User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the Hell Diver's trilogy worth looking at?
View Quote
Don't know, but for only .99 cents the first one is worth a try.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Alerted Carbon, better than the series on Netflix.  The next two book are even better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the Hell Diver's trilogy worth looking at?
View Quote
I read the first one and it started out ok, pacing felt like it got a little odd towards the end of the book. Ment to give the second one a try and then just lost track of it and have had other stuff to read. Worth using to kill an afternoon or two if you don't have anything better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
B.V. Larson - Undying Mercenaries. If someone can find me a more fun military sci-fi series please do share.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just finished book 1 in the Empire of Man series and it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson has been great.
Book one is "Expeditionary Force: Columbus Day"
We started listening to the audio books on some trips. I think there are 5 or 6 books out now and we haven't quite finished but its a fun series.
We really like the narrator which can make or break an audio book.
Good sci fi and a lot of funny humor IMO. We giggle. Our kids undoubtedly just think we are nerds.

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
what is it with you folks and audio books?

Reading is fundamental; audiobooks totally suck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't much care for them myself; the narrators all seem to go too slow.  But they're the fastest growing market in publishing right now.  I have eight of my books out on audio.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
We listen to them on long car/ bike trips. Trying to read would be problematic. Otherwise I prefer to read.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't much care for them myself; the narrators all seem to go too slow.  But they're the fastest growing market in publishing right now.  I have eight of my books out on audio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id rather be waterboarded than listen to someone else read a book for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Id rather be waterboarded than listen to someone else read a book for me.
View Quote
Makes a note on how to conduct enhanced interrogation on TxRabbitBane…

Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
May I suggest Fran Drescher as narrator?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, please stop. I’ll tell you anything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently finished the Empire of Man books and I thought they were pretty good.

I made it as far as book 2 in the Galaxy's Edge series, book 1 was great but book 2 not so much. I'll probably won't read anymore.

I just finished book 5 in John Ringo's Kildar series, it's not really Syfy but still good.

Existential by Ryan Aslesen was ok. It's kind of a Modern twist to the story The Thing. A group of mercenaries fight an alien being that's been trapped under a glacier for millennia.

I just started 1632 on the recommendations of this thread, so far so good.

Anyone read Cally's War? The Posleen books started off great but the last couple have been meh.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
B.V. Larson - Undying Mercenaries. If someone can find me a more fun military sci-fi series please do share.
View Quote
I really did enjoy that one. I liked his Star Force series better though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are open to something new, one of my newer books is trending at 18th best in the world in its genre. It's wider Genre is Science Fiction, it's sub-genre is Gamelit. Personally I just like to call all of my books Men's Adventure novels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DS69K5W

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I spend nearly 3 hours a day commuting.  IF I didn't use audiobooks I wouldn't be able to enjoy books at all.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
A good new read is a trilogy by Brendan Dubois, the "Dark Victory" series.
These are...
"Dark Victory", "Red Vengeance" and "Black Triumph".

It takes place in the near future where Earth has been destroyed back to a 19th Century level by an alien race known as creepers.
The soldiers are who is left to fight..... children.
The hero is a 16 year old recon Ranger and his military dog.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you are open to something new, one of my newer books is trending at 18th best in the world in its genre. It's wider Genre is Science Fiction, it's sub-genre is Gamelit. Personally I just like to call all of my books Men's Adventure novels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DS69K5W

https://i.imgur.com/U4nOygw.png
View Quote
Sounds good. I added it to my list.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson has been great.
Book one is "Expeditionary Force: Columbus Day"
We started listening to the audio books on some trips. I think there are 5 or 6 books out now and we haven't quite finished but its a fun series.
We really like the narrator which can make or break an audio book.
Good sci fi and a lot of funny humor IMO. We giggle. Our kids undoubtedly just think we are nerds.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51uZyPIEeML._SL500_.jpg
View Quote
I picked that up based on this thread.  I'm on book 3 now.  Skippy is a trip!  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Vulcan94
View Quote
Skippy is an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Skippy is an asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94
Skippy is an asshole.
That too!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I read Cally's War, a quick read, and fun, but not as good as "Hero" or a couple other of the Ringo books.

I'll put in my vote as well for anything by Bujold, the Vorkosigan saga, Curse of Chalion, even the Shining Knife series, but those two aren't sci-fi, so much as fantasy.

"Santiago", and a bunch of others by Mike Resnick are good reads and quick.

Also the Semper Mars series by Ian Douglas was enjoyable, I even read two or three more of his trilogy type series, but by the 4th one I think I kind of tired of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A good new read is a trilogy by Brendan Dubois, the "Dark Victory" series.
These are...
"Dark Victory", "Red Vengeance" and "Black Triumph".

It takes place in the near future where Earth has been destroyed back to a 19th Century level by an alien race known as creepers.
The soldiers are who is left to fight..... children.
The hero is a 16 year old recon Ranger and his military dog.
View Quote
This looked really good, but wasn’t available on audio, so ill keep checking back on it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I don’t know why, but the book “we are legion:bob 1” is appealing to me, and im enjoying it even with its anti-Christian slant.  So im guessing most people here would really like it.

Just watched annihalation so ill try to find that next.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but the book "we are legion:bob 1" is appealing to me, and im enjoying it even with its anti-Christian slant.  So im guessing most people here would really like it.

Just watched annihalation so ill try to find that next.
View Quote
I've enjoyed that series. It really gets going after he/it leaves Earth.

Some really creative "never thought of that before" situations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I finished the Empire of Man series. The ending was a little abrupt, I'd have liked to read a bit more into the story. But I still recommend it.

I finished MHI memoirs. Chad was my favorite character.. I'm going to miss that man-whore.

I just finished Battle Harem book 1. It's kind of a different take on Mech war. But I liked it, just purchased book 2.

