Attachment Attached File

Little Indigo is growing like a weed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theleadfarmer1911:

Freaking awesome! Drymarchons are some of my favorites! Just remember that easterns are federally protected so don't move him across state lines without a CBW permit. If you are in any FB groups look around and you can find pictures of pied easterns. I know there is at least 1 in the us the rest are in Canada. Don't forget to post updates on how he does!
View Quote

@theleadfarmer1911  Just did.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By theleadfarmer1911:

Freaking awesome! Drymarchons are some of my favorites! Just remember that easterns are federally protected so don't move him across state lines without a CBW permit. If you are in any FB groups look around and you can find pictures of pied easterns. I know there is at least 1 in the us the rest are in Canada. Don't forget to post updates on how he does!
View Quote

The only other Drymarchon I would have thought about are a yellow or black tailed cribo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you fed that Indigo another snake yet?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dirtynails:
Have you fed that Indigo another snake yet?
View Quote

No.  I'm thinking he's still too small.  Maybe I'll find a roadkill little snake at some point, and freeze it for a month to kill parasites.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
No.  I'm thinking he's still too small.  Maybe I'll find a roadkill little snake at some point, and freeze it for a month to kill parasites.
View Quote

Baby corn might be small enough.  Find someone local who breeds corn snakes and ask to take the babies that fail to thrive or that hatch out too kinked to survive.

Baby BRB's are also small, you can ask around for stillborn babies from breeders.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Baby corn might be small enough.  Find someone local who breeds corn snakes and ask to take the babies that fail to thrive or that hatch out too kinked to survive.

Baby BRB's are also small, you can ask around for stillborn babies from breeders.
View Quote

That's an excellent idea @Bubbles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the feeling that @azjeeper may know a breeder or two here in the Valley that may be able to help out with the Cannibal Snake Project this late summer/fall.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Beautiful Indigo!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I don’t know why I haven’t really looked here yet in the pets forum but I’m building my snake house right now. The GF and I have been slowly building it up over the last couple weeks. Still don’t have a snake yet. We are in no hurry and still kinda trying to decide on what snake. Still waiting on a few things to get delivered we ordered. Currently we are just monitoring and tweaking heat/hum levels and making sure the environment is stable.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
I don’t know why I haven’t really looked here yet in the pets forum but I’m building my snake house right now. The GF and I have been slowly building it up over the last couple weeks. Still don’t have a snake yet. We are in no hurry and still kinda trying to decide on what snake. Still waiting on a few things to get delivered we ordered. Currently we are just monitoring and tweaking heat/hum levels and making sure the environment is stable. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/51CBE5D0-F83F-4F77-8EB4-C209F97863E9_jpe-1400101.JPG
View Quote

Cool man.  What's on your short list?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Well....the gf wants a Boa. So I imagine that’s what we will probably get. I like them also. Just want to get a male in one of the smaller subspecies. We don’t mind a large snake but want to avoid something that gets 10feet and up lol

We talked about Black Kings and of course ball pythons. She doesn’t really seem interested in any of the balls tho.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#14]
A little male boa is an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#15]
In fact that was the first snake I ever bought.  Worked all summer for my Dad running wires for his burglar alarm company crawling on my belly under houses or crawling through attics in the South Georgia heat to save money for it.  Lol!  I'm cracking myself up about that shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I don’t know why I haven’t really looked here yet in the pets forum but I’m building my snake house right now. The GF and I have been slowly building it up over the last couple weeks. Still don’t have a snake yet. We are in no hurry and still kinda trying to decide on what snake. Still waiting on a few things to get delivered we ordered. Currently we are just monitoring and tweaking heat/hum levels and making sure the environment is stable. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/51CBE5D0-F83F-4F77-8EB4-C209F97863E9_jpe-1400101.JPG
View Quote

If I can make some suggestions...

With that enclosure you will need to avoid species that require high humidity, which cuts out boas and pythons.  The open screen top + light will make a dry environment; it will be an exercise in frustration to keep it humid as you're fighting science.

Eventually the screen tops fail or rip and your snake pushes its way out.  I would have plexiglass tops made for security, and if you need to bump up the ambient temperature use a DHP (deep heat projector) because the IR energy penetrates plexi fairly easily.  Underneath put a heat pad on a thermostat so it can't overheat and burn your snake, which makes for an expensive vet bill.

Some of the decor needs to go.  That tree in the center looks nice but snakes will attempt to go through the eye slits and get stuck.  It might be ok for a colubrid because their body shape is more uniform, but ball pythons and boas have thick bodies and they'd never make it all the way through so you'd have to destroy it to get them out.  With hides you want something where the design leaves the access hole open on one side, not fully enclosed, like these: https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

The fake plants are fine.  As a tip they are half the cost at a craft store like Michaels as they are at a big box pet store.  Again, just ensure you get a style of plant with no enclosed loops.  Also check them carefully for protruding wire or those transparent thin loops of plastic used to hold price tags.

Have spare water bowls available so when your snake takes a crap in one you can swap it out and run the soiled one through the dishwasher.

