User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2017 6:11:26 PM EDT
Breaking Florida Supreme Court rules 4-2 in favor of Open Carry Ban

Florida Supreme Court upholds general open-carry ban

Supreme Court upholds ban on open-carry of guns

Florida Justices Refuse To Target Open Carry Ban

Justices uphold ban on openly carrying guns

Well it appears Floridians will not be getting open carry anytime soon. Between the Florida Republican party continuously blocking open carry bills in the House and Senate, the upcoming election for the governor which more than likely go Democrat, and now this..... we're fucked.

I'm worn out and tired of the lobbying and politicking I've done this year so far. I will give it my best this legislative session, but if nothing happens this year I am done with the Florida Republican party and will do everything in my power to change them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
This blows. And not just for our FL guys, the antis will look at this as a win
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This blows. And not just for our FL guys, the antis will look at this as a win
View Quote
Yup....
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, anyone interested in keeping guns legal should look at this as a win.  OC is just about the stupidest thing ever devised from both a tactical and a publicity standpoint.

Just sayin...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Personally, anyone interested in keeping guns legal should look at this as a win.  OC is just about the stupidest thing ever devised from both a tactical and a publicity standpoint.

Just sayin...
View Quote
Just because you feel uncomfortable does not mean it is stupid

Open carry is great.
In MO I did it all the time and never had a problem.

I wish it would be legal in FL
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just sayin...
View Quote
You are "just sayin".  Your opinion.  You are entitled to it.  While I do not OC in NV, I like that I have the ability to do so if I wish.  More freedom > less freedom.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just sayin...
View Quote
Doesn't make me uncomfortable in the least.  I grew up around guns, used to carry one for a living.

My problem with the entire thing is that "open carry" and the "activists" that come along with it are exactly the wrong people you want representing the shooting community.  Some douche-nozzle that feels like they need to stroll through Toys-r-us with a thigh rig on is doing far more to turn people away from the cause of personal firearms rights than to sway people to support.

And lets be honest...  As a former Marine grunt, if I were casing a place with some sort of nefarious purposes that involved shooting someone an "open carry" special snowflake wouldn't dissuade me in the least.  That gomer gave up their best tactical advantage by advertising that they've brought my backup piece along to the party.  They'd become my first victim.

OC is stupid on so many levels I won't even begin to go into it.

Keeping a low profile is your best friend in life.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm over our politiions here.  I tried talking to Ross Spano a few years ago.  He is spineless.  
And just recently tried Tom Lee's office about a road striping issue.  According to his secretary Charlie, my little passing lane is not worth his time.  Apparently the state has money to restripe roads for new developments, but 15 (seriously 15) years after the development has gone under (will never go in due to environmental issues) they cannot re stripe the road back the way it was.  In the middle of nowhere there is a passing lane to nothing, but if you pass in that area good luck fighting the citation. No I have not passed there.  It is a principle thing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree on both sides of this opinion...I do carry every day CC.
I'm not sure I want to openly carry my primary weapon on my hip or wherever, but I do NOT want to be charged with a crime if I
extend my arms upward revealing my appendix carry primary weapon.
I do believe that the gun owner should have the choice to open carry if they choose.
Back in the late 80's early 90's the law lapsed here in Florida.
Everyone in Marion County where I live was walking around with big revolvers &  semi auto's around in the grocery store, park...wherever THEY chose.
My wife ,whom does not like to carry told me she never felt safer when she was out shopping or bumming around.
The NRA is basically a useless organization anymore, only really promoting their internal agenda.
They do not care about the little guys...hell they don't even comment on half the proposed laws & left wing agenda they should oppose!
It's Truthaboutguns,BearingArms & other little guys like OP that really do the work & try to keep everyone abreast of BS going down.
It is us Florida citizens that have to raise Cain to our elected Bum's to emphasize what WE want. Not the gun grabbing lib's!
Thanks to OP for all his hard work!
We ALL have to write letters & make calls to voice our opinions to protect OUR 2A rights.
Again , my opinion
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree on both sides of this opinion...I do carry every day CC.
I'm not sure I want to openly carry my primary weapon on my hip or wherever, but I do NOT want to be charged with a crime if I
extend my arms upward revealing my appendix carry primary weapon.
I do believe that the gun owner should have the choice to open carry if they choose.
Back in the late 80's early 90's the law lapsed here in Florida.
Everyone in Marion County where I live was walking around with big revolvers &  semi auto's around in the grocery store, park...wherever THEY chose.
My wife ,whom does not like to carry told me she never felt safer when she was out shopping or bumming around.
The NRA is basically a useless organization anymore, only really promoting their internal agenda.
They do not care about the little guys...hell they don't even comment on half the proposed laws & left wing agenda they plan to oppose!
It's Truthaboutguns,BearingArms & other little guys like OP that really do the work & try to keep everyone abreast of BS going down.
It is us Florida citizens that have to raise Cain to our elected Bum's to emphasize what WE want. Not the gun grabbing lib's!
Thanks to OP for all his hard work!
We ALL have to write letters & make calls to voice our opinions to protect OUR 2A rights.
Again , my opinion
View Quote
I bolded the part of your statement that's part of the problem...

