Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 7/13/2017 12:51:31 AM EDT
Copied from his FaceBook:

So, what's going on in John Land?After months of sitting in the dark, smoking cigars, drinking coffee and wandering far afield of anything 'writable' I finally got back on the horse. Big problem I finally realized was I got two (TWO) computers at Xmas to replace my failing laptop and neither of them worked.So I went out with my friend, Ginger Williams, and found a computer that worked for me. Which, unsurprisingly, was a more or less updated copy of the broken one.And started writing right away. (Special Circumstances. Yes, not my most popular series but I'll take what I can get.)Problem.I've also got the following going on:Chris and KC have finished their collaboration (Gunpowder and Embers) and I need to get to work on 'my' part of that. Universe was created for Larry Correia but we went in a different direction. Sort of steampunk/western/post-apocalypse coming-of-age tale.Mike Massa is approaching finished on his 'Tom Smith' BTR novel (More than His Salt). Not only does that require my 'touch' we're having to work out some plot issues at the ending. And I agreed to write certain scenes in full.I've got a short to do for the next BTR anthology.And then there's the BTR video we're trying to raise money to do.https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/black-tide-rising-film#/I'm very interested in doing another collab with a young lady named Lydia Sherrer I met at LibertyCon. She's a YA writer whose style I like and I'm interested in working with her on the TransD Hunter universe. (Mostly cause I really like the main character. And it would be a great YA IMO.)I promised Stephen Michael Stirling a blurb for his upcoming novel and I curled into a ball playing depressed possum instead. I'm professionally chagrined.I'm also swamped.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No Empire of Man updates?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Next book is in David's hands, they discussed it over dinner at the beginning of the month, hopefully David has caught up enough on the other books that were delayed by his getting sick and having eye surgery that it gets finished soon to get added to the publishing schedule.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish he'd do another book in the Aldenata series. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are two more planned to finish it out, but I'm not sure he can do it in just two books, which may be part of why he's having a difficult time writing the next one.  He DID ask folk to help put together a character database of that universe a while ago, to help him with the next book.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are two more planned to finish it out, but I'm not sure he can do it in just two books, which may be part of why he's having a difficult time writing the next one.  He DID ask folk to help put together a character database of that universe a while ago, to help him with the next book.
View Quote
Excellent! Probably my favorite sci-fi series.
Never heard about the database thing though, looks like I'm going back and re-reading the series.....again. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm about over the Aldenata series, but I'd take another Looking Glass book...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I was hoping for some more books int eh Troy series.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was hoping for some more books int eh Troy series.
View Quote
Jimmy Almandio John let's get back to the hot gates, there's so much still to tell.LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 3 · July 13 at 12:15amManageHide 12 Replies
John Ringo There is. And I will. That series is writhing in my head, though.Like · Reply · 15 · July 13 at 12:23amManage
Jimmy Almandio John ringo!!!!! Thanks bud, looking forward to it.Like · Reply · July 13 at 12:24amManage
John Ringo "E Eridani. Now."
Tyler Alexander Vernon, Chairman of the Board of LFD Industries, was carrying his space suit and an AI core as he boarded the Starfire, his personal shuttle-craft.
"Sir," his pilot commed. "With due respect, there's a battle raging inEridani. All civilian traffic is on hold."
"One, you might remember where I started," Tyler said, stripping quickly and starting to don his suit. "Not my first rodeo. Two. I'm Tyler God Damned Vernon. I go wherever the fuck I please. Hatch is green. Move out. Argus, get me all my subordinate CEOs."
"Yes, sir," the AI said. 
