Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/1/2017 8:21:16 AM EDT
15 week old GSD will not crap outside.  We take her out every half hour/ 45 minutes and she will pee, but will not crap.  When we take her out, sometimes for 30 minutes and no carp, comes inside and will crap within 5 minutes.

I'm at my wits end with her.  I love her but I'm getting really tired of having the house smell like shit and who knows what it's doing to the hardwood floors.  I've never had a pup do this and to flat out refuse to go outside.

Any help as to what I can do to break her of this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you put the poop in the trash or toss it out in the yard? Tossing it outside then walking her may clue her in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Food train her, no poop no treat, poop, yummy treat. Crate train her, put her in the crate IMMEDIATELY after she comes in if she doesn't poop outside, don't if she does along with treat and lots of praise. Make sure crate is small enough she can't poop and then have room to get away from it.

People may bitch but a firm no and a light pop on the nose if she goes inside after being outside always worked well for me after putting her snozzle right by the poo.

And when she is out, run her hard, don't just let her wander, make her exercise to get her metabolism up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Trained all my pups the same way

Watch them like a hawk. As soon as they start to squat..run over and grab them by theor scruff and yell outside outside outside while bringing them outside.

2 days is about all you will need.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Food train her, no poop no treat, poop, yummy treat. Crate train her, put her in the crate IMMEDIATELY after she comes in if she doesn't poop outside, don't if she does along with treat and lots of praise. Make sure crate is small enough she can't poop and then have room to get away from it.

People may bitch but a firm no and a light pop on the nose if she goes inside after being outside always worked well for me after putting her snozzle right by the poo.

And when she is out, run her hard, don't just let her wander, make her exercise to get her metabolism up.
View Quote
This. 

But it doesn't have to be food. When your dog finally does shit outside. Go crazy like your kid just graduated med school. The crate will help. If she always shits a couple min after you bring her in you need her in the crate. Take out after 30min in crate and then straight outside. 

Your hardwood is fine. 

As he said a short workout will help. 

Eta: as the post above says.  MOST dogs do the circle thing before they go. If you're watching you should be able to grab her and run. If she makes it outside. PRAISE/REWAED like you never have before 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.  We will be implementing them today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#6]
All good tips.

The only thing I would add is a voice command when you take her out,  same verbiage over and over.

Train to poop on command and use that command as a celebration when she dumps.

Fido " Go poopo caca " when dumped make the connection by repeating the command with good dog atta boy and repeat till the connection.

That way as the dog ages if you give the command the dog knows it's gonna be awhile before bathroom time.

It sucks but 15 weeks she should be pooping after every meal, so walking with a purpose is on you till she dumps. If you bring her back in crate 15 then back out with commanded poop.

Good lick
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My GSD was too shy to poop in front of people  until about 5yo, lol

She'd run off innawoods and hide behind a tree. If she found out you could see her nose or tail, she'd find a different tree.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This works.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
also, now you have somewhat trained in the idea of 'walk 45 minutes, come in, poop'

You probably now need to go out with pup for 45 minutes, bring in for THREEMINUTES, just enough time to take your shoes off and leash off and for pup to have a minute inside.  Then back outside for 5 minutes then back in for THREE MINUTES...now is when you watch like a hawk.  Repeat. Repeat.

You may be in for a LONG night.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Try taking her outside for longer periods when you suspect it needs to go poop.
You take it outside every 30-45 minutes, but how long are you outside? Chances are it'll go on a nice long walk instead of your back lawn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, it's been a month and I must say, it's been productive.

At first, it was a living hell.  Trying to get her in a crate was like pulling teeth, she would flat out refuse to go in (typical female. LOL) and when she was in, would whine and bark endlessly.  She wouldn't crap in the crate, but would do it going from the crate to the back door to let her out.

After a week or so, we finally got her to stop doing that and found out her "Schedule" for when she pooped.  We also found a spot in the yard that she likes going to to poop.  

Over the past 2 weeks, she has only had 3 accidents in the house, and they were our fault for not getting to her when she would tell us she needed to go out.

Now we just have to work on getting her ears to stand up.  lol

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to hear.

Sometimes an older dog they can learn from makes life easier when it comes to potty training and related.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top