Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2017 6:46:23 AM EDT
We initiated a new EA last night for a Past Master's nephew.  His uncle conferred.  There were 13 Past Masters present.  The Senior Deacon was the only non-PM to have a part.  I hadn't been Junior Deacon for a looooooong time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you remember your stuff?  It's been a very long time for me too.  It's always fun to shake things up a bit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, nailed the address.  I almost missed something he shouldn't have had.  But I caught it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
In PA our ritual is different than other states.

JD in PA doesn't do any talking, except in the opening and closing of the Lodge in Ancient Form.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same here.  No part in degrees, unless they are doing an arch with their staffs.  He just opens and closes the lodge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JD in PA doesn't do any talking, except in the opening and closing of the Lodge in Ancient Form.

Same here.  No part in degrees, unless they are doing an arch with their staffs.  He just opens and closes the lodge.
Right.. just takes part in the square, during degrees.

A lot of the times I don't know what these guys are talking about from other states, for instance, the stair lecture or the cyphers... we don't have either in PA.  Our SW doesn't conduct the candidate either, like in other states, but I hear them talking on here about it, but I don't know what that is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our SW doesn't conduct the candidate either, like in other states, but I hear them talking on here about it, but I don't know what that is.
View Quote

Circumambulation
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know what that is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...unless they are doing an arch with their staffs.
View Quote

No clue
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here he prepares and introduces the candidate.

Each of our stations is expected to learn the next chair up.  The various officers are also expected to do certain sections.

JS - Charges
SS - EA Lecture
JD - MM Lecture
SD - FC Lecture
JW - Confers EA
SW - Confers FC
WM - Confers MM
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Each of our stations is expected to learn the next chair up.  The various officers are also expected to do certain sections.

JS - Charges
SS - EA Lecture
JD - MM Lecture
SD - FC Lecture
JW - Confers EA
SW - Confers FC
WM - Confers MM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JS - Charges
SS - EA Lecture
JD - MM Lecture
SD - FC Lecture
JW - Confers EA
SW - Confers FC
WM - Confers MM
The guide prepares the candidate, theres no introductions. then he guides him through the degree.

The acting Master confers the whole degree.  This lecture you speak of, I think we call that a "charge"  and its done by the Master, or whoever he chooses to do it.

In our Lodge, normally the WM doesn't confer all the degrees. We normally do about 4 a month and have guys who like to confer degrees, so they come in and do the conferrals.

More on this later...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Lecture Charts

Entered Apprentice

Fellowcraft

Master Mason

Strairway Lecture
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lecture Charts

Entered Apprentice
Fellowcraft
Master Mason
Strairway Lecture
View Quote
Yeah, well that's not the same as what I'm talking about.  Never seen those bofore.

Also, Ive heard that you guys have to turn in work before or after the degrees... We don't have that.   We are also not asked a bunch of questions.

To advance, all you have to know is your obligation and grips.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Each jurisdiction does things a little differently.  Its one of the things I like to learn about.  Many require a lot more proficiently before you advance than we do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Each jurisdiction does things a little differently.  Its one of the things I like to learn about.  Many require a lot more proficiently before you advance than we do.
View Quote
Yes, I am aware... just learning a little about yours.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Our Senior Steward prepares the candidate, SD conducts.  We have both a lecture and a charge.
View Quote

Both of our Stewards assist in the preparation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No discussion on the stairs during the FC degree?

I just started my second term as Grand Lecturer in Utah.  I have responsibility to publish and distribute the cipher.  I was just doing some reading on when we first adopted it and it wasn't until 1945.  The cipher puts into print form all of our ritual work.  With 1-2 letters replacing each word.  Sometimes it is the first and second letter of the word (T for the) or two letters (TT for that).  GL Code prohibits a cipher being opened while lodge is at work.    

It's impossible to decipher because there is no key.  That "T" could a the, this, then, those, etc.  

Our junior PGM was originally from PA.  I think he told me everything there is still mouth to ear.

I think CO has gone complete clear text for their ritual work and NM issues a copy of the clear text to each WM.  MT gives a copy to each lodge lecturer and GL officer.  I have the only traveling copy for UT.  There are a few in the safe but technically they can't be removed without me being there.  Not really practical given the geographic distances here.  I also can't be at every degree practice/meeting with a copy of the clear text for reference.  The result, a hodgepodge of ritual around the state.
View Quote

Each District Lecturer has a copy of the "Pure Work".
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the times I don't know what these guys are talking about from other states, for instance, the stair lecture or the cyphers... we don't have either in PA.  Our SW doesn't conduct the candidate either, like in other states, but I hear them talking on here about it, but I don't know what that is.