"On the line, sir," Gregory Vance said. The sixty-two year old was Chief Executive Officer of Apollo Corporation, founder and Chairman of the Board one Tyler Alexander Vernon.
"That was quick," Tyler said as his plant pinged that David Skiles, CEO of SAPL Corporation and /// CEO of LFD, Inc., the parent company of both mega corporations, also joined the conversation. Tyler's sometimes finicky personal AI had apparently pulled the panic bar. "Even for me you're usually harder to get ahold of."
"Pretty much everyone is following the battle in Eridani, sir," Vance replied. "I won't say work is shut down but let's say we all had a moment."
"Which is where I'm headed," Tyler replied.
"Right now?" Skiles asked. The former general had a fairly good appreciation of the current military situation in the star system just one jump through the Grtul gate. "Not a wise move, sir."
"General," Tyler said. "There are over one hundred thousand humans and Rangora stranded in the system. Our premier rescue force, the light boat squadrons, just got wiped away. There is one boat left from the 143rd. There are some 142nd boats in repair in Troy. That is it for rescue boats. This is the same type of vessel. It is needed in Eridani. Now. And I won't be alone. Which is the subject of the conversation. All operations in Wolf and Terra are on hold except speeding up the work on Troy and minimum support operations. Every boat we've got that can barely be spared move it to Eridani. This is Dunkirk in space. Everything. No exceptions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jimmy Almandio John let's get back to the hot gates, there's so much still to tell.LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 3 · July 13 at 12:15amManageHide 12 Replies
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-1/c8.0.48.48/p48x48/14102382_10153766567665887_4348278717586239389_n.jpg?oh=9defa0bffb30e146290e0d106bd4da6c&oe=5A0A5E2FJohn Ringo There is. And I will. That series is writhing in my head, though.Like · Reply · 15 · July 13 at 12:23amManage
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-1/p48x48/18342708_1918209665124905_7287226270754275791_n.jpg?oh=0a8496e0d13438f6cee6585c565f7932&oe=5A0F356FJimmy Almandio John ringo!!!!! Thanks bud, looking forward to it.Like · Reply · July 13 at 12:24amManage
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-1/c8.0.48.48/p48x48/14102382_10153766567665887_4348278717586239389_n.jpg?oh=9defa0bffb30e146290e0d106bd4da6c&oe=5A0A5E2FJohn Ringo "E Eridani. Now."
Tyler Alexander Vernon, Chairman of the Board of LFD Industries, was carrying his space suit and an AI core as he boarded the Starfire, his personal shuttle-craft.
"Sir," his pilot commed. "With due respect, there's a battle raging inEridani. All civilian traffic is on hold."
"One, you might remember where I started," Tyler said, stripping quickly and starting to don his suit. "Not my first rodeo. Two. I'm Tyler God Damned Vernon. I go wherever the fuck I please. Hatch is green. Move out. Argus, get me all my subordinate CEOs."
"Yes, sir," the AI said. 
"On the line, sir," Gregory Vance said. The sixty-two year old was Chief Executive Officer of Apollo Corporation, founder and Chairman of the Board one Tyler Alexander Vernon.
"That was quick," Tyler said as his plant pinged that David Skiles, CEO of SAPL Corporation and /// CEO of LFD, Inc., the parent company of both mega corporations, also joined the conversation. Tyler's sometimes finicky personal AI had apparently pulled the panic bar. "Even for me you're usually harder to get ahold of."
"Pretty much everyone is following the battle in Eridani, sir," Vance replied. "I won't say work is shut down but let's say we all had a moment."
"Which is where I'm headed," Tyler replied.
"Right now?" Skiles asked. The former general had a fairly good appreciation of the current military situation in the star system just one jump through the Grtul gate. "Not a wise move, sir."
"General," Tyler said. "There are over one hundred thousand humans and Rangora stranded in the system. Our premier rescue force, the light boat squadrons, just got wiped away. There is one boat left from the 143rd. There are some 142nd boats in repair in Troy. That is it for rescue boats. This is the same type of vessel. It is needed in Eridani. Now. And I won't be alone. Which is the subject of the conversation. All operations in Wolf and Terra are on hold except speeding up the work on Troy and minimum support operations. Every boat we've got that can barely be spared move it to Eridani. This is Dunkirk in space. Everything. No exceptions.
View Quote
Troy is good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hell I'm still waiting for a Council War update.

