BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got my order yesterday from them! Was packed really fucking nice with a bunch of dry ice. Feeding day is this weekend.

I sorted through about 25 of the 50 mice we ordered. Nice weight range/sizes. Ranging from 19 grams up to about 29 grams. Currently we are feeding our snake on the smaller end, so this pack of mice should be great. I can step up the food size easily down the road.

I thought I ordered white mice but ended up receiving black mice. Not sure if that’s normal to get different colored mice or not but shouldn’t matter I don’t think. Just didn’t expect that. Anyone know?
View Quote

I've never experienced it, but I have heard stories of once snakes have darker mice they prefer them and won't go back to the white ones.  No first hand experience with it.  @Bubbles, any experience with this phenomenon?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My snakes don't discriminate based on color, though it's been known to happen.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
He’s still young and we pushed this upcoming feeding out to 10 days from the last, so he should be a little hungrier maybe lol.
So far we have had zero problems. He eats like a boss. I will know tomorrow night because it’s feeding time. I’ll let you guys know how it goes
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
He took the black mouse no problem.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well... I thawed out more rotten rats... So I put an order in from big cheese. They has small rats in stock and I've had good luck with them in the past.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
As active as they are it's damned difficult to get a good picture of a retic using a film camera, but DH finally managed it last week.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
As usual, nice pic!
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Little indigo just devoured four "hopper" mice today (although I think I'd probably really call them "last phase fuzzies").  Dude is finally being very aggressive in his feeding response like I've always heard Drymarchos should be.  I think next week I'll try him on a single fuzzy rat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Uhhh.  He's finally big enough that I'm getting what another poster said before about Drymarchon poop being seriously gross.  Lol! But I find it cool that he only goes at one end of the terrarium.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My Boaboi is doing badass! This pic is from a few days ago. He’s growing. He will be 5 months old on the 20th.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uhhh.  He's finally big enough that I'm getting what another poster said before about Drymarchon poop being seriously gross.  Lol! But I find it cool that he only goes at one end of the terrarium.
View Quote

Ah yes life is very good when they deposit their waste in a neat pile in a corner, leaving the rest of the enclosure clean.

As a note, retics are known for the exact opposite.  Usually they go in their water bowls and the flip it, flooding the enclosure with poop soup.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ah yes life is very good when they deposit their waste in a neat pile in a corner, leaving the rest of the enclosure clean.

As a note, retics are known for the exact opposite.  Usually they go in their water bowls and the flip it, flooding the enclosure with poop soup.
View Quote

I have to say that pythons make me think of giant rat snakes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My Boaboi is doing badass! This pic is from a few days ago. He’s growing. He will be 5 months old on the 20th.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/005BC81F-F4F1-4B55-BD0C-81E63B7C32D0_jpe-1493597.JPG
View Quote

Not gonna lie, your little guy makes me want to get back into Boas.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Do it...get one. This is my first and only snake so I don’t have a lot to compare to but he’s fuckin badass. Because he is my only snake he gets a lot of socializing, that might be why he is so tame.

He has a spot he likes to sit and watch outside his tank all day/night. I know he is watching bc I can see him following me with his eyes/head.
This is his what he does for hours and hours lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#15]
We also made this cool climbing tree for him. He seems to love it. Was a kinda fun weekend project to make.

ETA- not sure why pic is sideways
Attachment Attached File

PVC tubing. I did a base layer of textured spray paint for grip for him then sprayed over with some greens and browns and tans(I had most of these on hand from doing camo stuff in the past lol) and then my GF wrapped it with some fake leafy vines and we tied a reptile hammock in the bottom cube.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My bullsnakes are the same way. Out of all the snakes I've owned they have the worst smelling poop. But if you really want to see some seriously gross crap feed him some fish.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My bullsnakes are the same way. Out of all the snakes I've owned they have the worst smelling poop. But if you really want to see some seriously gross crap feed him some fish.
View Quote

Lol!  I think I'm going to pass on that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I was married to my ex I had a step son.  I thought "what did I like to do with my Dad when I was his age?"  I liked doing snake stuff with my Dad.  So I got him a corn snake, and I got a tiny little hatchling beauty snake shipped to me.  Showed up in a little sack inside a cardboard box. The ex never really liked it.  When my marriage started to fail she knew I'd do anything to keep working on things.  She told me to get rid of our snakes.

I took them to the Phoenix Herpetological Society.  Fast forward a year later: I'm divorced and in my own house.  I wondered if they still had him.  I knew it was a long shot, but I called and asked.  They did!  I had to pay $25 for every month that they had him.  I wrote the check out with a quickness.  Took care of him for ten more years before he passed.
View Quote

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That sounds like one hell of a collection!  I just have the two Everglades rat snakes for now.  I'm holding out for an Eastern Indigo.....hopefully one day.
View Quote

I learn something new every day. I thought those were illegal to keep.

