Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 11:59:12 PM EDT
I have a foxhound that has, in the only way I know how to describe it, come up "lame".   The wife says she has been fine throughout the earlier part of the day and now can barely walk. She is holding her right side rear leg completely off the ground in a retracted position. No apparent injuries but it obviously hurts to touch her hip/leg.  Any ideas?  Never seen this before for no apparent reason.  Any input is most welcome!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably just be a common strain/ sprain but, if your dog is over 5 years old, bring it to the vet for x-rays. My dog had several of those over the years but it went on for a month and it turned out to be bone cancer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a vet but have raised more animals than I can count.  It could be a minor sprain or an injured foot or it may be as major as a broken bone, a trip to the vet is warranted to know for sure.  They can't tell you how much pain and suffering they have so it's always better to err on the side of caution with a trip to the vet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Age?   It's common for dogs that tear an acl to exhibit toe touching lameness in the rear leg that is affected.  Clients often think it's a foot problem but it's the knee.  Depending on the situation if lameness persists for 2-3 days with no improvement I'd consider a vet visit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Age?   It's common for dogs that tear an acl to exhibit toe touching lameness in the rear leg that is affected.  Clients often think it's a foot problem but it's the knee.  Depending on the situation if lameness persists for 2-3 days with no improvement I'd consider a vet visit.
View Quote
She's around 8 (she's a rescue ...best estimate from the vet) That sounds very much like what she is doing. It's significantly better at this point, but we'll take her in tomorrow to get it checked out.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She's around 8 (she's a rescue ...best estimate from the vet) That sounds very much like what she is doing. It's significantly better at this point, but we'll take her in tomorrow to get it checked out.  Thanks!
View Quote
Any updates?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top