Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 9:07:27 PM EDT
Why do dogs lay right in the middle of a path?

Cats tend to stay where it's warm like the sunshine.  My dog lays right in the middle of a path so you have to walk around her.  Why?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
They like to lay where they won't miss anything going on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
They put themselves between you and danger.    Or they just like to see you trip over them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you rather lay in a clear path, or in the woods on sticks and leaves?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They put themselves between you and danger.    Or they just like to see you trip over them.
View Quote
She did that one night in my bedroom.  Got up to use the can and went head over heels and landed on my back.  Even with my door open, she never slept in my room again after that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The guy that trained my dog said it's more of a territory/dominance type thing.   He told us don't walk around the dog, make the dog get up and move out of the way.  

But only if you are concerned about remaining the alpha in your household.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The guy that trained my dog said it's more of a territory/dominance type thing.   He told us don't walk around the dog, make the dog get up and move out of the way.  

View Quote
I just walk over him if he's laying down or walk through him if he's standing/sitting. Occasionally the dumb fuck moves while I'm stepping  over him and he gets kicked or stepped on, you'd think after a few years he'd learn. Usually he jumps up as soon as I move though so he can supervise whatever I'm doing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

She did that one night in my bedroom.  Got up to use the can and went head over heels and landed on my back.  Even with my door open, she never slept in my room again after that.
View Quote
We rescued a Norwegain Elkhound.  We were told he liked to sleep on the couch   The first week we had him I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to sleep on the couch so I would not wake up the wife.  I did not turn on the light, just walked out and sat down on the couch right on top of the Elkhound.   He has never got on the couch again.  That was 12 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you for your insight.  While you're not advocating any sort of violence, I also consider that my dog is a shelter animal who came from an abusive owner and I don't want to do anything to make her scared of me.  First time I came out of a room with a baseball style cap in my hand she jumped back from me, probably expecting to be hit with it.  Now we can walk with me waving my hat about near her to ward off mosquitos and flies and she isn't worried.  Yesterday was the first time in over a year and a half that she's been with me that she ever licked me (on the elbow).  Normal dog conduct we expect like jumping up on people was beaten out of her (and her brother) long before I adopted them.  I suppose a gentle nudge with the foot will work to get her to move.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If I'm outside with Dorky Dog, he'll always put himself where he can see me.
That might be in my way, might not.  
Papillons by nature always want to be around their pet humans and won't stray very far.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top