Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 9/23/2016 2:04:13 AM EDT
“I’m a seething cauldron of disconnected rage on the inside, Lieutenant.”

“Ah, repression,” Keyes said. “Excellent. Try to avoid taking a potshot at me when you finally blow, please.”

“I can’t promise anything, sir,” Alan said.”
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent start to the series. Tapered off from there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
He's written some excellent books, too bad he's a hard corp Progressive.

The Old Man's War series was great, and so was "The Androids Dream" and "Agent to the Stars" both extremely funny.
After Old Man's War he seems to have drifted off into a blind alley.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Loved it. Check out Armor by John Steakley.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend Redshirts.  I knew just enough about Star Trek to understand all the inside jokes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I read the whole series.  Like said above, after it starts out great with Old Man's War, which I think is nearly as entertaining to read as Starship Troopers or The Forever War, and very much in the same vein, it goes down hill from there.  

In real life, Scalzi is a king sized douchebag, if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Old Man's War was a great book, I loved it.  Scalzi kept the theme of "The Galaxy is a brutal place and we're going to have to do fucked up things if we want to survive."  Later books it becomes "Turns out everyone else in the galaxy is kind and peaceful and it's all our fault that there's so much war" and it becomes a very thinly veiled criticism of Bush era America.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This (to both).
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd recommend Redshirts.  I knew just enough about Star Trek to understand all the inside jokes.
View Quote
Great book.

Enjoyed the Old Mans War series.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I read Old Man's War a month or two ago, really really enjoyed it.

Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yes, Armor is real good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Guess I'm gonna have to be 'that guy'.  I liked Old Man's War well enough, but I wouldn't call it on par with Armor or Starship Troopers.  Probably a bit better than than Honor Harrington (Scalzi's a better wordsmith than Weber).

And Redshirts...I guess I was expecting too much, seeing as how it won a Hugo and all.  I mean, it was fun, but it wasn't that much better than, say, Ready Player One.

Pretty good, but overrated is how I would describe Old Man's War and John Scalzi's work in general (though I have only read the two books, so maybe I'm not giving him a fair shake.  He was, after all, involved in making Stargate Universe, which probably would have been my favorite Stargate series if it had gone four or five seasons.)
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guess I'm gonna have to be 'that guy'.  I liked Old Man's War well enough, but I wouldn't call it on par with Armor or Starship Troopers.  Probably a bit better than than Honor Harrington (Scalzi's a better wordsmith than Weber).

And Redshirts...I guess I was expecting too much, seeing as how it won a Hugo and all.  I mean, it was fun, but it wasn't that much better than, say, Ready Player One.

Pretty good, but overrated is how I would describe Old Man's War and John Scalzi's work in general (though I have only read the two books, so maybe I'm not giving him a fair shake.  He was, after all, involved in making Stargate Universe, which probably would have been my favorite Stargate series if it had gone four or five seasons.)
View Quote

IMO Ready Player One was far better. I found Redshirts to be...decent, but hardly anything that deserved an award.

OMW was good, but he seems to be getting more and more derivative as time goes by.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I read it based on recommendations here on arfcom.  The narrator was good and the story was good enough to keep me engaged, with a few cool elements--but overall average.  I have not picked up anything else in the series or by this author.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Once, a Hugo meant a great read.
Now, pretty much means "SJW trophy work".
I include Redhirts in that category.
So, no more Barefoot Johnny for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I found Old Man's War to be fun and imaginative. Forever War was thoughtful, has some of my favorite book physics, and I loved how far out it got towards the end. Starship troopers was exciting, intelligent, and showy. I wanted to like Armor, but I just couldn't get into it.

I tend to avoid sequels written after an initially successful sci-if book that I like. I think ai'm still suffering from trauma from the Dune series.

While I'm glad I read the first OMW, I feel like I'm not missing much by staying away from the sequels.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like this type of book, I would highly recommend Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top