Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 3/11/2017 10:21:38 PM EDT
I really enjoy the atmosphere of cyberpunk movies. What are some good books in this genre? Neuromancer and Snow Crash seem to be the most highly praised.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I really enjoy the atmosphere of cyberpunk movies. What are some good books in this genre? Neuromancer and Snow Crash seem to be the most highly praised.
View Quote
Voice of the Whirlwind by Walter Jon Williams

A man wakes up as a clone, but his memory is 15 years out of date. He tracks the actions of his former self to find out why he never updated his memory. What he finds out is a tale of a horrible war between corporations and first contact with aliens.
Very enjoyable.

Neuromancer is the most atmospheric and is certainly the template that many tried to follow. Lightning in a bottle, though, and dated if you're too young to remember the USSR.

Snow Crash was OK. Like all of Stephenson's work it is crammed with amazing ideas and plot devices. but then he seems to run out of story.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I was reading Gibson's stuff back when it was coming out and we were waiting for the next one.....

Wilhelmina Baird wrote a series starting with 'Crashcourse' back then that was pretty good at the time.

Naturally Phillip K. Dick and Bladerunner kinda stuff, too, but he wrote Electric Sheep way before most other people tumbled to the idea.

ETA:
Had to add an apostrophe for possessive.... sorry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Stross, Accelerondo. I think he has some others but I haven't read them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I enjoyed Snow Crash, but I liked Stephenson's The Diamond Age even more. The latter is the Stephenson novel I recommend most frequently. It is less cyberpunk-ish though, perhaps. It is speculated to take place further down the timeline of the same world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.  It's the first of a 3 book series.  It is being turned into an Netflix series right now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
2nd the recommendation for Altered Carbon.  Fantastic trilogy.

Anyone read Nexus by Ramez Naam?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive by Gibson.

Hardwired and Voice of the Whirlwind by Walter Jon Williams.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought the graphic novel when it first came out. Waited and waited for it to be completed...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone read Nexus by Ramez Naam?
View Quote
Yes. I absolutely loved the Nexus trilogy. I didn't like the second book as much, but I think the third one did a good job paying it off. The ending of the third book actually made me cry a little.

I also like Neuromancer (didn't much care for the second sprawl book, but the third one I thought was interesting) and Snow Crash.

I read Altered Carbon recently. It's got a few eye-rolling lines of dialogue, and there's a couple of scenes in the middle I thought were a little gratuitous, but on the balance it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The Mirrored Heavens by David J. Williams is great. I'd call it a cross between Cyberpunk and Hard Future Sci Fi, as there's the urban insanity of Neuromancer plus some pretty nasty space combat - but all plausible, earth-moon base combat based on nuclear propulsion, no exploring the gallaxy at lightspeed space opera.

Very gritty and fast paced - closest rush I've found to Neuromancer.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirrored-Heavens-David-J-Williams/dp/0553591568?tag=vglnk-c102-20

State of Decay by James Knapp. Interesting future where the majority of soldiers are the dead brought back to life with nano-tech. It becomes sort of Cyber Punk / Noir detective when this tech is imported into a major city by a sophisticated criminal network for use in covert assassinations. Really enjoyed the series as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072Q2774?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Also, if you end up liking Altered Carbon - The Steel Remains by Richard K is also fantastic, albeit very different. Alternate past era Swords and Meth with brutal, gay protagonist.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345493044?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Mirrorshades was pretty awesome but it's a collection of short stories.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Islands in the Net - Bruce Sterling

Rudy Rucker has some good stuff, Freeware (good but weird) and the rest of the "Ware" series are OK.

There was one I really liked where a stealth aircraft changed course and landed because the pilot passed out to be sneakier, and had a guy that had enhanced dogs that killed every rabbit in the county. Now I don't remember the name.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was one I really liked where a stealth aircraft changed course and landed because the pilot passed out to be sneakier, and had a guy that had enhanced dogs that killed every rabbit in the county. Now I don't remember the name.
View Quote
I think that was Count Zero, the second novel in the Sprawl Trilogy.

A main character's brother has dogs that are cybernetically enhanced with infrared vision, and early on he gets around in a stealth jet, but I don't recall the clever combat AI thing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
You want the dirty and hungry mob against the perfect chrome?

Diamond Age gives you quite a nice taste.

The Shadowrun novel series are purely this. Poor chumers trying to make it big and mostly failing.

Super Sales on Super Heroes by William D. Arand has a unique view.
Guy can do anything. But only TO things he owns...
Very dark and brutal world.
Better to live a slave then have no rights at all...

B. V. Larson Undying Mercenaries is a master piece.
Centerpiece are the consequences if you could be rebuilt on death.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The Diamond Age or: a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

by Neal Stephenson.

utterly incredible
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The Red Trilogy by Linda Nagata
Shift tense by Patrick Todoroff
Running Black (Eshu International Book 1) by Patrick Todoroff
The Identity Trilogy by Mel Odom - good series set in the Android universe.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top