Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2017 2:48:49 PM EDT
So... the wife and I were in Walmart the other night and I was wearing a Masonic shirt. A patron came up to me and said that since I was a Mason she felt comfortable with asking me to help her pay for some items...

has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

how did you handle it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So... the wife and I were in Walmart the other night and I was wearing a Masonic shirt. A patron came up to me and said that since I was a Mason she felt comfortable with asking me to help her pay for some items...

has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

how did you handle it?
View Quote

I've never had that one happen.  I suppose it would depend on how it all seemed, what the items were and obviously the price.

It's easy to get scammed.  But there's always the chance of being legit.  I guess I'd probably rather be suckered.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I'm positive I was shook down. But what she asked for cost less that a case of beer (and I drink cheap beer) and they were 'need' items and not 'want' items. I also paid for them and gave them to her, I did not give her the cash.

If she was going to go through the hassle of returning them the next day, then her hassle far outweighed the cost.

In the end, I'd rather take the hit than think that my cynicism left someone in need wanting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on you Ceddie.   Many people think the Masons are rich guys. Im sure she had no idea that our charities are a lodge or state level thing.

My BIL asked me a few months ago if my Lodge would pay for his daughters portion of the dues for some sport she wanted to play to the tune of $650.   Um, no.  The man has never been interested in Masonry before, not even when I gave him all the info to join, where he lives a few years ago.

All I said to him was, "well if you had joined Lodge years ago, I'm sure you could have organized a spaghetti dinner and used the lodge facilities." 
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I struggle with this.  I finally came to the conclusion that my obligation and the charity lecture are correct. It's my job to be as charitable as my present position permits it's up to the recipient to do the right thing with it. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top