Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/22/2011 11:48:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 9:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]

That's a good one, Brother.  Posted that on my FB page.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]

We added that to our Lodges FB page as well.

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Covertness] [#5]
edited to remove my dumb question.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
ive been interested for a while i have a guy at my job that is a freemason , what kind of person would join and why ?i find the history of freemasons really interesting
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
Originally Posted By Jason631:
ive been interested for a while i have a guy at my job that is a freemason , what kind of person would join and why ?i find the history of freemasons really interesting

we come from all walks of life and join for various reasons. that's a really hard question to answer.

Understandable but why would someone join if they don't know what it is all about , join to be a better person ? Join to understand things ? I always feel like talking to my co-worker about this but me and him are always pretty busy at work
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 7:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WVHunter1s1k] [#10]

we come from all walks of life and join for various reasons. that's a really hard question to answer.

Understandable but why would someone join if they don't know what it is all about , join to be a better person ? Join to understand things ? I always feel like talking to my co-worker about this but me and him are always pretty busy at work

lodges are about brotherhood and fellowship. masonry is about growing yourself and learning to be a better person and member of society. there is a bit more but that is the basics. masonry is not the rotary or elks club, it's a lifetime commitment to be there to support your brothers no matter what. it's not for everyone, but it's one of the best things i have done.

Same here!
So mote it be! AMEN brother!!!

A worldwide brotherhood!
It also teaches valuable lessons in life.

PS The video is now marked 'Private'.
So, I can't see it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
This may help those curious better understand Freemasonry. It also helps to answer the question, "What do Masons do?".

Because I am a Freemason ….

… I believe that freedom of religion is an inalienable human right and tolerance an indispensable trait of human character. Therefore, I will stand in my lodge with Brothers of all faiths, and respect their belief, as they respect mine, and I will demonstrate the spirit of Brotherhood in all aspects of my life.

… I know that education and the rational use of the mind are the keys to facing the problems of humanity. Therefore, I will bring my questions and ideas to my lodge, and strive to advance the growth of my mind alongside my Brothers.

… I know that the rich tradition of Freemasonry and its framework of ritual are important platforms for growth and learning. Therefore, I vow to stand upon these platforms to improve myself as a human being, and I vow to help in the mission of the Craft to provide tools, atmosphere, challenges and motivation to help each Brother do the same.

… I know that charity is the distinguishing human virtue, and that personal community service is the best demonstration of one’s commitment to humanity. I acknowledge that words without deeds are meaningless, and I vow to work with my Lodge to provide service to the community, and to promote charity, friendship, morality, harmony, integrity, fidelity and love.

… I know that my obligation to community extends beyond my local sphere and is partially fulfilled in my patriotism- love of my country, obedience to its laws and celebration of the freedoms and opportunities it symbolizes.

… I know that leadership is best demonstrated by commitment to serving others. I will therefore participate in, and help work at improving individual leadership skills, while serving the Brothers of my lodge to the best of my ability.

… I know that friendship, fidelity and family are the foundations of a well-lived life. I therefore vow to be a faithful friend to my Brothers, while expecting my lodge to respect my personal obligations, and to treat family as though my family were their own.

… I know that the last great lesson of Freemasonry – the value of personal integrity and the sanctity of one’s word – is a lesson for all people in all times. I therefore vow to be a man of my word.

… I know that Freemasonry’s power is best exercised when its Light is shared with the world at large. I therefore vow to bring the best of myself to my lodge, in order that my growth might be fostered and nurtured, and to present myself to the world as a working Freemason, on the path to building a more perfect temple.

Because I am a Freemason, these values and aspirations are the guideposts for my progress through life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Been trying to join forever, havent been in a place for more than 6 months till recently. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. :)
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GEEKAY79:
Been trying to join forever, havent been in a place for more than 6 months till recently. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. :)

Arizona Lodge Locator
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I find it interesting that the "approved" faiths for Masonry (is that correct?) are so broad. I have a question, though- Agnosticism is not allowed? I mean, it's not a definite belief in a higher/supreme power, but it's not the denial of such a power, either.

What I'm getting from some of these questions/answers is that Freemasons are more about brotherhood and community than they are about faith, and in that line of thinking I'm interested in what the response will be. Always found Masonry to be interesting, but never seriously attempted to try it since I don't think I would qualify on the religion thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I've kicked this around for a several years, recent events in my life, and society in general have helped me decide now is the right time to join.
The local lodge meets next Tuesday at 1930. I do not know any masons in the local lodge, but have a friend who is a member in a different lodge. Would it be best to just show up at my local lodge, call first, or meet with my friend and seek membership through him? I would prefer to work with people local to me, and minimize travel. I'm not sure how active my friend is in his lodge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Woodsrider:
I've kicked this around for a several years, recent events in my life, and society in general have helped me decide now is the right time to join.
The local lodge meets next Tuesday at 1930. I do not know any masons in the local lodge, but have a friend who is a member in a different lodge. Would it be best to just show up at my local lodge, call first, or meet with my friend and seek membership through him? I would prefer to work with people local to me, and minimize travel. I'm not sure how active my friend is in his lodge.

