Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 8/16/2016 4:25:24 PM EDT
I love the first law series and the side story books.  

Looking for more dark fantasy like him.  What do you guys suggest?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
His other trilogy, Half a King, Half a War, and Half the World, are great, too.

Black Company books by Glen Cook.

Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan.

And of course Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Oh, and The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I've read Black Company and A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm looking for more Violence.  I'm having The Bloody Nine rage murdering withdrawl.   I actually just got done reading Sharp Ends and the last scene of the book really made me miss Logan Ninefingers.

I bought Half a King, but I haven't read it yet.  I should probably start that up.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
http://bestfantasybooks.com/gritty-fantasy.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm looking for more Violence.  I'm having The Bloody Nine rage murdering withdrawl.   I actually just got done reading Sharp Ends and the last scene of the book really made me miss Logan Ninefingers.

I bought Half a King, but I haven't read it yet.  I should probably start that up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a loooot darker than Abercrombie but r Scott Bakker's second apocalypse series is outstanding.  

If you're missing the bloody nine, you might enjoy Some of the battle scenes in Bakker's books.   The best two examples of   barbarian warriors   I've ever come across in fiction were Logan Ninefingers and Cnaiur Skiotha (Bakker's version).  Both are powerful but also intelligent, cunning and vicious as hell.  Cnaiur is also a genuinely tormented soul with powerful motivation which was fun to uncover.  

Patrick rothfuss was ok, but his second book was nowhere near as good as his first book.  Plus he strikes me as a SJW.  Female super soldiers who men can't hope to compete against, the crazy moon chick in the sewers, how Kvothes enemy is like a clone of Draco Malfoy...etc.  plus his novella/short story thing that he released as his big announcement last year was like the gayest thing I've ever read.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's a loooot darker than Abercrombie but r Scott Bakker's second apocalypse series is outstanding.  

If you're missing the bloody nine, you might enjoy Some of the battle scenes in Bakker's books.   The best two examples of   barbarian warriors   I've ever come across in fiction were Logan Ninefingers and Cnaiur Skiotha (Bakker's version).  Both are powerful but also intelligent, cunning and vicious as hell.  Cnaiur is also a genuinely tormented soul with powerful motivation which was fun to uncover.  

Patrick rothfuss was ok, but his second book was nowhere near as good as his first book.  Plus he strikes me as a SJW.  Female super soldiers who men can't hope to compete against, the crazy moon chick in the sewers, how Kvothes enemy is like a clone of Draco Malfoy...etc.  plus his novella/short story thing that he released as his big announcement last year was like the gayest thing I've ever read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read Bakker's prince of nothing series.  I dont remember much wxcept for real heady stuff and lots of bloodshed.  I' might have to check out Skiotha's book then.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Be warned the Half a King series of books are Young Adult fiction.  So while well written, they are definitely toned down from Abercrombie's other works.  I didn't realize Half a King was YA fiction until I was about 3/4 of the way through, because I asked a friend (who had read it earlier) if they found it a bit "tamer" than other works by Abercrombie, and the answer I received was "of course, it's YA fiction".
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#7]
David Gemmel - Legend

It seems almost all of his books have a siege in it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Brian Ruckley, Winterbirth and the sequels.  Should be around $7 in paperback or kindle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like you.  You and I can be friends.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Heroes Die by Matthew Stover.  The main protagonist isn't the typical 6'5" muscle bound brute, he's more of an anti-hero. The books are epic if you enjoyed Abercrombie.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out Heroes Die by Matthew Stover.  The main protagonist isn't the typical 6'5" muscle bound brute, he's more of an anti-hero. The books are epic if you enjoyed Abercrombie.
View Quote

Oh, MAN, I can't believe I forgot Heroes Die!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Dark fantasy?

Malazan Book of the Fallen...it will keep you busy for a while. Get the Esslemont books and the short stories as well.

I should be getting my copy on the new Esslemont book Dancer's Lament today if the delivery driver doesn't get squished by a falling tree or something.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I like you.  You and I can be friends.
View Quote

I can always use more friends.  My mommy says they are good for me

I had completely forgotten about this thread but I'm glad o wasn't the only one completely let down by Rothfuss's bullshit after 2013.  Doubt I'll even buy book 3 which is a shame cuz book 1 had sooo much promise.  

Some guys really can't handle the pressure and the formerly amazing series just turns to shit.  GRRM is the patron saint of those authors
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dark fantasy?

Malazan Book of the Fallen...it will keep you busy for a while. Get the Esslemont books and the short stories as well.

I should be getting my copy on the new Esslemont book Dancer's Lament today if the delivery driver doesn't get squished by a falling tree or something.
View Quote

I really tried to get into that series but I could never stop feeling like I was an outsider since I don't play tabletop card games.  True story
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love the first law series and the side story books.  

Looking for more dark fantasy like him.  What do you guys suggest?
View Quote

Just thought of another one.  

Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell.  

It's not fantasy, it's historical fiction (with a few fantasy elements every once in awhile).  Lots of biting social commentary about medieval Christianity and politics (from the perspective of a pagan no less), lots of vicious violence, clever jokes...etc.  

It's popular and now has a tv show on Netflix, called the Last Kingdom.  Check that out to see if you like the premise.  Naturally the book is better (though the show is still great).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I really enjoyed Kel Kades first two books third in the series in coming in a month.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top