It's really not a "liberal vs. conservative" problem.  It's an "urban vs. rural" problem.  

People in rural areas typically associate guns with hunting and ranching and whatnot and see them as tools.  People in urban areas associate guns with random gang/police violence or home invasions and as such, see them as something they want no part of.  

This is why the OC issue is hurting the pro-gun part of the culture war.  People who don't like guns already vote, and when they see some yahoo packing a .44 mag on his hip in the McDonalds or at the playground their kid is playing at they get up and leave.  I don't blame them.  I want nothing to do with someone I know nothing about having a firearm in public around my child.

Food for thought...  Look up the federal legislation that's on the books currently going back to the NFA and see who actually sponsored / voted for it / signed it into law.  

It's not liberals.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I bolded the part of your statement that's part of the problem...

It's really not a "liberal vs. conservative" problem.  It's an "urban vs. rural" problem.  

People in rural areas typically associate guns with hunting and ranching and whatnot and see them as tools.  People in urban areas associate guns with random gang/police violence or home invasions and as such, see them as something they want no part of.  

This is why the OC issue is hurting the pro-gun part of the culture war.  People who don't like guns already vote, and when they see some yahoo packing a .44 mag on his hip in the McDonalds or at the playground their kid is playing at they get up and leave.  I don't blame them.  I want nothing to do with someone I know nothing about having a firearm in public around my child.

Food for thought...  Look up the federal legislation that's on the books currently going back to the NFA and see who actually sponsored / voted for it / signed it into law.  

It's not liberals.
View Quote
I grew up in Miami during the Cocaine Wars. I support people having the choice of open carry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I grew up in Miami during the Cocaine Wars. I support people having the choice of open carry.
View Quote
I don't think people should be penalized because their shirt comes un-tucked but...

Regardless of what the legal status is of the whole OC deal is, I think people be-bopping around the Mall with a thigh rig on or strutting around with an AR-15 and a chest rig at the local park are doing way more to hurt the cause of sensible gun image than they are to help it.

There's zero tactical reason to OC for personal protection.  When I'm out in the boonies I don't give a damn, but then neither do the BLM guys.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think people should be penalized because their shirt comes un-tucked but...

Regardless of what the legal status is of the whole OC deal is, I think people be-bopping around the Mall with a thigh rig on or strutting around with an AR-15 and a chest rig at the local park are doing way more to hurt the cause of sensible gun image than they are to help it.

There's zero tactical reason to OC for personal protection.  When I'm out in the boonies I don't give a damn, but then neither do the BLM guys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freedom and Liberty has nothing to do with tactics. 

If open carry were legal in FL I'd be doing it once every blue moon. But that doesn't matter. 

What does matter is you can either live in a free and open society were some folks might say, dress, or do things that 'offend/anger/confuse' you or you can live in a secure and closed society with no freedom of choice and opinion. 

The 2nd Amendment isn't just about self defense, or hunting, or punching holes in paper. It is about freedom and liberty. Nothing more and nothing less. If a law abiding citizen wants to open carry a hog leg fine. No different than a law abiding citizen wanting to wear purple hair, a skirt, and loafers. Both might be looked at oddly but if they're doing their own thing and not bothering anyone then what is the problem?

The Constitution and Civil Rights aren't about 'feelz'
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh but it is...

Laws are built on perception.

Perception is reality.

You might not like it but it's the truth.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, or right or wrong.  I'm saying it's the way it is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh but it is...

Laws are built on perception.

Perception is reality.

You might not like it but it's the truth.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, or right or wrong.  I'm saying it's the way it is.
View Quote
45 States have Open Carry. I don't see blood running in the streets or criminals openly targeting and snatching guns right out of Offers holsters. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely...  Mine's one of them.

I was just pointing out that if you're going to get up in arms about an issue possibly a different issue would be a better one to go for.  

I still believe OC does more harm than good and will continue to do so.

Concealed carry all day, although I've let my permit lapse and probably won't even bother to renew it.  Actually, I probably will if I can ever find the time to take off from work to go jump through the cheesy hoops to do so.

Hilarious that I've got a security clearance that took the FBI several months to complete but the local Sheriff's dept. still makes me do their fingerprint/basic background check every 4 years.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My problem with the entire thing is that "open carry" and the "activists" that come along with it are exactly the wrong people you want representing the shooting community.  Some douche-nozzle that feels like they need to stroll through Toys-r-us with a thigh rig on is doing far more to turn people away from the cause of personal firearms rights than to sway people to support.
View Quote
Disagree with nearly the entire rest of your post, but wanted to give you a "This" for this part.

If Texas is any indication, though, this is precisely what Floridians are now inviting in their state.

If the adults in the room abandon this cause, the other people in the room will pick it up.

I tried to get our NRA state affiliate interested in OC waaaay before it was popular (probably circa 2003)... absolutely zero interest.

They left that space wide-open, and guess who came into it?    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top