What I did was contact the lodge through their website & requested a petition.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By enigma1:
Originally Posted By Woodsrider:

What I did was contact the lodge through their website & requested a petition.

Our lodge doesn't have a website. Not even a FB page.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I did it. I showed up with my petition filled out on Tuesday night. There were very few folks there and all were older than me. I was welcomed in and they answered the few questions I had before sending me home to wait for a phone call to meet with the investigating committee. Being the holidays, and that they said they have had 6 other petitions this month, I don't expect to hear from anyone before the first of the year.
Two of the references on my petition are MM from another lodge, one of which wants to change lodges if my petition is accepted.

Now I wait...
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats, may this be the 1st. of many steps in your journey.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Meeting tomorrow night with the investigating committee. I'm anxious to get this ball rolling.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Understood. Like I said earlier, there were a few others that petitioned the lodge last month besides me. I'm sure they have their hands full right now, and the next lodge meeting is the 22nd. I'm guessing they are trying to get through as many of the investigations as possible before the meeting. I don't expect my petition to be voted on until next month.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#28]
February 2nd, myself and 4 others (whom I've never met) are beginning our journey. I'm told that it's a big deal to have this many petitions at once, and the lodge is planning for a rather big deal, with people coming in from all over the district.
While I still don't know what to expect, and my MM friends will not clue me, I feel that there is no better time to be surrounding myself with like minded people.
I'm excited. My suit is cleaned, and upon the advice of others, I have clean underwear set aside

Seriously though, over the past 5 years I have felt a calling, for lack of better words. I know it sounds dorky, but something has been drawing me to this point, and the only thing I can pin it to is moral values and patriotism.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
What about the financial end of things? Are Dues  pretty reasonable?  Do you have to pay every time you get a new degree?
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 1:18:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#31]
What has membership been like? Do you find your ranks growing, remaining stable or dropping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Let's remember there's also Order of the Eastern Star (OES) recognized as widely as the Scottish and York Rites, in which female family members of Masons are allowed to become a part of Freemasonry. Like the Rites, I believe male members of OES must start off in the Blue Lodge.

Freemasonry is not a cult and it's not Mensa. It's just a bunch of normal people getting together to form a network of support through old fashioned American values. Their ambiance varies from Lodge to Lodge, town to town; if you don't feel at home in one, there's a good chance you may feel very comfortable in another. Some require formal attire and some don't.

If you're one of those crazy people believing "they" run the world from seats of poignant evil or are synonymous with "Illuminati", you will be greatly disappointed. It may be a fit if you want to be in a fraternity, but the esoteric side is not the glamourous mystery portrayed on TV and you won't become a charged as empowered ruler of the masses, but rather, you'd become part OF the masses.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm surprised that some of the religious texts approved are from religions which don't have a diety.
As an atheist, but a follower of the Dalai Lama and much of Confucianism- it's too bad I am missing out... I feel a fraternity like this is exactly what is lacking in my life.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Skrutinizr:
I'm surprised that some of the religious texts approved are from religions which don't have a diety.
As an atheist, but a follower of the Dalai Lama and much of Confucianism- it's too bad I am missing out... I feel a fraternity like this is exactly what is lacking in my life.

that is one thing that has surprised me as well.

Would you say that someone who doesn't believe in a diety, but is spiritual in nature and studied in the ways of religion would still be unable to meet the requirement? I believe that sprituality is a "higher power" but don't believe it manifests in a diety or am I splitting hairs?
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:48:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#39]
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I am being raise to Entered Apprentice Monday, 05/13/2013 in the Gardendale, AL Lodge. Thanks to The Beer Slayer and BCauzy!
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#42]
"Raised".
Thanks!  I look forward to being a brother.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks. Much to learn.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I was passed to fellow craft on 06/24/2013. I am scheduled to return the lesson on 07/23/2013.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Snuffy2202:
I was passed to fellow craft on 06/24/2013. I am scheduled to return the lesson on 07/23/2013.

brother i know your excited but i urge you to slow down and study what your being taught. you are missing a lot. memory work does not make you a mason.

There seems to be a pattern in my lodge to hurry people through the degrees. I was passed to FC within a month of EA, and got a sign of disgust from my coach because I wasn't ready to take my FC degree before the lodge went dark for the summer months. I would have had to have everything learned in 6 weeks to make that, including a week that I was in Japan on business.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I have been interested in becoming a Mason for a long time. Currently I am planning to relocate in 6 months to a year. Would I be better off waiting until I relocate to Florida, or would I still benefit by doing a petition here in SC?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top