With that setup I would put in a colubrid, maybe an African house snake if you want a critter that's atypical but still docile and forgiving of new owner mistakes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes please...keep the advice coming!

As you already mentioned, we have been struggling to get the humidity up and stable. The open/screen top we were warned about as well being the main problem for trapping humidity. We ordered and have solid top lids coming for the enclosure. Also have a couple regular snake hides for hot/cool sides of the tank and and other odds and ends coming in.

Our plan has been to buy/get everything we could possibly need/get a good snake habitat set up and later towards the mid/end of summer actually buy the snake we want. Plus it sounds like it’s snake egg/baby season, so hopefully there will be good selection of snakes by then.

We have only really been building/setting up the tank for the last week or so. Everything is likely to change. My GF has been decorating the tank for fun/boredom and for testing purposes I guess.

Do you think I could foam closed the tree eye holes to keep snakes from going through?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is my 11 month old Pastel Hypo, Jungle Boa chilling in his Bioactive enclosure I built for him. Those are live plants he is on top of.

I am waiting on an arboreal enclosure from Animal Plastics (3-4 month wait) And will be getting an Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa next.

And here he is stretched out in the enclosure a couple of months ago before I finished it. He was not living in it until I had it complete and the temperature and humidity was correct.

This is the top of the enclosure upside down before installation showing the 2 radiant heat panels and the LED strips I installed in slots I routed for them.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Also to add. We have a heat mat in the mail right now. Already have a nice thermostat waiting for it, also have some kind of ceramic(I think) heat lamp bulb things that sounds similar to what you described. No light, just heat on those.

So far we are able to maintain 75-90 temps and humidity between 50% and 80% across the tank for about 3 days before we need to mist with a spray bottle and bring humidity back up. We hope that the new lids will help trap more humidity and solve that problem for a longer period of time anyway.

Another thing, we are planning of sectioning this tank in half for the snake for a while. We are planning on getting a young/baby snake and we know this tank is to big for the snake as a baby. We keep reading that large enclosures can stress out young snakes. So that’s part of the plan as well.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
A little male boa is an excellent choice.
View Quote

Glad to hear that lol. Everything we read about them makes them sound like pretty good snakes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Thealien:
Here is my 11 month old Pastel Hypo, Jungle Boa chilling in his Bioactive enclosure I built for him. Those are live plants he is on top of.

I am waiting on an arboreal enclosure from Animal Plastics (3-4 month wait) And will be getting an Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa next.

https://i.postimg.cc/BnsCz463/IMG-20200426-202150425.jpg

And here he is stretched out in the enclosure a couple of months ago before I finished it. He was not living in it until I had it complete and the temperature and humidity was correct. 

https://i.postimg.cc/dVTbsZWD/IMG-20200126-094720541.jpg

This is the top of the enclosure upside down before installation showing the 2 radiant heat panels and the LED strips I installed in slots I routed for them.

https://i.postimg.cc/wx02m4Cm/IMG-20200201-124237722.jpg
View Quote

That is awesome!! Nice lid set up!! And man those Green Tree Pythons and Emerald Tree Boas are my favorite. I’m color blind as fuck so colors don’t really stand out to me at all....EXCEPT that bright green tree color shines to my eye. Someday maybe I’ll get one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#22]
That Indigo is also beautiful btw!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Another thing, we are planning of sectioning this tank in half for the snake for a while. We are planning on getting a young/baby snake and we know this tank is to big for the snake as a baby. We keep reading that large enclosures can stress out young snakes. So that’s part of the plan as well. 
View Quote

That's more of an issue with ball pythons than boas.  As long as boas have hidey holes they're fine.

If you can fill in the eyes on the tree thing that would be ideal.  Put the CHE over top of it and I'll bet you'll find your boa perched on it basking, they like to climb.

There's a discussion of dwarf boa localities at https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?266140-Best-Dwarf-Boa-imperator-locality that you might find interesting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#24]
So my big male Everglades rat decided that it's that time of year and he's done eating for the next couple of months (female is still eating though).  Little indigo is still ravenous and ate four fuzzies.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:27:16 AM EDT
[#25]
So we decided on and ordered a 2020 born baby male Suriname Boa. Pretty damn excited! Don’t have it yet tho. Expecting a call tomorrow to determine shipping details and stuff
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:11:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Some of the pics of those are absolutely stunning.  Don't look like they are of the smaller subspecies though.  Lol!  If I were to get into boids  again it would be the smaller species.  Go figure, I dig small boids and large colubrids.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I wish I had a snake in the barn right now, friggin rats are getting into the chicken feed.  But, alas, no snakes here.  (yeah, yeah, I know we have a tiny one that looks like an earthworm)
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
I wish I had a snake in the barn right now, friggin rats are getting into the chicken feed.  But, alas, no snakes here.  (yeah, yeah, I know we have a tiny one that looks like an earthworm)
View Quote

@Brundoggie Just give it a few years and you'll get some brown tree snakes from Guam.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Some of the pics of those are absolutely stunning.  Don't look like they are of the smaller subspecies though.  Lol!  If I were to get into boids  again it would be the smaller species.  Go figure, I dig small boids and large colubrids.
View Quote