But I think he's given up on it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Council Wars was his worst-performing series (although paperback sales picked it up a bit), so Jim Baen and David Drake encouraged him to drop it and move on to something else, which was where the Looking Glass series came from (and that one requires that he work with Travis Taylor, who has a very busy schedule), so it is the series he is least likely to work on, even though it was technically his first one.  He just won't let anybody see the first book he wrote which was a prequel to the entire series, he says it's a typical "first novel" full of all kinds of writing mistakes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I love John's work and own most of it.  I hate to say this and it's not my place but I wish he would not spend time on a Black Tide Rising anthology.  I love the universe but the Anthology sucked.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love John's work and own most of it.  I hate to say this and it's not my place but I wish he would not spend time on a Black Tide Rising anthology.  I love the universe but the Anthology sucked.  
View Quote
He actually doesn't spend that much time on the anthologies, that's mostly handled by Gary Poole (yes, there is another anthology being put together, probably out late next year, since I think the deadline for submissions is in late October or November), other than writing whichever short stories he puts in them. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Been meaning to ask you about this. 

What's the deal with the lemon and the tomb in the first Council Wars book? Didn't get the reference. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been meaning to ask you about this. 

What's the deal with the lemon and the tomb in the first Council Wars book? Didn't get the reference. 
View Quote
That should be in a FAQ somewhere...  Visitors to General Stonewall Jackson's tomb in Lexington, VA, near VMI where he taught for ten years, often leave lemons on the tomb.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Any word on when Monster Hunter Saints is coming out?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any word on when Monster Hunter Saints is coming out?
View Quote
February 2018.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

February 2018.
View Quote
So far!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So far!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

February 2018.
So far!
Worse, I misread it, the paperback of Sinners is in February, Saints is July according to Amazon (publisher hasn't released that date, but there's no good reason it won't make that date, other than Larry deciding to tinker and killing off an important character in Sinners... oops...  Now he gets to fix that plot hole...)
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Worse, I misread it, the paperback of Sinners is in February, Saints is July according to Amazon (publisher hasn't released that date, but there's no good reason it won't make that date, other than Larry deciding to tinker and killing off an important character in Sinners... oops...  Now he gets to fix that plot hole...)
View Quote
Now I have to read sinners again I forgot who got killed off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually haven't read the released edition of Sinners, though my wife has, to see what all Larry changed.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Council Wars was his worst-performing series (although paperback sales picked it up a bit), so Jim Baen and David Drake encouraged him to drop it and move on to something else, which was where the Looking Glass series came from (and that one requires that he work with Travis Taylor, who has a very busy schedule), so it is the series he is least likely to work on, even though it was technically his first one.  He just won't let anybody see the first book he wrote which was a prequel to the entire series, he says it's a typical "first novel" full of all kinds of writing mistakes.
View Quote
Speaking of Ringo and Drake, Princess of Wands - good natured or not so much?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good natured, they're friends.  Drake got him back not long afterward.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ex and I make cameos in that one, and I know the majority of people portrayed in the book.  The group at the convention is basically the group I hang out with at conventions as it existed then, the particular convention that was used as the basis for that setup no longer exists (it actually combined features of two conventions that no longer exist, we had range trips set up at both of them, now we're down to one convention where we run a range trip in conjunction with the convention, and that one may not happen next year because the hotel broke the contract and they haven't found a new one for next year, but they have one for the year after).
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My ex and I make cameos in that one, and I know the majority of people portrayed in the book.  The group at the convention is basically the group I hang out with at conventions as it existed then, the particular convention that was used as the basis for that setup no longer exists (it actually combined features of two conventions that no longer exist, we had range trips set up at both of them, now we're down to one convention where we run a range trip in conjunction with the convention, and that one may not happen next year because the hotel broke the contract and they haven't found a new one for next year, but they have one for the year after).
View Quote
I knew most of the red shirts were science fiction writers et al. I never met Jim Baen in person, but the mental image I have is from where he walks back into the main hall after the carnage.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ugh.  That's a long time.  I have actually been re reading a lot of stuff on my shelves as I ran out of interesting new authors to read.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I knew most of the red shirts were science fiction writers et al. I never met Jim Baen in person, but the mental image I have is from where he walks back into the main hall after the carnage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, most of the red shirts were fans, not writers, although some have gotten published since then.  Some people have actually gone out and gotten autographs from all of the people portrayed in that book that they can find (although most of them don't know Barbara, and I forget whether I've met the person Janea is based on).  There was a list at one point of who all of them are (or were, I haven't read it in years, so don't remember if any of the members of the group who have since died were in the book).  Guess I need to read it after I finish re-reading the Paladin of Shadows series.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Toni Weisskopf, the publisher at Baen Books, has announced that the John Ringo and Mike Massa collaboration _The Valley of Shadows_ will be published in November 2018, expanding the story of Tom Smith.  Mike is a former Navy SEAL officer who was OIC of Hell Week at BUD/s and has also worked in corporate risk management, his first publication was in the Black Tide Rising anthology.

Additional schedule updates announced:

September 2018
TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENTLarry Correia's first collection. Worth it for the cover alone, imho.
HER MAJESTY'S AMERICAN by Steve White
ASHES OF VICTORY leatherbound edition

October
UNCOMPROMISING HONOR by David Weber
BLACK TRIUMPH by Brendan DuBois
EARTHQUAKE WEATHER reprint by Tim Powers

November
THE VALLEY OF SHADOWS by John Ringo & Mike Massanew Black Tide Rising novel, taking off from Mike's story in the BTR anthology
A PILLAR OF FIRE BY NIGHT by Tom Kratman

December
ALL THE PLAGUES OF HELL by Eric Flint & Dave Freernew Heirs of Alexandria novel
A STAR WHEELED SKYBrad Torgersen's highly anticipated second novel
SPACE PIONEERSa reprint anthology edited by Hank Davis and Christopher Ruocchio
Plus various other reprints, etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Has Mike Massa written anything other than the story in the BTR anthology?  I did a search and didn't come up with anything.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has Mike Massa written anything other than the story in the BTR anthology?  I did a search and didn't come up with anything.
View Quote
Not that I'm aware of, he's the source of some of the SEAL stories John Ringo has used in books, though (such as the Class 201 story).
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not that I'm aware of, he's the source of some of the SEAL stories John Ringo has used in books, though (such as the Class 201 story).
View Quote
Oh well, I wanted to check some of his stuff while I waited for the BTR book to come out.  I guess I'll have to wait.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I just had a thought, is Zumwald in BTR modeled after Harvey Weinstein?  That would be ironic given his introduction in the book.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top