Page General » Books
Site Notices
Page / 64
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Book report when you're done medicman.

Right now I'm reading the original "Go Girl!" book, Lady Death.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
History of Early Rome - Livy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Just starting on the Extinction series by Nicholas Sansbury Smith

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
ARFCOM GD book section?! Seems like a paradox. I just started A.B. Guthrie's, "The Big Sky".
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Mikhail Baryatinskiy's The IS Tanks (IS-1, IS-2, IS-3).  I put down Lady Death to read this booklet today.  The author is Russian and has access to information not readily accessible to us in the West.  It's got the most technical and descriptive discussion on the IS-I, IS-II and the IS-III.  The Germans ate up the IS-I with it thinner, less sloped armor.  Only a handful were made before being replaced with the IS-II.  The IS-II were more vulnerable than I thought.  Three different noses and the early, bent nose was the most vulnerable.  Even the lower glacis of the later third model of the IS-II needed additional armor (generally in the form of spare tracks).  Both were vulnerable to infantry panzerfaust/shreck weapons.  There is one account of a small hole in a JS-II and all four crew men dead because of of a hollow charge weapon.

Back to Lady Death.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Laura Tohe's Code Talker Stories.  Navajo woman Laura Tohe speaks the language and uses it to interview some surviving Code Talkers.  Each man tells his own experience about the war.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Rick Hatcher (now retired from NPS):  The Battle of Wilson's Creek and the Struggle for Missouri
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea - by Masaji Ishikawa
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942, by Ian Toll.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#13]
“Sam Walton: made in America “

Autobiography of founder of Wal Mart
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Started reading Prince of Mercenaries by Jerry Pournelle.  "Lost" it in my wife's car (finally found it under the passenger seat).  So, I started reading All the Traps of Man by Clifford D. Simak.  Somehow, in the middle of this I ran across Vectors by Charles Sheffield and started that.

First time I can remember being into 3 books at the same time.  Two?  Sure.  Several times in 50 years.  Not three.

Trying to finish off Prince of Mercenaries as it's a good old book.  Then I think All the Traps of Man will be next.  I've read several books by Simak over the years that were very good books (The Silkie, Way Station, The Goblin Reservation, and a few more).
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: misc] [#16]
A Casual View of America: Rothschild Letters 1859-1861. Edited by Sigmund Diamond.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I just finished reading The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell.  It's a novel about a boy born with red eyes (ocular albinism) and his life.

What an excellent book.

It's one of those books that stay with you forever.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Perfectibilists: The 18th Century Bavarian Order of the Illuminati by Terry Melanson.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The Red Badge of Courage.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Two going on right now.

Nonfiction history of the rise and fall of the Comanche Indians:

And a pulpy sci-fi adventure.  If you like Dietz's novels, then I'd recommend this one.

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Rereading Stephen Wise's Gate of Hell.  It's about the siege of Morris Island outside of Charleston, SC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Two going on right now.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN3MDGAnd a pulpy sci-fi adventure.  If you like Dietz's novels, then I'd recommend this one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90CEJM
View Quote
Ive had the commanche book in my que for some time, will he interested in hearing your thoughts when finished a
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
Ive had the commanche book in my que for some time, will he interested in hearing your thoughts when finished a
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Two going on right now.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN3MDGAnd a pulpy sci-fi adventure.  If you like Dietz's novels, then I'd recommend this one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90CEJM
I've read it, and it is pretty comprehensive, but really specializes around Quanah Parker, excellent book
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Rereading Ed Bearss’ The Vicksburg Campaign, Vol III.   Its the best book on the Siege of Vicksburg.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Two going on right now.  
www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN3MDG
I liked the Empire book a lot, especially with some of the events being local to me in North Texas.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Monster Hunter Nemesis.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By VelvetJones:
Monster Hunter Nemesis.
View Quote
probably my 2nd favorite behind Alpha
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Sniper's Honor by Stephen Hunter
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Countdown: The Liberators by Tom Kratman
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Attempting to do The God Delusion on audiobook but they have the author and a woman trading off narration and it is unpleasant. They trade off randomly, sometimes in the same paragraph. Just terrible.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Catch-22
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Just finished a re-read of The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson.  WWII European campaign broken down into a book each for North Africa, Italian and Mainland Europe.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Blood Makes the Grass Grow by Mike Peshmerganor

A Norwegian ethnic Kurd who is a veteran of the Norwegian miktery tells his story of returning to Northern Iraq and fighting ISIS.  I followed him on Instagram while he was over there fighting. It’s been a great book so far, I haven’t been able to put it down.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#36]
D. Brown's The Galvanized Yankees.  It's about the Corn-feds who fought for the Union in the West against the N-D-Ns.  They were disliked by their southern brethen and unwanted by the post-war GAR.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:32:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#37]
Earlier I read The Angry Angel of Chinatown about Donaldina Cameron who rescued many Chinese girls (along with some Japanese and whites) from slavery in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I knew of her and Cameron House when I grew up, but never any details about her or her work.  Her building at 920 Sacramento Street still stands today.