Yeah these will get kinda big but seem to stay well under 10 feet. Like half that for males on a slow grow feeding regime. Large rats are probably their limit...mine as well LOL. It’s also a little tough to find true smaller species Boas. Hog Isl are the most common it seems and all of them tend to get expensive. Like $1000 and up. We are getting this one for a few hundred.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]

@Brundoggie Just give it a few years and you'll get some brown tree snakes from Guam.  
View Quote

Don't even joke about that.  Those fuckers really destroyed the bird life on Guam.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Some of the pics of those are absolutely stunning.  Don't look like they are of the smaller subspecies though.  Lol!  If I were to get into boids  again it would be the smaller species.  Go figure, I dig small boids and large colubrids.
View Quote

Tarahumara boa, formerly an imperator locality, recently designated with its own species - boa sigma.  Males top out at 3.5', females at 4.5'.  Fair warning, they got attitude as babies and juvies.  My female had a litter last year and if I don't handle the babies carefully they'll nip.

Pure hog islands are expensive because they are hard to find, they've been outcrossed with other morphs quite a bit.  Not many people work with pure lines.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Tarahumara boa, formerly an imperator locality, recently designated with its own species - boa sigma.  Males top out at 3.5', females at 4.5'.  Fair warning, they got attitude as babies and juvies.  My female had a litter last year and if I don't handle the babies carefully they'll nip.

Pure hog islands are expensive because they are hard to find, they've been outcrossed with other morphs quite a bit.  Not many people work with pure lines.
View Quote

You know Bubbles, if I ever get into boids again you're going to me my go-to.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I looked around a bit for Tarahumara Boas. They are hard to find as well. I was snake shopping hardcore for over a month for a small male boa.

Everything was either impossible to find a legit source for or really expensive.

The Tarahumara is one of the first that pops up when google searching for dwarf Boas, so naturally at first I was set on trying to find one.

My snake will be here Thursday morning...so expect a ton of pics!!!

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I looked around a bit for Tarahumara Boas. They are hard to find as well. I was snake shopping hardcore for over a month for a small male boa.

Everything was either impossible to find a legit source for or really expensive. 

The Tarahumara is one of the first that pops up when google searching for dwarf Boas, so naturally at first I was set on trying to find one. 

My snake will be here Thursday morning...so expect a ton of pics!!! 
View Quote

I actually have four of last year's litter for sale and will be pairing a different female this season.  I don't ship though, I only sell locally.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Here he is! Came in this morning. Checked him over and released him in his tank where he found a good spot and is now resting. Going to give him some time to adapt now

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#37]
That's a stunning little Boa!  Congrats!  Love the markings.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#38]
He's purty.  Where's you get him?

ETA: Looks like your girlfriend posted him up in Boa Passion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Haha! Yep she did. He’s doing great. He’s coming out every night when the lights go out to explore. He seems to creep around for an hour or so and then go back to his little safe spot he found.
We ordered him from BHB Reptiles but I believe they got them from a breeder somewhere else. Chicago maybe it was.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Perched up this morning in the tree
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Perched up this morning in the tree
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/2CFF7AB3-8004-48A0-8E8A-DF0EE3CA1C79_jpe-1418727.JPG
View Quote

Damn it ak4784, you're making me want another Boa!  That thing is beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#42]
We just fed the little dude for the first time. F/T large mouse. He snatched it up within 30 seconds, drug it to the back of his tree, inverted himself hanging upside down and swallowed it. All in 5 min or less. Pretty impressive for a little guy lol. I took a short video and will upload it to my YT channel and post the clip sometime tonight or tomorrow

EDIT- uploaded fast.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I should get a video of one of my retics eating.  It's pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Do it!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Do it!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#46]
This is a burm not a retic.  She's eating a stillborn lamb.  I buy stillborn lambs, goats, pigs, etc. from local farmers.  I also get a fair number of old, evil roosters.  The snakes love fowl but cleaning up the aftermath 10-14 days later is just nasty.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow! Nice. I have read that varying their diets a bit can be good to mix up different fats/proteins in their systems. Seems logical I guess lol

Here is one my GF took of my guy after he decided to hang and eat lol.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow! Nice. I have read that varying their diets a bit can be good to mix up different fats/proteins in their systems. Seems logical I guess lol

Here is one my GF took of my guy after he decided to hang and eat lol.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53193/1904A571-1488-4411-9C10-72986B12202F_jpe-1425976.JPG
View Quote

Nice! You can never go wrong with a suriname. One of the most naturally beautiful snakes. A varied diet is always better. Since the commercial breeders run the industry most people stick with what they see other people doing even though if you have a small collection it is always better to have bigger cages and provide different foods like quail or chicks every so often.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]
When I had my big Taiwan Beauty snake I'd mix him up with mice, rats, quail guinea pigs and chicks. On an aside, I hope Rodent Pro has survived the last few months of craziness.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Cold Blooded Cafe and Perfect Prey are both great feeder companies ran by good people. Rodent Pro has somewhat of a "shady" history.
Page / 13
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top