I love that you're willing to feed him another snake.  Indigo is like the pitbull of snakes, but without the baby killing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do it...get one. This is my first and only snake so I don’t have a lot to compare to but he’s fuckin badass. Because he is my only snake he gets a lot of socializing, that might be why he is so tame.

He has a spot he likes to sit and watch outside his tank all day/night. I know he is watching bc I can see him following me with his eyes/head.
This is his what he does for hours and hours lol
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/F735B2A2-94C7-4229-8F9D-C29F2083390A_jpe-1497041.JPG
View Quote

That's a beautiful habitat.  Looks like a bitch to clean, though.  Luckily we don't have to clean more than once a month or so.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#22]
My year old Pastel, Hypo, Jungle Boa in his bioactive enclosure (living plants and isopod clean up crews) I made for him.

He is 4 feet long and about 850 grams or so. He is on a 15+ day feeding schedule.

And here is a look at the whole enclosure 96" X 24" x 24"

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My year old Pastel, Hypo, Jungle Boa in his bioactive enclosure (living plants and isopod clean up crews) I made for him.

He is 4 feet long and about 850 grams or so. He is on a 15+ day feeding schedule.

https://i.postimg.cc/BnsCz463/IMG-20200426-202150425.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/j2Tqp1Y9/IMG-20200426-103209967.jpg
View Quote

That's a cool habitat!  What is "Isopod cleanup crew?"

I'm asking because I just cleaned my ball's habitat.  It'd be nice to have some help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Fang taking a bath while I clean his habitat.  He's 4 years old and about 3 feet long.  I've never weighed him.  He gets one small rat a month.  Still sheds every couple of months.

Here he is hanging out after the bath.

And a picture of him when I first got him.  He's a chill little dude.  This reminds me I need to take him out more.  Even though the old saying is, "A hiding ball is a happy ball," he seems to really enjoy it, and I don't do it often enough.

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I love that you're willing to feed him another snake.  Indigo is like the pitbull of snakes, but without the baby killing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like one hell of a collection!  I just have the two Everglades rat snakes for now.  I'm holding out for an Eastern Indigo.....hopefully one day.

As long as they are captive bred, and if shipped across states lines a federal permit.  Other than that, good to go.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:I love that you're willing to feed him another snake.  Indigo is like the pitbull of snakes, but without the baby killing.
View Quote

Actually I got some good advice from @azjeeper that if he's doing well on easily obtainable rodents, stick to that.  Don't want him getting a taste for other snakes and not going back to rodents.  Have a fuzzy rat and two hopper mice thawing as we speak since it's feeding day.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

East Texas?
View All Quotes

TX Hill Country near Horseshoe Bay.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

TX Hill Country near Horseshoe Bay.
View Quote

No idea they got that far West.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuzzy rat was big hit with the indigo.  Everglades rat snakes are finally hiding after a month of non-stop crawling, so I'm guessing they'll shed soon and not have mating on their mind.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As long as they are captive bred, and if shipped across states lines a federal permit.  Other than that, good to go.
View Quote

I'd love to get one, but $2K is too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got my little guy for $800 here in Arizona. I don't think you'll pay that much.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm asking because I just cleaned my ball's habitat.  It'd be nice to have some help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/BnsCz463/IMG-20200426-202150425.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/j2Tqp1Y9/IMG-20200426-103209967.jpg

Here is a simple explanation. At first it takes a lot of work but once it is established a spot clean of large waste is all that is needed.

CLEAN UP CREWS BIOACTIVE
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment by Rob  Este, on Flickr

So a few weeks back my son told me he had seen a large snake passing by, I searched through my CCTV and found this noodle. Curious as to what type of snake it was, I contacted the Game warden and sent her the jpeg, at first she thought it was a timber rattler but was not sure about it.  She sent the image to some of her field colleagues and it took two days for her to get back to me with her answer.

She told me it was a Dumerilis Boa which is not indigenous to the area. She also said it would likely remain in the area and that it would not survive the winter in the wild due to the cold weather. The snake has not been  
seen since then.

Does the snake community agree with "the experts" ID of this noodle?  The hight of the stone wall is about 20 inches in height.
I really would not want it to be a rattlesnake.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The pattern looks a little off to be a dumerils to me.  But, not the best quality picture and it does look very similar.  I'd start snake hunting and find yourself a new pet!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The pattern looks a little off to be a dumerils to me.  But, not the best quality picture and it does look very similar.  I'd start snake hunting and find yourself a new pet!
View Quote

There must be a reason why someone released it to the wild. The warden said it may be because it is deseased?!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I have three Dumerils boas.  I don't think that's one.

