Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:14:48 AM EDT
What are zombies, fast or slow?? Resident Evil geriatric walkers or Olympic sprinters that will get to you no matter what? Problem solving skills? Stupid? Capable of using weapons? Or are they somewhere in between??
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What are zombies, fast or slow?? Resident Evil geriatric walkers or Olympic sprinters that will get to you no matter what? Problem solving skills? Stupid? Capable of using weapons? Or are they somewhere in between??

No.  How can there be consensus on a fictional creature portrayed a thousand different ways?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  How can there be consensus on a fictional creature portrayed a thousand different ways?

No idea. Hence, the question...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
zombie survival guide
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Fresh Zombie pie. Here, hold mah beer fur a sec, wouldya? Now watch this!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that nobody has ever seen a zombie could mean that they don't exist, but it could also mean that nobody has survived an encounter.  That's your call; underestimate them at your own peril.

From everything I've seen, zeds aren't too bright, but they can perform rudimentary tasks, and they'd prefer to crash through a door than open it.  They're probably not very much smarter than Joe Biden, but they can still cause a significant amount of damage.

Again, don't understimate them and don't trust them!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
One can only hope that when the day comes AND IT WILL that zombies are like those in the survival guide with no ability to run or jump climb things like that. Cause if its Left 4 Dead style we are fucked
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I just hope they can't problem solve. I always picture zombies like in dawn of the dead (new one).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The way I have seen it for a long time is a zombie = slow moving, moaning creature after brains and you can pretty much walk fastly by them.

I consider the fast moving, jumping, climbing creatures as "Ragers"  

2 Very different species.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The way I have seen it for a long time is a zombie = slow moving, moaning creature after brains and you can pretty much walk fastly by them.

Or like in Nazi zombies, as you go up in level they get faster. haha
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, that's just what we need: Nazi zombies with MG-42s and STG-44s.  They probably have Tiger tanks, too.  Just my luck...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope its early zeds. If its like Rage zeds we are screwed.

Are the infected from the new crazies considered zombies? They could be the worst. They were teaming up. Scary.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, that's just what we need: Nazi zombies with MG-42s and STG-44s.  They probably have Tiger tanks, too.  Just my luck...

haha, they don't use the guns, not that smart. Then we would be really fuck tho if they did.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
the "we're Alive" podcast has them more as ragers, with some being smarter than the others... though it seems the population of zombies as alot lighter than your normal outbreak
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#15]
As long as they don't show up like in "Dusk to Dawn," you know, the part where the strippers turn to vampires (not really zombies, but same general scenario I think), I'll be able to identify and dispatch.  Salma Hayek type shows up, write me off.... I'm toast.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Ragers are generally still (at least bio-biometricly) alive.  Run, (very)basic problem solving (work a door knob), and jump to the extent that their body could before.  They usually don't retain their coordination skills as before they were infected.  Although there are exceptions to this rule.

Ragers can be put down with a critical shot to the body however will still require a head shot to keep from reanimating.

Shamblers and Sprinters are reanimated bodies that require head shots.  

My .02

-Arbiter
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I think in terms of an animal with rabies.

I really don't believe in the rise form the dead scenario, but a form of mutated human symptomatic viral rabies without vaccine available that is transmitted by blood/body fluids (28 days later if you will) is a more plausible scenario, though the rate of infection is a bit much in that movie. I would say at least 48-72 hours before serious rage symptoms would appear after infection, based on a figment of real world virology.

So pretty much the behaviour a rabid primate would display is what I would expect.

Runs fast/high strength, but not more than endorphins would allow. Reasoning limited and governed primarily by rage and aggressiveness, but able to drink and eat in a limited way in order to stay alive.

Normal wounds would cause permanent death, in other words a heart shot with a .458 SOCOM at 50 yards is going to drop them like another large animal.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think in terms of an animal with rabies.

I really don't believe in the rise form the dead scenario, but a form of mutated human symptomatic viral rabies without vaccine available that is transmitted by blood/body fluids (28 days later if you will) is a more plausible scenario, though the rate of infection is a bit much in that movie. I would say at least 48-72 hours before serious rage symptoms would appear after infection, based on a figment of real world virology.

So pretty much the behaviour a rabid primate would display is what I would expect.

Runs fast/high strength, but not more than endorphins would allow. Reasoning limited and governed primarily by rage and aggressiveness, but able to drink and eat in a limited way in order to stay alive.

Normal wounds would cause permanent death, in other words a heart shot with a .458 SOCOM at 50 yards is going to drop them like another large animal.

As far as a "realistic" scenario,this sums it up for me, but I can always hope for shambler type zombies.Plan for the worst and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife found this...  Not sure if it has been posted before and if applicable :)

From:  http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/infographic-dangerous-zombies.html

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/mo/zombie_infographic_1024.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The fact that nobody has ever seen a zombie could mean that they don't exist, but it could also mean that nobody has survived an encounter.  That's your call; underestimate them at your own peril.

From everything I've seen, zeds aren't too bright, but they can perform rudimentary tasks, and they'd prefer to crash through a door than open it.  They're probably not very much smarter than Joe Biden, but they can still cause a significant amount of damage.

Again, don't understimate them and don't trust them!

This
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My wife found this...  Not sure if it has been posted before and if applicable :)

From:  http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/infographic-dangerous-zombies.html

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/mo/zombie_infographic_1024.jpg

That looks like a very good chart.  Thanks.

I'm sure that it would be very helpful, but I'm not sure that I should have a copy.  With my luck, I'd be so busy trying to read the chart and figure out what type of zombies are attacking that I wouldn't notice that they have me surrounded.  I'd be so distracted that even the slow/dumb zombies would have a nice, juicy lunch at my expense.

Still, even though we have the best chance against the slow/dumb zed, such as those from the classic, NOLD, it should be remembered that nobody in that house survived.  If you look at the more capable zeds from Day of the Dead (slow/smart), you pretty much need an underground shelter and a helicopter.  But even then you probably won't survive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]
if and when it gose down it will most likely be from a wide spred infection in fection takes a toll on the body in several ways and one is it affects the brain motor functions will be affected as well as muscles will be broken down so i would say that theay will dot be running of doing any jumping
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]
An infection that causes loss of life would usually lead to severe dehydration. Dehydration can reduce muscle strength by 30% or more depending on severity. Add in blood loss, and the muscles just aren't getting the energy they need for serious activity. I'm planning on shambler type zombies. In the even that some super natural force was animating them, well, I'd do my best....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top