Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/27/2017 3:12:07 PM EDT
How are you all keeping your house from smelling like dog?  I have been using those febreeze noticeables things for a while, but to me anyway it still smells like I have a house full of dogs.  I've tried that powder stuff you put on your carpet before you vacuum and it didn't seem to do anything.  FWIW I have two GSDs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean bedding
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
In general for both dogs and cats, good quality food can reduce body smell a lot.  Grain free, with the proper protein amount and what not.

It is amazing how much their skin and coat rely on the food they eat, but since that is a major player in their ability to survive their environments, it makes sense that it needs the right nutrients.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In general for both dogs and cats, good quality food can reduce body smell a lot.  Grain free, with the proper protein amount and what not.

It is amazing how much their skin and coat rely on the food they eat, but since that is a major player in their ability to survive their environments, it makes sense that it needs the right nutrients.
View Quote
Thanks I have been feeding them Taste of the Wild.  This week I am out of the BCT portion of my class's training and go into AIT.  I will try to start vacuuming more often as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
QFT!

We have 4 dogs, and in general, the 3 dont really smell.  my female pit though... she can get some bad BO if/when its hot out and comes inside.  Food is prob the biggest thing to make sure they dont smell.  On top of that my dogs get a both once a month.  so that prob helps too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
How often do you wash/groom your dog?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Clean the dogs, brush outside often and shampoo regularly,  bedding with washable cover, vacuum and dust.

The cover up stuff is just that covering up.

When I had a pack I got rid of carpet and did oceans swims.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
our vet said to NOT use febreeze on stuff-- guess its bad for the kittahs--assuming dogs similar.

as far as smell, keep house clean, wash stuff it sleeps on, use dog beds or whatever that can be washed.

we went as far as installing HVAC air exchanger to keep fresh air in house....which seems to really help in winter with stale air
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got 120# of German Asshole and Catahula Cunt running ricshaw through the house. No amount of washing is going to help.

"Look dad! I killed a lizard. I'm going to be right here rollin' in it."

But the food helps.

I'm putting in tile in October.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Tear out the carpet.  Three dogs in my house, hardwood floor.  No dog smell.

I also wash them every other week with Mane n' Tail shampoo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
our vet said to NOT use febreeze on stuff-- guess its bad for the kittahs--assuming dogs similar.

as far as smell, keep house clean, wash stuff it sleeps on, use dog beds or whatever that can be washed.

we went as far as installing HVAC air exchanger to keep fresh air in house....which seems to really help in winter with stale air
View Quote
Fabreeze thing is an internet rumor..

from ASPCA

"Febreze
Contrary to rumors alleging that Febreze causes serious illness or death in pets, our veterinary toxicology experts at APCC regard Febreze fabric freshener products to be safe for use in households with pets.

As with any product, it is important that you always follow label instructions for use. However, should your pet accidentally come into contact with Febreze when it is still wet, we would not anticipate problems beyond mild skin irritation (which can occur with any product in animals with sensitive skin) or minor stomach upset, if it is ingested."

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/poisonous-household-products
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#11]
You probably need to clean more often. Pet dander goes everywhere.  Blinds, upholstery, sheets, flooring, ducts, filters, under beds, curtains, etc.  

You may be able to reduce it, but probably won't completely eliminate it.  

Buy a good quality $40 black light on Amazon and go around the house to find out where they have been pissing.  Trust me, they have been.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tear out the carpet.  Three dogs in my house, hardwood floor.  No dog smell.

I also wash them every other week with Mane n' Tail shampoo.
View Quote
I wish I could do that.  Currently in a rental.  I am getting a house built for my PCS.  The only rooms that have carpet are the bedrooms.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top