If it is a Dum they are extremely chill snakes and very common in the pet trade.  It takes a lot to get one to bite you - like, your hand has to smell like rodent.  They very rarely strike defensively, which is good because they actually have long teeth for their size, especially given that they are a ground boa.  A healthy adult male would run $400-500, females a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49957488737_45cb4e99a2_k.jpgAttachment by Rob  Este, on Flickr

So a few weeks back my son told me he had seen a large snake passing by, I searched through my CCTV and found this noodle. Curious as to what type of snake it was, I contacted the Game warden and sent her the jpeg, at first she thought it was a timber rattler but was not sure about it.  She sent the image to some of her field colleagues and it took two days for her to get back to me with her answer.

She told me it was a Dumerilis Boa which is not indigenous to the area. She also said it would likely remain in the area and that it would not survive the winter in the wild due to the cold weather. The snake has not been  
seen since then.

Does the snake community agree with "the experts" ID of this noodle?  The hight of the stone wall is about 20 inches in height.
I really would not want it to be a rattlesnake.
View Quote

That's seriously hard to make out from that pic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Feeding day later for the indigo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Feeding day later for the indigo.
View Quote

I read that Indigos need to be fed every 7-10 days.  True?

My ball eats once a month.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I read that Indigos need to be fed every 7-10 days.  True?

My ball eats once a month.
View Quote

That is the program I've got him on.  Seven to ten days is about right.  Feeding day was ravenous, and he's getting big enough to not be so timid and constantly hiding.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Cool development lol
We found our dude giving himself a soak for the first time today. He has been giving signs of going into shed for the last few days so I’m not to surprised really. He stayed in the water for probably and hour or so with his head poking out observing, then came out and went right to the warm spot lol.
Attachment Attached File

Update- He just had to take a dump LOL. Left some turds in the water for us we didn’t see until the lights came on this morning.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We found our dude giving himself a soak for the first time today...

Update- He just had to take a dump LOL. Left some turds in the water for us we didn’t see until the lights came on this morning.
View Quote

If they need to soak during a shed cycle your humidity is too low.  Most snakes don't shed unless the humidity is too low or they have mites, or they need to poop.  My anaconda is the exception but she's semi-aquatic so it's normal.

Tip: retics poop in their water bowls and then flip the bowl.  Don't get me wrong, they are cool snakes, but they are a LOT of work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cool development lol
We found our dude giving himself a soak for the first time today. He has been giving signs of going into shed for the last few days so I’m not to surprised really. He stayed in the water for probably and hour or so with his head poking out observing, then came out and went right to the warm spot lol.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/36CA5788-1AF0-432E-871B-871B3060BF13_jpe-1510320.JPG

View Quote

Every time I see your boa I can't think of anything but what a beautiful animal that is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#45]
[deep in meditation] ... I don’t need a big snake... I don’t need a big snake... I don’t need a big snake... [deep in meditation]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Every time I see your boa I can't think of anything but what a beautiful animal that is.
View Quote

Thank you. He is a beauty.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If they need to soak during a shed cycle your humidity is too low.  Most snakes don't shed unless the humidity is too low or they have mites, or they need to poop.  My anaconda is the exception but she's semi-aquatic so it's normal.

Tip: retics poop in their water bowls and then flip the bowl.  Don't get me wrong, they are cool snakes, but they are a LOT of work.
View Quote

It has been extra hot and dry here. My AC is running overtime to keep the place cool. It’s also pulling all the humidity out. We have been misting more the last few days but our humidity and temps are spot on. I think he just had to poop LOL. His last shed was one nice long piece of skin and only took him a few minutes to completely shed off old skin.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Ya know...I don’t have any desire to get a Retic lol. They are beautiful but I’m more of a Boa guy I think LOL.

I’m still chuckling over the “poop soup” comment

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It has been extra hot and dry here. My AC is running overtime to keep the place cool. It’s also pulling all the humidity out. We have been misting more the last few days but our humidity and temps are spot on. I think he just had to poop LOL. His last shed was one nice long piece of skin and only took him a few minutes to completely shed off old skin.
View Quote

If you haven't already, cover the screen top of the enclosure with foil to help retain the humidity.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#50]
When my guys are starting to go into their shed cycle I mist the cages every time I walk past.  Definitely helped the indigo have a good shed last time (I swear the guy is growing by the day).  The others don't really seem to need it too much even though the species aren't desert snakes.
Page / 13
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top