Nope... Never heard of that till I joined this forum.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If we have enough guys our Stewards will form an arch with their staffs over the WM while he is obligating.  If they're not around, it may fall to the SD/JD, or not at all.  Very little of our floor work is set down in the Standard Work so each lodge develops their own traditions with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue

If we have enough guys our Stewards will form an arch with their staffs over the WM while he is obligating.  If they're not around, it may fall to the SD/JD, or not at all.  Very little of our floor work is set down in the Standard Work so each lodge develops their own traditions with that.
That's not what I'm talking about.
during the first degree the officers make a square. before the candidate is brought to light the SD and JD cross their staffs over the Bible and the other two appointed officers cross their swords just under that.  I don't really want to get into too much detail.... we have profanes that read this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Our SD conducts candidates during the degrees.
View Quote

I think there's a real bond between you and the Brother that was your Senior Deacon in your degrees.  Especially if something unusual occurs.  Like during my EA when I was placed at the alter and it rolled away.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Had a guy rip his pants when he keeled.. split right up the seam. 

1 dude barfed .. 2 guys fainted all during obligations. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now that would be funny.

I remember a SD fumbling with his staff and it whacking the candidate on the head.  I've heard some very interesting "misspeaks" during the obligations that it was really hard not to laugh at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there's a real bond between you and the Brother that was your Senior Deacon in your degrees.  Especially if something unusual occurs.  Like during my EA when I was placed at the alter and it rolled away.

Now that would be funny.

I remember a SD fumbling with his staff and it whacking the candidate on the head.  I've heard some very interesting "misspeaks" during the obligations that it was really hard not to laugh at.

The first MM I conferred, I used the word "permit" at a point when it was totally inappropriate.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To advance, all you have to know is your obligation and grips.
View Quote

Here in Texas we are tested on 80-ish questions in the EA, 40 in FC and 34 in MM.
ETA: Everything is Mouth to Ear. You cannot have a cipher until you are raised.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yep, nailed the address.  I almost missed something he shouldn't have had.  But I caught it.
View Quote

If it is what I think it is, Dad almost backed out of the whole deal over that. He wasn't taking it off. They just taped over it and made him promise not to take it off. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
It was somewhere not readily visible.  Until the SD did something.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Both of our Stewards assist in the preparation.
View Quote
Our Stewards only prepare the meals.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i am at a complete loss as to how the FC degree can be complete without the stair lecture. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i am at a complete loss as to how the FC degree can be complete without the stair lecture. 
As am I.  How does the significance of those numbers get conveyed?  

I gotta see it done!

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
that is the jr wardens job here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's weird how much varies from GL to GL
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JW, as per his duties, oversees that meals are done.  But the Stewards do the work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I was just entered 2 weeks ago. There was nothing at the lodge that fit so I had to make due with what I wore bottom wise. My back started going into spasms during the Obligation and I almost fell over.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was just entered 2 weeks ago. There was nothing at the lodge that fit so I had to make due with what I wore bottom wise. My back started going into spasms during the Obligation and I almost fell over.
View Quote
That's OK Brother. Welcome to the Brotherhood.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you Brother. Learning the catechism is proving difficult. Usually I tackle memorization by copying things over and over but of course I can't do that. We just went dark, so hopefully I should be able to have everything squared away by the time we open in Sept.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thank you Brother. Learning the catechism is proving difficult. Usually I tackle memorization by copying things over and over but of course I can't do that. We just went dark, so hopefully I should be able to have everything squared away by the time we open in Sept.
View Quote
some guys get nervous and theres nothing to be nervous about.  ive seen guys faint and one guy even threw up. afterwards they admitted there was nothing to get worked up about.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
some guys get nervous and theres nothing to be nervous about.  ive seen guys faint and one guy even threw up. afterwards they admitted there was nothing to get worked up about.
View Quote
Oh. I am not nervous, and won't be nervous when I stand proficient. I am just very critical of myself.

They were telling me about guys getting nervous and passing out while being conducted. The only things that went through my head was a few thoughts of stubbing my toe on the altar or something and then thoughts of all the people who did the same thing all the way back to the begining of Freemasonry. While I was taking the Obligation at the altar, I was thinking "Yes. I promise, swear, and whatever else you need me to do. Just get to the end so I can stretch." I was in PAIN!
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh. I am not nervous, and won't be nervous when I stand proficient. I am just very critical of myself.

They were telling me about guys getting nervous and passing out while being conducted. The only things that went through my head was a few thoughts of stubbing my toe on the altar or something and then thoughts of all the people who did the same thing all the way back to the begining of Freemasonry. While I was taking the Obligation at the altar, I was thinking "Yes. I promise, swear, and whatever else you need me to do. Just get to the end so I can stretch." I was in PAIN!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nobody wants you to be in pain.  next time, ask for a chair, even if its the middle of it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
nobody wants you to be in pain.  next time, ask for a chair, even if its the middle of it.
View Quote
It was important to me to "do it right"
It was well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
This has been interesting learning the differences between each Grand Jurisdiction. Makes me want to travel to some other lodges.

Curious, why do you go dark for that period of time? Is this a common thing in other Jurisdictions?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
going dark was common in farming areas as the lodges agreed not to meet until the summer crops were harvested in the fall. now it is mostly still tradition.
View Quote
also it gives the officers a nice break.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
going dark was common in farming areas as the lodges agreed not to meet until the summer crops were harvested in the fall. now it is mostly still tradition.
View Quote
Well that makes perfect sense. Love those traditions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top