Just finished Bryan Mark Riggs' Lives of Hiter's Jewish Soldiers.  While I was aware of the Luftwaffe's Field Marshal E. Milch, I did not know that Bernhard Rogge, skipper of the hilfskreuzer (auxiliary cruiser) Atlantis had some Jewish blood.  Fritz Bayerlein, one of Rommel's leading officer in DAK as well as commander of Panzer Lehr division had not only Jewish blood but a homosexual!  There are a lot of other lesser or unknown soldiers who had Jewish blood that the author examines including their struggle against discrimination, knowledge that their families were persecuted at home.  Not to denigrate the experience of the Jews in Europe, The only thing remotely close to this is the Japanese Americans who served in the 442 (but no genocide) and the American Indians.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#38]
The Ape that Understood the Universe by Steve Stewart-Williams.

I’m convinced that humanity will be saved by evolutionary psychologists/biologists.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#39]
the Hero has a Thousand Faces.

again.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Finished The Leopard and the Cliff by Wallace Breem.  You may know my esteem for his book Eagle in the Snow, which is probably one of my top 5 books.  So I have been seeking out his other ones.  Leopard is a story of a British frontier officer in Afghanistan during a border war in the 1920s.  It was interesting enough but nothing in comparison to Eagle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#42]
The Unknown Stalin by Roy Medevez.  I read his other book, Let History Be Judge about Stalin decades ago.  Just watched The Death of Stalin and the very first chapter of The Unknown Stalin talks about the Stalin's death and how it was handled by the Soviets.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m halfway through The Hobbit and when I finish I’ll start The Lord of the Rings.  It’s my first time reading them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got done with "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson.  I am not sure which is the bigger steaming pile of crap "ReamDe" or "Anathem".  Stephenson has written some of my favorite works and essays...but his recent work is utter drek.  Just plain shit.  I tossed it in the trash after I was done.

I moved onto something lighter and ENJOYABLE:  Charles Sheffield's "Dark as Day" which stars my favorite, morbidly obese hero "The Bat"!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:15:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#45]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Just got done with "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson.  I am not sure which is the bigger steaming pile of crap "ReamDe" or "Anathem".  Stephenson has written some of my favorite works and essays...but his recent work is utter drek.  Just plain shit.  I tossed it in the trash after I was done
View Quote

{deep, cleansing breaths to deactivate fanboy defense}
Dude, that is harsh.  May Amnectrus hit you cleanly when you scale the walls with the rest of the benighted peasantry

And Seveneves is fantastic.  Mongoliad was interesting for a group project.  DODO was mostly the co-author.

Coincidentally I am reading REAMDE again.  I too thought it was crap when it came out.  Maybe it would have been a good action/spy novel if it wasn't by Stephenson.  Shades of his early novel Cobweb.  But then I was watching a bunch of old interviews from that publicity tour and I realized I couldn't remember a damn thing about the book.  He's talking about some interesting themes.  Can't find my copy in the house, must have sold it.  Go to half price, no paperbacks, only one hardback.  Possibly could be the copy I sold back to them...  Enjoying it so far.  Solid Earthtone Coalition here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:20:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Remembered Prisoners of a Forgotten War by Lewis Carlson.  It's about the Korean War PoWs.  Brutal what they did to our guys.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Dude, that is harsh.  May Amnectrus hit you cleanly when you scale the walls with the rest of the benighted peasantry

And Seveneves is fantastic.  Mongoliad was interesting for a group project.  DODO was mostly the co-author.

Coincidentally I am reading REAMDE again.  I too thought it was crap when it came out.  Maybe it would have been a good action/spy novel if it wasn't by Stephenson.  Shades of his early novel Cobweb.  But then I was watching a bunch of old interviews from that publicity tour and I realized I couldn't remember a damn thing about the book.  He's talking about some interesting themes.  Can't find my copy in the house, must have sold it.  Go to half price, no paperbacks, only one hardback.  Possibly could be the copy I sold back to them...  Enjoying it so far.  Solid Earthtone Coalition here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Just got done with "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson.  I am not sure which is the bigger steaming pile of crap "ReamDe" or "Anathem".  Stephenson has written some of my favorite works and essays...but his recent work is utter drek.  Just plain shit.  I tossed it in the trash after I was done

One of my favorites is Zodiac.  I coudn't believe how much I loved that book.

Snow Crash was just over the top fantastic  Cryptonomicon introduced me to Cryptocurrency and the datahaven concept....

but "the Diamond Age".  Now THAT is a masterpiece of futurism.  I have read that damn book so many times I have lost count.

The first half of REAMDE had me thinking, "Damn dude, get out of my head."  The last half just sucked.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished, The Sea Wolf by Jack London. Starting, A More Complete Beast by Jack Donovan.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Just finished H-Hour, the third book in the Countdown series by Tom Kratman. He's probably one of my top 5 favorite writers, especially in scifi
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By strider98:
Just finished H-Hour, the third book in the Countdown series by Tom Kratman. He's probably one of my top 5 favorite writers, especially in scifi
View Quote
Thanks @strider98

Looks like something I would pick up!

Currently reading Deep Silence from Jonathan Maberry. Just one in the long Joe Ledger series
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top