Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:07:16 AM EDT

My Son is going to keep one of the pups out of my litter....At his Moms house....Going to help them out with a crate for inside the house....

What is Arfcoms pick????

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a standard cage.  More room to move around.  They should be able to stand up in it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
cage, that way they can look around and see whats going on; they still get a lot of stimulus which keeps their minds active.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I vote plastic type. its more like a den to them and allows them to feel safer plus it contains any accidents they may have better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Have never tried this as all of my dogs live mostly outside....Their choice....

Doing some research and just as this has been the answers vary....

Thanks for the replies and keep em coming....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What size dog?

Plastic carrier may be ok while a young pup, but large dog is going to need a cage style withing 4-6 months.

I got a cage style that had a movable section in it so I could enlarge the crate as the pup grew.

At 7 months now...most plastic crates from the big box stores are too small or too flimsy for my GSD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My Son is going to keep one of the pups out of my litter....At his Moms house....Going to help them out with a crate for inside the house....

What is Arfcoms pick????

Using a crate is another tool for training a canine.  A leash, food, collars can all serve raising a dog.  Depending upon the dogs size (it sounds like your son is starting out with a pup) I would look at crates that offer a sizing partition.  

Max is my fourth dog that has lived in this crate.  Made by Ultimate (not sure if they still exist) it is extremely durable, portable and has a partition that can be moved as the dog grows.  Keeping the crate "short" trains them not to go where they sleep.  You can move it back and finally remove it when they grow bigger.  I use the crate as a "safe" place for my dogs.  If they feel unsure about anything they can retreat to their "doggie condo"  A cheap WalMart blanky, a one gallon water feeder and a favorite chew toy will net you tons of positive training for your dog.

FB
ETA:  THe $7 tarp serves as "walls and ceiling" for them as well as protect your home from accidents.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the dog . I can tell you from experience  that a plastic crate wont stand up to a Belgian Malinois . Had good luck with both ,but steele will hold up a whole lot longer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I use the cage. Sometimes the cats like to use them on their own.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the cage for Liberty and she loves it.  I have no experience with the plastic carriers because they don't seem as durable.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top