here dont have a badge next to your user name and want one.... click here
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Odd Fellows?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Odd Fellows?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd Fellows?
send him a pm. I dont want this topic to mar this thread or our reputation.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Are there any official Masonic texts which are studied? What is the difference between the ‘3 degrees’ and the ‘33 degrees?’
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are there any official Masonic texts which are studied? What is the difference between the '3 degrees' and the '33 degrees?'
View Quote
Yes and no on the texts. It depends which jurisdiction you are in. Most of the learning is passed on from mouth to ear.
The guys teaching are certified by us as instuctors.

The blue lodge has the first 3 degrees.
4 to 32 are degrees within the Scottish Rite body. 33rd is a SR degree that is honorary to a man, who has exemplary service to Freemasonry in general. Not many gets this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had a great college fraternity experience and have been in the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR and CAR) pretty much since birth. I would love to get that experience again but am limited in time. Oh and also the fact that I don't believe in a god. Always a shame when organizations exclude quality prospects based off religious belief. Seems outdated but it's your club so you get to make the rules and I can respect that. Just always seems like a missed opportunity to do good service with an interesting group. Oh well, not meant to be. Have fun!
View Quote
The requirement for a prospective member to have a belief in Deity is not religious. it is meant to serve as an acknowledgement that there is a greater power than man and that through that understanding we are humbling ourselves. We are not religious and have no requirement that the Deity be of one specific denominational construct.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I doubt there's any PH masons on ARF.  Most states don't recognize that organization as legit.
View Quote
That's a completely different topic worthy of discussion itself. I personally do not think there is any room in the modern era for the kind of bigotry that would exclude formal recognition of our PH Brothers. I am proud to have been raised in Missouri where the PH Lodges are not only recognized, but the MWM of the GLPHM is invited to the Annual Communications and warmly and genuinely greeted with Grand Honors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's a completely different topic worthy of discussion itself. I personally do not think there is any room in the modern era for the kind of bigotry that would exclude formal recognition of our PH Brothers. I am proud to have been raised in Missouri where the PH Lodges are not only recognized, but the MWM of the GLPHM is invited to the Annual Communications and warmly and genuinely greeted with Grand Honors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt there's any PH masons on ARF.  Most states don't recognize that organization as legit.
They are recognized here, but none are near my AO.  We have a couple black guys in our lodge. none attend.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
42 of the 51 US Grand jurisdictions recognize Prince Hall Masonry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI, a year ago when I posted that, I wasnt as smart as I am now about that fact.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
1. How old is your granny...?
2. What is the connection between the Masons and the mason jar?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1. How old is your granny...?
2. What is the connection between the Masons and the mason jar?
View Quote
None.  John Mason invented the jar.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Found a local lodge with "AF" and "AM" on the main board with the lodge number, etc. What do those acronyms mean?

Secondly, it seems on the building it mentions Order of the eastern Star, should this mean anything other than they rotate use of the building?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I have long considered joining and am looking to take the first step. Would I show up randomly to the posted meeting date, or should I touch base with the membership first?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:43:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:48:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have long considered joining and am looking to take the first step. Would I show up randomly to the posted meeting date, or should I touch base with the membership first?
View Quote
I'll provide,you with some links to look at when I get home and some further suggestions.

Heck, I'll even make contact on your behalf if you want.... I've done it for a lot of guys on here, and will certainly do it for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What part of Texas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What part of Texas?
Near the Austin area

Quoted:
I'll provide,you with some links to look at when I get home and some further suggestions.

Heck, I'll even make contact on your behalf if you want.... I've done it for a lot of guys on here, and will certainly do it for you.
Much appreciated, I'll PM you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They are recognized here, but none are near my AO.  We have a couple black guys in our lodge. none attend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PHA is recognized here but PH is not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AF&AM is the ancients lodges. in 1738 there was a split in england when the grand lodge changed the ritual work. The Ancients lodges continued with the work in the original format and started their own lodges and grand lodge. the 2 lodges reconciled in 1813. While technically separate organizations both recognize the other and are mainstream lodges fully accepted. in the US this is typically a state issue. Some states were originally chartered under the UGLE and are AM. Other under the AF&AM lodge and bear that name.
View Quote
Awesome.  I don't know the terminology to use, I guess I wanted to make sure they were on the "up and up".  They are listed on the NC Mason website as well which makes me feel better.  Should I know anything or be concerned with the Eastern Star part?

