Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2017 2:29:46 AM EDT

So when I adopted him, he was listed as a German Shepard, Lab mix. He is 46lbs. I'll be doing the test in the next day or so, and then will be mailing it back in.

My predictions: GSD,AKITA,LAB and maybe a very small bit of husky

AND WE HAVE RESULTS

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll wait here for the results.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
looks mostly red healer to me.  Nice ears, black mouth and pointy ears could be some GSD but not likely Mal.  My guess
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks mostly red healer to me.  Nice ears, black mouth and pointy ears could be some GSD but not likely Mal.  My guess
View Quote
This. Good call trvin
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#4]
His proportions look like something else is definitely in the mix. I see the GSD. Be interesting to see what he is made up of.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm also seeing some cattle dog. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
To me, it looks like his breed is "awesome."
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Send it in to the peiple dna registry and see what they say about him.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
30% possum
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Jackalope-Terrier mix?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
AROCK, you *are* the father!
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Red healer and German shepherd
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe lab and red healer
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow, after googling red heeler, I think you may be the winner. He looks remarkably like this dog. Going to do the swabbing today and drop it in the mail
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Send it in to the peiple dna registry and see what they say about him.
View Quote
That would be very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
We did that with one of our rescue dogs we got as a puppy.. Dont necessarily agree with it LOL.  He acts like a really well behaved JRT and is very smart and follows directions but with lots of lip lol.
His siblings look different.. there were 6 total and two of each "look".  I have researched and it seems that one litter can have multiple fathers.  So who knows what genes are crossed in him.

The Dog

The DNA test
Attachment Attached File

His mom(front one) for reference.. looks like a JRT/Chihuahua.
Attachment Attached File

His brother.. no joke
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok folks, the results are IN!

And I gotta say I am a bit surprised but it seems to be pretty accurate.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
So that was really interesting, as the two breeds I would have never guessed are American Staffordshire terror and Shar-Pei , that was interesting for sure but I had guessed he was Husky and GSD, but the percentage of GSD was not what I was expecting but it's probably higher than the 12.5% because GSD is also listed in the Mixed Component of 37.5% . No lab which was interesting for sure.

All and all, it was worth the money
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it's incredibly interesting how many of these tests reveal that dogs who have no phenotypic bull breed characteristics often have bull breeds in the woodpile. I would hazard that a large percentage of the mutts out there have some bully in them, and a lot of the people so prejudiced against them quite possibly have a bully breed mix laying right at their feet while they curiously condemn the genetics.

Anyway, I hope you and your pup have lots of excellent adventures together!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Good to know he's still a dog .

That's pretty cool.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think it's incredibly interesting how many of these tests reveal that dogs who have no phenotypic bull breed characteristics often have bull breeds in the woodpile. I would hazard that a large percentage of the mutts out there have some bully in them, and a lot of the people so prejudiced against them quite possibly have a bully breed mix laying right at their feet while they curiously condemn the genetics.

Anyway, I hope you and your pup have lots of excellent adventures together!
View Quote
or is it the other way around?  Are the bully breeds heavily infused with various mutt genes, and so due to some shared ancestors 50 generations up that are non-bully, a lot of false positives get identified.

Also, be aware that these test are fun, but not terribly accurate.  Generally with purebreds they can be pretty good but there are plenty of articles out there of dogs of very well known lineage (showline purebreds, USDA research beagle lines, littermates, and sometimes even the same dog submitted years apart) coming up with very incorrect results, and also some rare breeds who were though to have some genetically unique/rare patterns in the 'nonsense' regions of the DNA turns out a lot of other dogs have the same patterns too just not as regular, so there are a lot of false positives for the Entlebucher and shar pai

Visually, I too see ACD, although I'll note that stocky nature of the ACD body type can be displayed in mutts with mostly herding but with bully blood in them. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I did that DNA testing on my 9.5 pound terrier.  I believed everything on the report until I saw border collie listed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I did that DNA testing on my 9.5 pound terrier.  I believed everything on the report until I saw border collie listed.
View Quote
Still possible, a buddy of mine has a 12lb german shepard/lab mix.
his brother and dad each have a pup from the same litter, not a one of them look alike
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you have to pull a "Pattinson" to get a sample?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Pit Bull
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]
My 9.5 pound terrier mix's DNA came back saying that he had some border collie in him...yeah, sure...
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top