Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/28/2017 8:19:10 AM EDT
Anyone else with a dog that this popped up on?  I went to the vet shorlty after it started and got her on a prescription which helped a lot but never went away completely. She was on it for two weeks. I took her back in and was told to try acne pad from the store. A little upset that the vet is kinda like meh. She's got two clusters the size of quarters on the bottom of her chin that are bleeding.

She's a 5 month old GSP

Any ideas? One of her bowls was plastic and I read they can have reactions to that so I'm switching that out today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The bacteria buildup in the bowl gets it going. Use stainless steel. Need to clean bowls everyday, soap and water. I've had my dog on meds a couple times for that crap. The cheaper antibiotic cleared it. I had him cleared up, went hunting for 9 days, left him with the kids and told their mom that the bowls had to be cleaned. She acknowledged it then promptly forgot. Got him back all broke out again and back to the vet.

He is pretty good now but now I'm dealing with his front "elbows" being raw and inflamed. I'm soaping those a couple times a day now....

Stay on top of it, probably always going to be suseptable to it...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had this on dogs, but have had the chin acne thing on cats. As already posted, stainless bowls, and keep them clean, Clean, CLEAN. Wash and change the water at least 3 or 4 times a day, and never leave a dirty food dish down.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
My dog Gus,  his littermate, and their mother all had a staph infection on their chins that was hell to get rid of. We tried all kinds of wipes, ointments, etc, and the thing that finally got rid of it was a long long long period of dosing him with Keflex. Like 3 months 2 times a day.  Once it was finally gone, it was gone forever, with just a couple of scars on his chin to show something was up.

The white spot on his (in the middle) chin is where it was at.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never had this on dogs, but have had the chin acne thing on cats. As already posted, stainless bowls, and keep them clean, Clean, CLEAN. Wash and change the water at least 3 or 4 times a day, and never leave a dirty food dish down.
View Quote
Uh, yeah...............this.   If you don't eat off a dirty plate, don't make your dog.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I take good care of the dogs I've had so it's not a lack of care. I had a plastic bowl in the garage I changed water in a couple times a day and wash them all frequently. Tossed that and got another SS one. She had a pool out back that she liked splashing in that I changed water in daily. I got rid of both of those. It hasn't gotten worse and I got wipes at the vet. I'd say it doesn't look as inflamed as it was but am keeping a close eye on it. Thanks for the advice and responses.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
One of my dogs got it about that age.  It went away soon after.  The vet said it was common in puppies.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top