Thank you everyone for your responses and info, very informative!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree about the demographic of the PH lodges, and that might have something to do with their religious fervor, but the sales pitch sounds the same. "good men better, btw, check out all the money we give away. You are probably asking yourself..." I really wasn't. nice humble brag, though.  That last paragraph really sounds like a copy/paste from the brochure.  

I'll let you get back to answering questions of guys here who might be interested in becoming masons. Good luck, sir. 
View Quote
You sound like a very bitter person.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As a Mason, I have heard similar statements before from others that wish to join but don't meet the very few requirements for one reason or another.

From the outside looking in, I can see why you might think that way.

From the inside looking out, I can see why you shouldn't be a Mason.

That's not to say you are not a good person, for I'm sure you are.

The fraternity of Freemasonry is an organization that has existed for nearly 300 years with very minimal changes in its rules or requirements for membership. You are correct -- it is quite outdated, but you are mistaken in the belief that "outdated" means "incorrect".

What you are saying is, that despite the thousands of Masons who have all met the same requirements for membership in the past and present, it should change to accomodate your system of beliefs, or make an exception to its traditions because of your belief in yourself.

That is not how Freemasonry works. Great emphasis is placed on the commonality of belief and experience that each Mason undergoes as they learn the lessons that Freemasonry provides. To say that an exception should be made, or the rules changed for some reason, is to do a disservice to all those Masons that have come before and accepted and met the requirements for membership.

For a person that is not a Mason to say such a thing is, in my mind, a prime example of a person who should not be a Mason.
View Quote
I am a Master Mason (though I am not currently a member of a Lodge, nor current on dues so I suppose those facts may mitigate that somewhat).

I have never been particularly Religious, when I am I lean agnostic to the Pagan/Heathen side of things, I just don't buy a "One True God" thing and I tend not to worry about it much more than that... but when I joined the Lodge back in in the day I was able to honestly say I believed in a higher power, which is what I was asked.

While I could have gone Scottish Rite had I stayed in and chosen to do so (My grandfather was in the SR), I couldn't have done the York Rite because that body EXPLICITLY requires a belief in the Christian God, I had ZERO interest in the Shrine (you need to go through SR or YR before you can become a Shriner).

I got out of it though because I had too many varied interests that required my time and in the grand scheme of things, the Lodge fell by the wayside, when I was involved I was working my way through the chairs (officer positions) though so it was more involved (time commitment wise) than just being a member.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wut? That's funny because the PA Grand Lodge recognizes Prince Hall lodges as regular, most States do (more than don't anyhow)
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Near the Austin area

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What part of Texas?
Near the Austin area

Quoted:

I have an email out to the Lodge you want to join.  I'll see what they say and contact you.

In the meantime, please watch these videos and have a look around this website... Grand Lodge of TX
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
yes scro. youre good people too.

To become a Freemason in Connecticut, you must:
  • Have been a resident of the state for 12 months prior to application.
  • Be an adult male of good character and at least 18 years of age.
  • Be a man who expresses a belief in a Supreme Deity. (We do not accept atheists or agnostics, but beyond that we are not concerned with specific religious beliefs or theological distinctions. )
  • Have not been coerced into joining, but do so of your own free will and accord because you have a favorable impression of the Fraternity.
View Quote
Since Buddhists do not believe in a Supreme Deity it would seem that we would not be eligible either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
iirc only the higher degrees in the YR require a profession of faith. There is NO requirement in the shrine beyond being a MM and apparently that is becoming optional in some states.
View Quote
Used to have to be in SR  to become a Shriner.   Now just MM.

The optional MM requirement for Shrine is news to me.  Pretty sure that was shot down about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had one friend that I discouraged from applying. He is basically a good guy but he wouldn't have made it unfortunately.
If he would have asked, I would have got him an application.
View Quote
Why do you say he wouldn't have made it?

@HELOBRAVO
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
someone mentioned it in the thread running in GD. i know it was on the table.

Not a shriner so i don;t really keep up with it. i do know the SR/YR requirement has been gone for a LONG time. i have been a MM since 2005 and it was old history then.
View Quote
If I recall correctly, the SR/YR requirement to become a Shriner was eliminated in 2000.

Shriners International has a recruiting drive going on now and the wording in the online referral form seems to indicate that a man must still be a Master Mason in order to join the Shrine.

https://webfez.shrinenet.org/referral
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top