Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 8/29/2017 10:29:43 AM EDT
Looking for suggestion on a book about Stalin or anything about russia/communism in that era.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
"Stalin: The Court of the Red Czar" is a good one.

Stalin
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Let History Be Judge by Roy Medevev.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stalin
View Quote
Second that. . .very good book---frightening and horrifying. . . .everyone in the USA should thank whatever God they pray to that they were not born into the USSR . . .
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#4]
execution by hunger is an excellent read on the holodomor.

Neighbors from hell is an ok quick read on the German and Russian occupations of Poland.

I will add some more later, when I have access to my kindle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Stalin: Breaker of Nations was sort of the gold standard biography for years and a very good introduction for those not familiar with Russian/Soviet history.  It is about 25 years old and I don't know if there is any newer/better alternatives out there.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Second that. . .very good book---frightening and horrifying. . . .everyone in the USA should thank whatever God they pray to that they were not born into the USSR . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stalin
After you've read that one, read this one by the same author for a little comic relief.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I read "Stalin: History of a Dictator" by H. Montgomery Hyde in college, and learned way more about the Soviet system than I had ever dreamed-- also, most of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's books will give you a good close look at Stalin's setup from the inside. Solzhenitsyn had been a Captain in Artillery-- he was pulled out of a fight with the Germans and arrested for "Anti-Soviet Agitation" because he had written in a letter to a cousin nearby that he admired the German hardware, how durable it was and how it always worked-- eight years in prison-- one problem with these books is in the Russian names, but if you can get past that there is much recognizable from the Democrats' play book-- it's all pure Marx-Stalin, all of it, and it must be stopped--
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top