Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 6/23/2017 5:57:44 PM EDT
Just finished the new book on Apollo 8. Awesome read!  Always great to be reminded that we once had steely eyed missile men astronauts and extremely smart engineers who could accomplish amazing feats by taking on the challenge. Really describes well how no space flight should ever be seen as routine.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the tip, i just put it onto my amazon wish list for a future order. I like reading things about the space race.  Nasa has some goos free pdfs of bopks on their web pages, including some Russian ones from the space race era.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks op.  I'll have to look for it.

In my opinion Apollo 8 was the most important and daring flight.  

It was the first time man left the bounds of Earth and traveled to another heavenly body. Intercepted it actually.  And returned back to Earth.  Another interception.  Proving the math that said it could be done.  

After that it was just a matter of time before we landed on the Moon and came back.  That it came only three missions later is throughly amazing on its own.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the title?  Searched Apollo 8 and a few came up.  

Reading Truth, Lies and O-rings right now, story of Challenger.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It's Apollo 8 by Jeffrey Kluger..  The same guy who helped Lovell write Apollo 13 aka Lost Moon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Just finished the audiobook the other day, great read(listen)!
'Course, I'm a sucker for anything to do with the Space Race, so I'm a bit biased.

8 is my favorite mission, even over 11.

Here's a great video about the Earthrise photograph.
NASA | Earthrise: The 45th Anniversary
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top