On 1632,
I liked it but it seemed like it drone on too much about setting up the government and constitution without much action.
Does it get better?
I'd like to read more about the Finnish Calvary the author referenced, they sound interesting.

I have Expeditionary Force downloading on the recommendation of this thread.

Keep this thread alive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#28]
1632 is an interesting series. IMHO.

As they move through time, they encounter much of the events some of us only vaguely remember from history, and (shock!) change it!

(I did like the castle assault, with the modern playlist. Don't remember if that's in book 1 or not.)

Sometimes, it dragged. I wanted the action, the battle, and less political maneuvering. But that's just what I like to read. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I disliked them at first, but then I got a job with 2hrs of commuting every day.
One thing I love about Kindle/Audible is that when you get a Kindle book, a lot of times you can add on an Audible Edition for just a couple of bucks more.
And they synch up. When I get home after listening to an hours worth of audio, I can sit down in my recliner and open up my Kindle right where the Audible left off and vice versa.

A good narrator makes all the difference.

Has anyone mentioned the Frontline series by Marko Kloos?

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
On Audible, you can speed them up to 3x.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I disliked them at first, but then I got a job with 2hrs of commuting every day.
One thing I love about Kindle/Audible is that when you get a Kindle book, a lot of times you can add on an Audible Edition for just a couple of bucks more.
And they synch up. When I get home after listening to an hours worth of audio, I can sit down in my recliner and open up my Kindle right where the Audible left off and vice versa.

A good narrator makes all the difference.

Has anyone mentioned the Frontline series by Marko Kloos?

www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIXX144
View Quote
I cannot recommend Frontline enough. It's an excellent series. Very hard to put down for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
1632 is an interesting series. IMHO.

As they move through time, they encounter much of the events some of us only vaguely remember from history, and (shock!) change it!

(I did like the castle assault, with the modern playlist. Don't remember if that's in book 1 or not.)

Sometimes, it dragged. I wanted the action, the battle, and less political maneuvering. But that's just what I like to read. YMMV
View Quote
I'll give book 2 a try I guess.. hopefully it picks up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I really like Into The Black (Odyssey One series).  It's the first of a 7 (so far) book series.  You can get it for your kindle for $1.99.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Of the books you list I've only read Live Free or Die.  Great book.  There are two sequels.  Both very good books.

Other good book is in a different series called the Aldenata series.

I've stopped reading his books till he gets back to those two series.  Sort of left both of them hanging without coming to a conclusion.  Maybe he needed a break from them.  I just hate to start any other series he's writing just to end up hanging when those end up unfinished.

Just me.  Still good books, I just want more to "get some closure."
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Earc for the next Black Tide Rising book, by John Ringo is out. First 5 books follow a family that escapes the zombie-ish apocalypse in a sailboat, rescues some other people and eventually creates a seagoing community that retakes Gitmo and then starts up the Eastern Seaboard.

Book 6 was a collection of short stories from various authors and book 7 is centered on the brother of the main male character from the first 5 books.

And if you're a Ringo fan, read the first paragraph of chapter 2 very closely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Just finished Expeditionary Force book 1.  Skippy cracked me up.
I'd like to start book 2 but it won't download for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just picked up a new audiobook but haven't listened yet.

"We are Legion.  We are Bob"

Anyone have an experience with it?
View Quote
I’ve read the books and am waiting in eager anticipation for the next one. The narrator is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#38]
We are legion : bob was good, i may read the next one.

I thought “terms of enlistment “ was OK, not as good as undying mercenaries series. Do the rest of the boks get better or worse than book one?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We are legion : bob was good, i may read the next one.

I thought “terms of enlistment “ was OK, not as good as undying mercenaries series. Do the rest of the boks get better or worse than book one?
View Quote

The rest of the Terms of Enlistment series is much better than the first book IMHO.  At least until you get to about book six, I think it was, where it kind of loses focus.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Barsoom series is not as good as an almost 50 year old compared to reading when I was a teenager!

Just finishing up “falling free”.  Is this somehow a prequel to the “shards of honor “ series?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Barsoom series is not as good as an almost 50 year old compared to reading when I was a teenager!

Just finishing up “falling free”.  Is this somehow a prequel to the “shards of honor “ series?
View Quote
Yes. Some of that series was written as short stories, or short novelas, then merged together for a larger book. Here's a list of the books and what titles you can find multiple books under. http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga

Shards of Honor and Barrayar are books 1 and 2 of the main series. If you get the book, Cordelias Honor, you get both, plus a short story that takes place in between.

The Vorkosigan Saga is one of my favorite series.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Started this last weekend because of this thread. I’m just about the begin book 4 Machine World.
Lots of fun. Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m on “Death World” now.

My books take lots longer to read now that my commute time is cut down to 30 min/day.

Ive taken to listening while mowing now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Cyteen by CJ Cherryh is long, but one of the best sci-fi books ever written, IMO

The prequel, Downbelow Station is pretty damned good too.

I never liked the critically-acclaimed Outsider stuff, but the rest of Cherryh's work is brilliant, particularly the Faded Sun trilogy.  She's a goofball lesbian, but that doesn't really bother me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just picked up a new audiobook but haven't listened yet.

"We are Legion.  We are Bob"

Anyone have an experience with it?
View Quote
I really enjoyed that series
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I really like Into The Black (Odyssey One series).  It's the first of a 7 (so far) book series.  You can get it for your kindle for $1.99.

Vulcan94
View Quote
Just finished Book 1, pretty good so far.

We are Bob was good as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I like most of ringos stuff my favorite is with David webber, March upcountry series.  Check out Doug Dandridge empires at war series. It's great.  On the first one make sure you start with the several page historical timeline before chapter one.  My favorite posleen book is yellow eyes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top