Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/13/2017 8:22:16 AM EDT
I made a thread a while back regarding male vs female shepherd which had a lot of great information and helped  good bit. Between the fiancee and I, we thought we decided on a male. However after two litters, and no  males, we took it as a sign that maybe we should stick with our original pick of a female. Our breeder said we could go to the next litter, but at that time, we wouldn't have enough time to dictate to a 8 week old puppy that we would like.

Overall, done the research, i've had a puppy before. I've obviously going to change some things I did the first time around with my lab as a puppy (training and etc).  Goal is to have a good family dog, but also a good guard dog (females seem to excel at protection). I know you can train early as a puppy in small sessions as well and break habits before they start. Hopefully contain that chewing with a Kong!

Any tips for raising a female shepherd puppy?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice always fun getting a new pup.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice always fun getting a new pup.
View Quote
We're beyond excited. Cannot wait.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!!!
We just picked up ours a few days ago. She was born on June 16, 2017 and is already 14 lbs. Most playful, affectionate and observant little thing you will find.
They are a handful, but amazing pups. Keep lots of toys around your house for her to chew on. By the way, we have always chosen female GSD's over males.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!!!
We just picked up ours a few days ago. She was born on June 16, 2017 and is already 14 lbs. Most playful, affectionate and observant little thing you will find.
They are a handful, but amazing pups. Keep lots of toys around your house for her to chew on. ny the way, we have always chosen female GSD's over males.
View Quote
Any reason for that male vs female? Just out of curiosity.
Plan on getting several Kongs and filling it with peanut and throwing it in the freezer. (tip my buddy who also just finished with puppy days with his shepherd)
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
We have always chosen females due to males like to "mark their territory". Once they get housebroken you never have issues unless you travel, then they will mark their territory again where you go. Females don't do that. Basically it. At least that is our thinking. Either are great!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I see lots of walks in your future. A tired puppy is a good puppy.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top