Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/6/2017 8:38:08 PM EDT
Long story short, dog started acting funny Friday night so I took him to the emergency vet. After some XRays, they found a large mass in his chest cavity near his heart. They sent me to another facility that wanted to run a boat load of extensive tests to find out what it was. The vet did make the statement that it's most likely cancerous due to the area it's located etc. I opted for blood work and meds then I plan to speak with an oncologist this week. Blood work came back ok with nothing alarming.

They stated surgery may not be an option due to location and having to split his chest cavity. They stated chemo may be an option but I don't think I want to put my dog thru that. If there was another option I'd like to explore it. I was hoping for a surgical option that isn't as bad as having to split the chest cavity. He's had some major surgery in the past.

I think I know where this is heading but I want to explore all options.

Any pros have any suggestions or options? The vet seems set on running a boat load more tests.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a vet but i wouldnt put my dog through chemo...enjoy his remaining life
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a vet, but my wife and I have had two cats (like small dogs, but more selfish and usually softer) - die from cancer.

One had a tumor similar to yours.  We opted for surgery to remove it, and the cat died on the operating table.  It ended up costing a couple of grand, which was a big hit for two starving graduate students.

The other developed a tumor closer to the surface (outside the ribcage), and we did everything for that cat.  Surgery, followed by daily radiation treatments for a month (at University of Missouri's vet school).  The cancer came back, and we tried chemo.  It still ate him alive.     (don't even ask how much we spent).

If that is a cancerous tumor, I would spoil the shit out of the animal, and give it all the favorite foods, treats, etc. - until it starts to show ANY signs of suffering, and then I would end it.  

I hope it turns out to be something manageable, but if not, you have my best wishes and positive thoughts.
View Quote
If it was a couple of grand and a less complex surgery than splitting the sternum open, I'd try it. The emergency place wanted around $2.5k just in tests. Sounded extreme to me. Still spent about $800 between the 2 vet places with his tests and medicine.

He had his spleen removed because it had a tumor on it about 3.5-4 years ago. That whole thing was only around $2.5k surgery and all if I remember right.

He also had a mass removed from under his leg, then split the wound open later that night, then his stomach flipped the next day. That was probably around 3k total or so.

The place that did his last two major surgeries doesn't do it anymore. May have to check with other places.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top