Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I just re-read The Lost World by Michael Crichton, sequel to Jurassic Park.  Movie was definitely better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just re-read The Lost World by Michael Crichton, sequel to Jurassic Park.  Movie was definitely better.
View Quote
The movie got a lot of bad press. But I liked it a lot. I though Pete Postlethwaite's character (and his double rifle) was impressive and well cast. Malcolm's daughter was annoying. But so was Lex in the first one. I wouldn't have felt bad if the raptors got her.

And may a curse ever be upon those jackwagons who messed with that sweet double rifle.

As an aside, I once took the chance to go to Holland & Holland's showroom in London. It was in a VERY ritzy part of the shopping district. After convincing the security guard that we were okay to come in, I got to drool over some very fancy rifles. Okay, not actual drool. But they did have a couple that were listed at 153K GBP. About $220K at the time.

I asked the shopkeeper what was involved to buy one. As a Brit, a shotgun is mildly annoying to buy. A rifle was a good deal harder, what with permits and justifying your reasons and what not.

Then he laughed and said, "As a Yankee, it's a piece of cake. Your FFL orders one, we ship it to our USA importer who delivers it to your FFL. Just like buying a Remington 870". At that moment, I felt the urge to burst forth with "God Bless America".

And I did make a purchase from the shop. It was an H&H baseball cap. 25GBP or $37USD. Ouchie, but it's all I could pretend to afford in that shop.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Goodfellas.

Nicholas Pelegi's book, Wiseguy, was the basis for the screenplay, also written by Pelegi.

But the movie is a perfect 10, distilling all the important book points into the best gangster drama ever produced. Yes, better than GF or GF2.
View Quote
The book covers so much more material. Movie is great, but barely scratches the surface.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I am going to go out on a limb here on personal preference, but "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Asimov wrote I Robot and foundation.

You might give RH another try. SIASL was different.
View Quote
If you don't appreciate RH's youth books like Starship Troopers, try Friday.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Band of Brothers, a very long movie
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lonesome Dove.  Book was great, but a tad too long.  Movie trims things down and only misses on a few points, which I won't mention here in case somebody hasn't seen/read it yet.
View Quote
Agree. McMurtry is not my favorite author.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Bourne Identity, mostly because Ludlum is a fucking terrible writer
View Quote
The first Bourne book was one of the best books I ever read.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Movie didn’t follow the book at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am going to go out on a limb here on personal preference, but "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
View Quote
The trilogy was awesome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I Am Legend. Book was terrible.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I Am Legend. Book was terrible.
View Quote
Agree
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I did like the book, but really liked Gary Oldman and all the flashbacks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The Amazon Prime series Good Omens is much better than the book.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Forest Gump
LA Confidential
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Memoirs of a geisha

The movie just edges out the book, but I feel that after watching the movie i hot a deeper/ more filled in story with the book.

But the movie was unexpectedly good and better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
No way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way.
Way!

Especially with adding the trials of Aziriphale and Crowley at the end.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top